HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "More than 20 lesions" - MRI report (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57697)

Redwolf8812 04-01-2013 03:14 PM

"More than 20 lesions" - MRI report

In my liver! What the heck did I go through all these months of chemo and an ablation for? Even the ablated area is growing again! I'm so angry! I also feel hopeless. I'm supposed to start TDM1 but herceptin doesn't work for me and isn't TDM1 based on herceptin? Why bother? This is ridiculous!

- Penny

ElaineM 04-01-2013 03:22 PM

Re: "More than 20 lesions" - MRI report

I am sorry to read your news. Perhaps you can ask your doctors about tumor profiling to see which medicines will work the best.
Hang in there and keep going.

KDR 04-01-2013 03:49 PM

Penny,
We all seem to take our turns in the barrel. I am really sorry to hear this news, but don't let it get you down-I know, easier said than done. When I was searching for a trial when it wasn't available at my center AT THE TIME , a MD (minor deity) actually told me Herceptin doesn't work for me. He was irked that I didn't stay on his trial when I wasn't randomized to T-DM1. Long story short, I went back to my "house" and got on the T-DM1 trial, and thus far, the results have been good. I always try to stay one step ahead, looking for what's next...which I believe is somewhere in the immunotherapy department. Why bother? YOU MUST and YOU WILL!
Keep going,
Karen

LeahM 04-01-2013 03:50 PM

Oh Penny, I am so sorry to read this. I have no words...only prayers prayers prayers.
Leah

KsGal 04-01-2013 06:45 PM

I can certainly understand you feeling angry, and Im so sorry to hear this news. If Herceptin didn't work for you, I don't think that necessarily means the TDM1 won't as well. Different combinations work for different people. I am always inspired when I see all those NEDs in KDRs signature! Lots of prayers headed your way...

chrisy 04-01-2013 08:17 PM

Penny,
By definition herceptin alone doesn't work if you have had progression. It needs hep.

I asked the same question before I went on TDM1 - why would this work if herceptin.

My dr gave a much better answer. Because its different! You are not relying on the herceptin to deal with the dancer...you are using it as a targeting mechanism to find the cancer cells and deliver the payload directly to the cell. Keep faith..

Brenda, Sheila and I had a response for that kind of MRI news. It began with W and ended with F.

Hang in here!
Chris

michka 04-02-2013 12:03 AM

Penny, I understand you so well. I had the same questions about TDM1. Herceptin never worked for me. I had 2 dozens of tumors all over, including the liver, when I relapsed. As KDR wrote , "thus far" TDM1 is working well for me. It is worth trying. Be angry and go! Hugs. Michka

Jackie07 04-02-2013 12:37 AM

Wondered if that's one of the reasons why the name has been changed to 'Kadcyla' http://www.immunogen.com/pipeline/tr...mab-emtansine/

Looks like Herceptin only plays the role of a 'vehicle' in this one. The 'toxin' (emtansine) is the one that kills the cancer cells.

Redwolf8812 04-02-2013 04:59 AM

Thanks everyone. I was hesitant to post because I feel like all I do lately is whine, but I knew you'd all make me feel better. Chrisy, you don't know how badly I wanted to title my post with the "begins with W and ends with F"!

I've been praying so hard to decide what to do about work. I just couldn't give it up even though going gave me anxiety. I'm just too hooked on the income. I kind of always thought in my head that the day I have major progression will be the day I definitely retire/quit/go out on disability. So this is it! My husband has been telling me it will be ok, God ALWAYS provides for us, so I've already warned the kids. We're officially low-income. Go get jobs! LOL.

phil 04-02-2013 08:00 AM

As Chrisy said, herceptin alone doesnt work for many, but many of those get a tremendous kick from T DM-1. Lorraine had 7 measureable tumors , and more smaller lesions , never counted. Our oncologist used an analogy at the time about L's liver : " Its' now like weeds in the lawn , the weeds are growing, and more are popping up " , very scary, that was October 2010, and she is now ned since Nov, 2011, in her 29th month . GET T DM-1 ASAP

phil 04-02-2013 08:02 AM

TDM-1 since Nov. 24th , 2010. All those lesions were in liver , and cancer had started squeezing R kidney, and bile duct shut. ALL Gone !! Praise God !

Redwolf8812 04-02-2013 08:11 AM

Phil - Praise God indeed!

KDR 04-02-2013 08:21 AM

Jackie,
KADCYCLA was born to include the ADC (antibody drug conjugate).

All,
God is ever-present. Listen and you will hear. I must pass on the loving kindness of St. Therese, Little Flower, Tender of the Gardens of Heaven, the saint who has carried me through. OK--it's not for everyone. But let me share this with you: Once before I went for treatment and news of my scans about two years ago, my husband, father and I huddled in prayer and asked St. Therese for a sign of her presence, which is usually a rose. We left for the appointment and stopped at a red light on one of the avenues. People had the light and were crossing the street. A woman rushed across the street, holding a bouquet of roses in her arms; she stopped in front of our car and smiled broadly before going on. It was miraculous! Please do not be afraid to ask for help from outside our realm. They ARE listening.

With love,
Karen

NEDenise 04-02-2013 08:28 AM

Penny,
Well...that sucks!
Period.

I have a friend who has a habit of looking up and asking..."If this is how you treat your friends...is it any wonder you have so few of us these days?!" I mean really.

Now, having said that...I'm sure He has a plan (not willing to concede that I approve of it yet) so of course...being Penny, you'll relocate your hope, strength, resolve...and faith (but not immediately...be pissed for a bit first!) and keep going.

Lots of sage advice about the wonders of Herceptin combinations already here.

I totally get the whole income vs disability thing...but honestly...not having to juggle illness, work, and appointments...doesn't suck either. I figure, no matter how much my income gets cut...it will never be as low as when we first got married. Geez, we were like church mice. And besides...I can only handle one full time job right now,,,and 'not dying' is my current profession! :)

PM if you ever want to vent, or compare miseries. One of these days we both have to be in Philly on the same day! I am soooo saving a GIANT hug for you, my friend!

Praying for you...every single day!
Denise

Oh...and BTW gals the "phrase" technically starts with W and ends with K :) just sayin'...but I'm totally with you on the sentiment...times infinity!

SoCalGal 04-02-2013 12:31 PM

I'd like to buy a vowel.

Kellennea 04-02-2013 12:47 PM

Penny -

I am so sorry you have to dal with this... Sending good juju your way.

Redwolf8812 04-02-2013 01:16 PM

SoCalGal - LOL!!!!

yanyan 04-02-2013 01:36 PM

Hi Penny I am sorry to hear about the progression after all you have been through. Phil posted in another thread about a woman in LA treated at UCLA got out of hospice shortly after she received the 1st infusion of TMD1. She was fighting metastatic BC for 14 years and herceptin kept her stable until it progressed. Her doctor at UCLA called ger in hospice after FDA approved TMD1. Now she is planning on a vacation in Hawaii. Please don't lose hope !!

Redwolf8812 04-03-2013 06:07 AM

Thank You, Lord, for today's treatment. Please bless it and use it for Your Truth & Healing in me. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

Ellie F 04-03-2013 06:21 AM

Hi Penny
I was upset to read your news but glad that there were good options for you to try. The explanation of how T-DM1 works differently is certainly my understanding from across the pond. A young woman at my centre has kept her liver mets stable for 5 years on herceptin alone but then had progression. She was able to get into a T-DM1 trial and has now been 2 years NED. Expect a miracle, I'm sure they happen!
Hugs
Ellie