HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Prefer to go to the dentist rather than the oncologist... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31591)

RhondaH 12-12-2007 01:50 PM

Prefer to go to the dentist rather than the oncologist...

I don't know about you, but I would NOW rather go to the dentist rather than the oncologist. I have my 3 month checkup next Thurs and am DREADING it...not symptomatic, just dreading it. Also, curious I will have my 3 year cancerversary on 2/1/08 and was wondering when my time between visits will become longer...I'm still on every 3 months.

Rhonda

tricia keegan 12-12-2007 02:39 PM

Rhonda I had my two year anniversery last July and am now on six month check ups, it's nice not having to go so often but at the same time I feel nervous too as it can be reassuring to check out small worries and concerns more often than that.
Good luck with your appt, I'm sure you'll sail through it, I have a morbid fear of dentists but know what you mean!

Susan 12-12-2007 03:52 PM

Hi Rhonda: I'm now on 6 months. I just saw my oncologist today, I dont' have to go back until June! I'm so excited. I go next week for a bone density test, just for baseline,and I"ll start arimidex tomorrow. It will be 3 years for me this spring. As far as seeing the dentist, I'm a dental hygienist, so I see my dentist everyday! lol
Sue

tousled1 12-12-2007 04:58 PM

Rhonda,

I think all oncologist's differ in how often they want to see their patients. I know I was seeing mine every 3 months before I developed mets. I still see my surgeon every 3 months. Hopefully after this visit you will only have to go every 6 months. It would be nice to have the embilical cord cut but I think deep down we all get a bit anxious about that. Best of luck to you.

Barbara2 12-12-2007 08:07 PM

I have always prefered dentists over doctors because doctors deal with more life and death (scary) issues. In fact I am quite calm at the dentist. My dentist has even commented to me before about my calmness. He said "after what you have been through with breast cancer, this must seem much easier."

In regards to #s of office visits, I still go every 3 months but that is at my request. Quite some time ago my onc asked if I wanted to start coming every 6 months and I asked to stay with every 3 months. It seems I always have questions, but I must admit the bloodwork and tumor marker results keep me on high anxiety until they come back, and even then I fret about this and that of the results. I ask for a copy of the results each time I'm there.

I've noticed where a few ladies have said they go every 4 months. That might be a good compromise.

kareneg 12-12-2007 09:08 PM

Rhonda,

I would much rather go to the dentist too lol. I am praying your visit is uneventful and all the rest you have to have are to. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I just know everything will work out just fine.

Mary Jo 12-12-2007 09:24 PM

Hi Rhonda,

I hate both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...cons/icon7.gif That being said, I have to visit both about the same time frame. Once I reached my 2 year status my onc. said every 6 months was fine. So..........twice a year to see him and twice a year to get the old choppers cleaned. Oh fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, who's complaining. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ons/icon12.gif

Mary Jo

Faith in Him 12-12-2007 09:49 PM

Hi Rhonda,

Just wanted to share that we have the same cancerversary. My one year is 2/1/08. That date is forever stamped in my head. Heres to many, many Feb. 1 with NED.

Hugs
Tonya

MCS 12-13-2007 12:08 AM

I hate dentists. uch.
I told my onc once that I wished we could have a device to detect funny stuff inside us just like an insulin device every day. This would comfort me knowing that I could do something right away. Probably because to be told I had bc was such a shock. Maybe I could have done something to spare me of this.
anyway, I used to like seeing my onc more regularly, again, another blankie!

xoxo

MCS maria

Chelee 12-13-2007 12:34 AM

Rhonda, That one's a toss up. If I had my way I would just assume avoid both. lol

I am not sure but I *think* my onc plans on having me come in every 6 until I reach the 3 yr mark. I'm doing every 3 months like you are. I think at this visit you might ask your onc if he/she is comfortable with you coming in every 6 months instead? But I do admire your onc for keeping an eye on you. :) Some onc's kick their patients lose too soon...yours is just playing it safe. But maybe you will get surprised and he/she will tell you at this appt that it is being changed to every 6 months. (You better make sure they realize its been 3 yrs.) :) By the way...I'm early...but happy cancerversary to you.

Chelee

michka 12-13-2007 03:56 AM

Rhonda, it's crazy: that's exactly what I was thinking about this morning while I was in the MRI machine for my brain. I was thinking about a friend complaining about the dentist and how I would love to only have to go see the dentist!
I am starting the big check up: MRI of the brain, Pet/CT, Scan, mammography and MRI of other breast, and blood test. I did the last ones 6 months ago. I tried to convince myself that I was strong but once in the machine, I was so afraid. I thought of all the courageous ladies on this site and calmed down.
I thank Christine and all of you for sharing your experience: I insisted until the Onc. accepted to add the MRI of the brain and the Pet/ct. I was ready to fight and I think he felt it so gave in quite fast. (but he is also a nice guy who does not want his patients to worry).
Michka

Vi Schorpp 12-13-2007 07:19 AM

Rhonda

I, too, see the oncologist every 3 months and it was four years for me in April. I'm sure the visits also have to do with the Aromasin or whatever else you are prescribed to be sure it's not raising blood pressure, etc. It's interesting that some still see their surgeons. I have not seen my surgeon since the first year of my mascectomy, but would if I had any concerns.

MJo 12-13-2007 01:19 PM

I see my oncologist in January, so I'm not anxious -- yet. But one month before my mammogram I began to get very anxious and actually had to take Xanax occasionally the week before the mammogram. Hopefully I won't be that anxious before the oncologist visit. As these wise women told me recently, after what we've experienced, a little worrying is normal.

Mary Anne in TX 12-13-2007 01:49 PM

I see mine every 9 weeks.

Mgarr 12-13-2007 03:21 PM

Hi Rhonda,

My cancerversary is Jan 08 & I asked at my last visit (Nov.) if I still have to come every 3 months and he said, "yes (don't know why he does not do blood work or scans) I will continue to see him every 3 months for 5 years."

Mary

anne2 12-13-2007 06:33 PM

Don't be too hard on the Dentist.

I rarely get a patient who wants to come see me but everytime my mom goes to see the onc I have a knot in my stomach. Take it one day at a time. And Dentist are fine people just like I am!!!
Anne

TriciaK 12-13-2007 07:41 PM

Anne, I wish you were my dentist! I have a nice gentle dentist but I still dread going. I want to ask your advice about having dental work after having been given bone meds , including intervenous. I will have to look up the kind I was given and will do a general post, in case others may be interested. Thanks in advance for any info you can give us. Tricia

janet/FL 12-13-2007 08:37 PM

I definitely dreaded going to my onc. This week we decided to part our ways. I never really liked him--he came in after my treatment was through and pretty much did not care about me. At least that was my feeling. Then an oncology group took over his practice--one I already had had a bad experience with--so it was "hasta la vista". I don't like the new doctors and their philosopy which is pretty much, money money money. I would never have gotten Herceptin if I would have stayed with them in the first place. That doctor from that practice pretty much made fun of what I learned on the web. Now I have a real good excuse to never have cancer again since I can't find a doctor! As if one needs and excuse.
I like my dentist! I actually met her through a friend of hers that was on this site! The owner of the office had BC same type --ER/PR neg. Her2 +++ and that office went out of their way for me.
So, Joe, you see this site helps some of us in many, many ways!