HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Latest PET/CT scan,Not so good? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50612)

pibikay 06-30-2011 05:06 AM

Latest PET/CT scan,Not so good?

The PET/CT scan was on the 28th and the Onc's appointment today
First the good part The nodules/spots in the liver have gonr.In the bones scelorisis can be seen showing an active healing process
The not so good part.There is a lesion in the Brain without FDG intake and a nodule in the left brest that too without FDG intake.THe Onc was of the view that the lesion may be due to the therapy of medicines and that unless some aggravting symptoms are there nothing further need to be done.Re the nodule in the left breast he fees it may be an infection or inflamation.To be on the safe side he has put Hema back on Xeloda.
I am a bit worried about the brain lesion.Hopng for the best

Pam P 06-30-2011 05:37 AM

Re: Latest PET/CT scan,Not so good?

What did the oncologist say about the brain lesion? Just watch it? What is FDG intake? If there is none can I assume it isn't active. It sounds to me that it's not a worry to the onc. at this point. Of course we're still going to worry. So overall it was a good scan report. I hope adding the xeloda back will be easy on Hema and get rid of the rest of the mets.

pibikay 06-30-2011 06:25 AM

Hello Pam
The Oncologist asked Hema whether she had certain symptoms,one by one like nausea head ache etc.When she replied in the negative he said nothing to worry for the present unless some symptoms arise.FDG intake is the measure of the radio active isotope.Malignant parts show incresed FDG intake.
There was no FDG intake in the brain and the nodule in the breast
Thanks for your support

Elizabethtx 06-30-2011 01:13 PM

Take the news as positive and keep on healing! Just stay on top of it and report anything new immediately.

StephN 06-30-2011 01:43 PM

Thank goodness for the great report. Her treatment has been working.

As for the brain lesion. Is that the first time she has had that area scanned? Nothing there in the past?
If it were me I would ask for a followup MRI in the next couple of months, since it sounds like Hema is off Tykerb.

Just remember that some of us here, myself included, had NO symptoms with our brain mets.

tricia keegan 06-30-2011 02:18 PM

I have no personal experience on the brain met to help, but focusing on the positive's which is such good news and hope that continue's for Hema!

KDR 06-30-2011 06:03 PM

Hi, Pibikay,
First, congratulations on the good news! Hema and I are on similar regimens and mine is working quite well, too. I like Steph's advice for the suspicious brain nodule. I'm also confident the Xeloda will get right back to work.
My very best and hugs to Hema,
Karen

Becky 06-30-2011 07:40 PM

Can you get another opinion on the brain lesion? She can always "lie" and say she is feeling dizzy or nauseous. It seems like this should be investigated as one brain lesion can be gamma or cyber knifed out of there.

ElaineM 06-30-2011 08:55 PM

I wonder if there is no FDG uptake means it can be a benign brain tumor like a benign meningioma? I agree with Steph. A brain MRI might show whether or not it is benign or cancer. A meningioma is a tumor in the lining of the brain. Tykerb will probably help if it is cancer. Some of the other members like Steph have experience with brain tumors. They know much more about it than I do.
Otherwise there seems to be progress. Good job Hema and Pibikay. Take good care of yourselves.

pibikay 07-01-2011 12:21 AM

Thanks for your support.Her brain has been investigated right from the start,The very first XRay in March 2010 was suspicious.Then a CT was done and it showed nothing.In the July 2010 Pet it was normal .It has appeared for the first time.She is continuing tykerb.The Onc thinks that Xeloda with Tykerb will be sufficient and if necessary after 3 months another scan be done if she develops any symptoms.

KDR 07-02-2011 01:29 PM

Pibikay,
I think Hema has a great team of vigilant doctors. I just have a feeling that all will be well for her (hello, Hema!).
Warmly,
Karen

michka 07-07-2011 10:31 AM

Pibikay I hope you are not worrying too much. The first part is excellent! The best exam for the brain if you have doubts is a MRI. Does Hema have access to a MRI? Michka

pibikay 07-08-2011 04:34 AM

Thanks michka. MRI scan is there.But the Onc felt it is too early for one