HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tamoxifen trouble (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53554)

Elizabethtx 03-22-2012 08:50 PM

Tamoxifen trouble

I had a transvaginal ultrasound on Wednesday after my annual visit to watch for changes associated with Tamoxifen. Well, I got the dreaded phone call this morning that I have endometrial thickening and needed to schedule a biopsy! I have been on Tamoxifen for 18 months. Anyone out there have this experience? Of course I am worried and hope and pray all is ok. It is no fair that the treatment causes other serious issues. It seems according to the US that my ovaries are post menopause (chemo pause induced) Wondering if anyone has had this side effect from Tamoxifen.
Elizabeth

Jackie07 03-22-2012 11:49 PM

Re: Tamoxifen trouble

Elizabeth,

I never had the check. But I took initiative to have a genetic testing done after my recurrence, and later had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy when another related (HNPCC cluster) family cancer incident (including myself there are three cases) was found.

The surgeon told us afterwards that there were some hyperplesia (increase in number of cells/ proliferation of cells) showing on the inside of my uterus already. (By then I'd taken Tamoxifen for about 4 years altogether.)

Elizabethtx 03-23-2012 03:10 PM

I had the biopsy today and blood work to determine FSH and estrogen levels. Will know a few answers next week. Thanks, Jackie, I'm glad you caught the hyperplasia in time.

Becky 03-23-2012 07:39 PM

I exactly had this problem - exactly. Went for my first ultrasound to see Tamoxifen's effects and my lining was 14mm (and I had begun menstrating again after chemopause). I had a biopsy which was fine. However, I got my ovaries (and tubes) removed and switched to Arimidex. A couple of months afterwards I had a repeat ultrasound where the lining was nonexistant - it should be with no estrogen (between the oophorectomy and Arimidex). What a crap shoot this all is! I was 46 at the time - near your age now.

The biopsy is a bit uncomfortable - eh?

CoolBreeze 03-25-2012 01:11 PM

I did have some endometrial thickening on tamoxifen and it happened quite quickly. Unfortunately, I also progressed to Stage IV (liver mets) while on Tamoxifen so stopped it. Later scans show normal uterus.

Thickening is a very common side effect of tamoxifen. You will just have to be watched closely. Here's hoping all is well.

Elizabethtx 03-25-2012 03:00 PM

Had the biopsy on Friday. Oh yes, Becky, I would say more than uncomfortable! Wow, don't want to do that again. I should have the results by next Friday. Hope it is simple thickening. If there is such a thing. It seems it is such a trade off once the BC diagnosis. The treatments cause all other kinds of issues. Ann, I'm going to agree with you today...tamoxifen, worst drug ever! I also did the hormone blood panels to check to see if my ovaries are working any longer.
Thanks for the well wishes!

jane2638 03-26-2012 08:34 AM

Dear Elizabeth and others,

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been dreading from Tamoxifen. Are there any ER+/PR- ladies out there who have had *positive* experiences with Tamoxifen?

Take care,
Jane

tricia keegan 03-26-2012 01:44 PM

Elizabeth I did'nt have this issue as only took Tamox for six weeks and then had an ooph and take Arimidex. However a few ladies I know on the Komen boards did have this very same issue and nothing sinister was found but most decided on a hyst after that and took an A1, good luck!