HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chronic pain- who's got it? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60524)

KristinSchwick 03-14-2014 07:23 PM

Chronic pain- who's got it?

Okay met-sisters,
I've been on so many therapies that the side effects are catching up with me and its hard to figure out where my latest "chronic" pain is coming from now.

I've got horrible pain in my feet and ankles- I think it is neuropathy from my short stent (4 months) on Halaven, but it could also be joint pain from the aromasin (I have bad overall achiness). My feet feel swollen, tired, itchy and hurt even when I'm not on them. The pain is more intense in my right foot, where I had radiation therapy for a pinched nerve from the cancer in my hip. It also could be the cancer itself pressing on something causing bilateral pain.

So I begged my oncologist to put me on some stronger pain killers, tylenol with codeine wasn't cutting it. So now I'm on morphine ER and am surviving with 1-2 pills per day. Anyone know anything about chronic pain? Do you think its from neuropathy? Cancer? or the chemo? Do you have chronic pain and if so what do you take for it. Is it related to bone specific disease or other mets?

Joanne S 03-14-2014 10:23 PM

Re: Chronic pain- who's got it?

It's been so long, I don't know what normal feels like anymore. I have neuropathy in my feet which started while on Carboplatin and Taxol last year. My feet got so bad I had to stop chemo. I have had chronic back pain for years so I understand. I take Neurontin 300 and Motrin 800 2-3 days a day which really helps to take the edge off. Although my pain becomes tolerable with this drugs, unfortunately it makes me so tired so I am inactive and I often take naps during the day.

Prior to chemo, I was on Affinitor and Aromasin for about six months and tolerated them quite well. I took both a bedtime with food. I never felt quite right, but really couldn't figure out what was different either. I know most women have difficultly tolerating these drugs. Actually I found that the more I brushed and took care of my teeth, my gums and mouth felt more sensitive. So I only brushed once a day with a soft children's toothbrush and a small drop of regular toothpaste (nothing with whitening or tartar control in it), I also skipped the Rx mouthwash, flossing, etc.

Kristin, I hope for your continued pain and wellness improvement. May God Almighty hold you in his loving and healing arms.

Dear Lord, have mercy on this young and loving mother. Please lift her pain and help to curb this cancer and restore her health. Amen.

Joanne

Saygoon 03-15-2014 03:43 PM

I had "a spot" as they called it on my pelvic bone that was pressing on a nerve. It got so bad that I couldn't walk. after 5 radiations BINGO no more pain. I still have pain now and then down to my foot. They took me off aromasin for the time being and that ended the body aches. So trial and error the aromasin may be causing your body aches - maybe they could switch you to something else, but the nerve pain I hope is not from cancer but maybe from sciatic problems. As far a pain meds I use a combination of aleve and very stong ibuprophen - together they seem to work. I have bones mets in my spine/pelvic area so I understand your pain. Hope you get some relief soon. Chronic pain can wear you down mentally as well as physically.

KaiM 03-19-2014 07:59 PM

Kristin, I have bone mets to my spine, pelvis and sternum. I totally understand the pain, and have used different over the counter and prescrip meds to deal with the pain. The weird thing now is that I seem to be having pretty severe arthritis in my hands that I can only think must be a side affect of my meds. I have claw hands in the morning and even when I get them working they pretty much ache all day. Hang in there! I think of you whenever I log on here and our similar challenges raising our young ones with stage IV cancer. Hugs!

KristinSchwick 03-20-2014 07:05 PM

KaiM,
I'm not sure I ever noticed that you declared yourself NED until now. That is awesome, I'd like to declare myself- No Evidence of Dead, because I am very much alive and love living life, despite the stage IV diagnosis. We do have alot of similarities, and you are doing awesome! ((Hugs and thanks))
Kristin

Jackie07 03-22-2014 06:04 AM

Kristin,

Have you had an 'echo' lately? Swollen and painful ankle/joint could be a sign of fluid retention due to weakened heart function after chemo/Herceptin. Have you talked to your doctors about it?

Hope you can find out the cause and figure out a way to reduce/eliminate the pain.

Sending you good vibes.

Saygoon 03-23-2014 08:44 PM

No Evidence of Dead - I LOVE IT!

KaiM 03-23-2014 09:33 PM

No Evidence of Dead! That's my new definition of NED, thanks Kristin! ((Hugs))