HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Self Diagnosis (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47008)

Delaney 10-02-2010 02:14 PM

Self Diagnosis

I am on tyverb/xeloda daily plus 3 weekly herceptin for mets to skin, chest and lung. Last scan showed lung mets shrinking and I can see the skin mets disappearing with each herceptin dose.
I am trying to keep my EF up so started to exercise, walking and skipping. Am not great at skipping, can only do 20 skips at a time. I do not get breathless but afterwards I feel a tightening in my chest, as if theres something wrong inside my ribs. Had a check up in radiotherapy dept last week and Doc does not think its mets to rib. He sent me for chest x-ray, will get results next week.
I think maybe the xeloda has stopped working and maybe my lungs are getting worse. Would not mind being taken off xeloda as my hands and feet are in a terrible state. I am using Udderly Smooth and Compeed blister packs but I am glad the cold weather is coming because I really need to wear gloves constantly or I leave blood marks everywhere. I think I will request Navelbine. I have another check up on Friday next.
I did a search here but people who have had lung mets all seem to have very different symptons.
I would like to stay on Tyverb and Herceptin with the Navelbine. Has anyone had this combination and did it work? Anyone think my self diagnosis is totally wrong?

Delaney 10-09-2010 07:04 AM

Re: Self Diagnosis

I will just have to stop with the self diagnosis as I got it WRONG! The xeloda is still working (great), also I feel so much better this week, I am putting the sensation in/behind my ribs down to aches and pains from Herceptin.My hands and feet are still like broken parchment but oh well, I can deal with that.

Sandra in GA 10-09-2010 07:14 AM

I am so glad you are feeling better. I have not had experience with mets, so I cannot offer advice. I just wanted you to know that someone is praying for you.
Sandra

Becky 10-09-2010 10:29 AM

I also want to add that rib pain, although should not be ignored, seems to be a big problem with many of us (especially those of us who have had radiation). I experienced it alot early during recovery but still get jabs now - 6 years out!

Also, when it does get colder, my scars ache which my rad onc (who I just saw) says is very natural (as did my surgeon of whom I only had biannual check ups for the first 2 yrs - just saying in case you get scar pulling or pain).

However, I think until you know your own specific (natural) aches and pains, you need to always consult your medical team.

I am thinking about you. Perhaps you should post on the Her2 part about skin remedies for Xeloda side effects. Many women check only that part of the board and many ladies have used Xeloda and have their own methods of dealing with the hand/foot syndrome. Maybe one of their remedies may really help you out.

CarolynME 10-09-2010 12:16 PM

Dulaney,

I am really glad to hear you are feeling better. I have been thinking about and praying for you too. I am really hoping and praying for continued success with your current combination of medicines.

Love,

Carolyn

Jackie07 10-10-2010 04:49 PM

So glad to hear the update.

My oncologist had told me one time that because of the surgery, my chest muscles and ribs 'moved' slightly for adjustment. He believes that's the reason for the 'weird' sensation I have had in that area.

Delaney 10-11-2010 08:47 AM

Jackie, thats exactly the sensation I feel, as if my ribs have moved. When I lie on my side it feels as if there is something moving, I told the doctor it felt like there was a snake in my ribs. I should have kept it simple and just said I felt movement. I think I have chemo brain, cant seem to express myself properly. Thanks everybody for your input.