HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Freak Accident (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54799)

NEDenise 06-17-2012 01:05 PM

My Freak Accident

1 Attachment(s)
Okay...so the x-ray below shows the kind of day I've had. :(

To celebrate Father's Day, my sons and I took my husband and his dad bowling this morning. "Ladies first', they said. So up I stepped.

Now, friends, I'm no pro bowler. But I was taught by my dad...years and years ago...and though I don't always score well...I have beautiful form. In my youth, I once won an award for being "the most graceful bowler".

I stepped up to the approach line. I stood ready...started to move...reach out, pull back, release, glide...and then my foot caught on some kind of debris that was stuck to the flooring. I flew forward...head first...put my other foot down to catch my balance, only to discover that the lanes are freshly oiled on Sunday morning. My foot went flying. My hand went down to break my fall. My head hit the floor. Twice.

I'm told, that it was quite spectacular to watch. Frightening...but spectacularly so.

I was stunned, but not unconscious. People rushed from several lanes away in each direction. Then, many of them rushed away just as quickly when they saw the angle at which my hand rested.

As my husband, father-in-law, and two sons all rushed forward to come to my rescue, I waved them off. I could just see the mayhem that would have ensued if any, or all of them tried to walk on that oily floor. I sat up slowly, without benefit of my hands for support. Then, with as much dignity as I could muster, I slid on my butt, forever ruining the shorts I was wearing, until I got off the oily, messy part of the floor.

It wasn't until I tried to stand up that I realized how much pain I was in and the desire to faint became overwhelming. Anyone looking at my arm could see that something was terribly wrong. I, could feel the wrongness too.

Anyway...
short ambulance ride...
long wait in ER...
lecture from ER nurse because I don't have a port (so inconsiderate of me/so inconvenient for him)...
x-rays...
surgery pep talk-must have surgery to fix "shattered ulna and radius" by end of week...
many Percocet...
splint...
resting at home...
much pain...
hoping for a plan by Tuesday.

Never a dull moment. Still secretly hoping this is a bad dream, and I'm going to wake up any minute. I'm battling cancer. I just had my breasts reconstructed, I shouldn't be having my wrist reconstructed. Someone is very confused!

I know...things could be MUCH worse. But really...was this necessary? :)

Denise

michka 06-17-2012 01:52 PM

Re: My Freak Accident

Oh no! Poor Denise! and you mean they sent you home without taking you in surgery right away? You sure didn't need that. I hope they gave you strong pain killers. I am sending hugs. Michka

Mtngrl 06-17-2012 01:55 PM

Oh, Denise. So sorry.

But you are an excellent story teller, I must say.

ElaineM 06-17-2012 02:37 PM

A BIG OUCH !! I hope you have the surgery asap and heal well. Stay away from the bowling alley on Sundays.
Take good care of yourself. Better yet I think the men in your life should take care of you for a few days. Smile.

Becky 06-17-2012 03:31 PM

Ughh - poor you but what a vision! Keep us informed of your upcoming surgery. Uggh - poor you.

LeahM 06-17-2012 03:51 PM

This is horrible. A Fathers Day that will never be forgotten. How on earth did you type all that??

Percocet is my new pain killer of choice. Take as perscribed and rest....I too can't believe they didn't do surgery immediately.

Rest my friend, I am thinking of you.

Mandamoo 06-17-2012 03:58 PM

oh Denise - ouchie! May your recovery be speedy and painless.
Amanda x

JennyB 06-17-2012 04:25 PM

Rest up and wait for the plan - what shocking bad luck and yes how did you type all of that story???

Jenny

KristinSchwick 06-17-2012 06:01 PM

Denise,
That stinks- I never thought lightening could strike twice, but then it must because we're all here fighting this beast. So sorry to hear this new turn of events. I can't believe the nerve of the ER nurse who complained that you didn't have a port- what an ass. There are bigger issues with ports than just convenience for some random nurse.
God bless and hang in there, I guess be thankful it wasn't worse- like a hip.
Kristin

karen z 06-17-2012 06:10 PM

Denise,
So sorry for this accident. I, too, can not believe you need to "wait on" surgery. I must tell you that you are a very good story teller as MtnGrl mentioned. I could picture it all................in great detail. Hope you are feeling better soon.

LoisLane 06-17-2012 07:00 PM

Oh Denise I am so sorry to hear about this accident. Who would have thought that an innocent outing what end up like that! I dont understand how they would let the public use the lanes it they were oily. That must have been such a fright for your family. I hope you are not in too much pain and get this surgery done ASAP. Take care Denise best wishes Lois

caya 06-17-2012 07:25 PM

Oh dear, Denise - how awful for you. Take every Percoset they give you. Keep us posted... hope you are not in too much pain.

all the best
caya

KsGal 06-18-2012 12:22 AM

My goodness...Denise! That looks like a nasty break. Who would have thought...bowling! ((hugs)) Im so sorry. Like you don't have enough on your plate. I sure hope it feels better real soon.

Ellie F 06-18-2012 02:33 AM

So sorry to hear about this. These things alaways seem to come out of the blue and just when things are looking good.Hopefully it will get sorted soon and then you'll be back on track.
Hugs
Ellie

Ellie F 06-18-2012 02:35 AM

Forgot to ask in my last post if the break is on the arm you had lymphoedema?
Ellie

Bunty 06-18-2012 04:39 AM

Oh Denise - what a story... you poor thing! You certainly did that injury in style. I think it's great that even though you have cancer, you are out there living a full and enjoyable (!) life. Hope you heal well and don't have too much pain. (I ended up in hospital for two months a year after my Stage IV diagnosis with a badly broken leg and arm after a car hit me whilst riding my motorcycle!)
Best wishes
Marie

Pray 06-18-2012 04:58 AM

Blessings to you Denise! I do hope you have a quick recovery!

karen z 06-18-2012 06:31 AM

Please let us know when your surgery is and how long your recovery will be.
kz

snolan 06-18-2012 06:54 AM

That totally stinks, what a bad weekned for you. Good thing is bones heal, just be patient. Life is never dule when we want it to be.
Suzanne

KDR 06-18-2012 08:39 AM

Denise,
I feel for you, dear friend! Hope you are out of pain and on the mend soon.
Why was there oil on the floor of a bowling lane? This sounds ludicrous and I'm mad that my friend was hurt!
Love
Karen
PS When Yasmin was four, she went to a bowling alley party. They gave the little ones the 8 lb. bowling ball. Yasmin dropped hers, her hand stayed in the ball, she went down with it, and split her chin on it, exposing the bone. Yes, we left party and went into plastic surgery.