HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   My wife has no appettite (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62116)

catalina 11-06-2014 09:06 AM

My wife has no appettite

She was diagnosed 2 years ago with HER2, ER-, stage 4 with liver mets. She responded very well to chemo and had a full pathological response. She had headaches last summer and they found 12+ CNS lesions. She was treated with Whole Brain Radiation of 40 GY's, plus Tykerb and then gamma knife again in May due to progression.

She is off the Tykerb now because it did not seem to have any affect.

During the whole treatment regime she only missed 1 week of work. She is a strong, stubborn fighter, but it is taking a toll.

She now has no appetite, and is slowly losing weight. The Dr's rescanned her and found no progression, so they think this is the cumulative effects of the WBR and Gamma Knife. Her sleep schedule is disrupted as well.

She is resistant to supplements, shakes or pills. Did I say she was stubborn? Once favorite foods are not palatable to her, and she says that the odors of food cooking make her less hungry. She is drinking water ok, but can only stomach 6 ounces at a time.

I have tried small amounts of food, nuts, boiled eggs, peanut butter, fruit etc. in her lunch but she frequently does not eat it. The more I push her to eat the more she resists.

What can I do to get her nourishment?

donocco 11-06-2014 11:54 AM

Re: My wife has no appettite

There is a strong medication to stimulate appetite called Megestrol. There is also a weaker one that might be effective. It is an antihistamine-serotonin antagonist called Cyproheptidine. It was found to stimulate the appetite and growth rates of asthmatic children being given the drug as an anti-allergy drug. The dosage is 4 mg 2 or three times a day. The main side effect is drowsiness. At least in theory it could interfere with the serotonin based anti-depressants like Prozac, Celexa Zoloft etc etc. You will need a prescription for it so talk with her doctor. Hope this helps a bit.

Paul

waterdreamer 11-08-2014 02:17 PM

Something else that will stimulate her appetite is Marijuana Oil. You should research Rick Simpson Oil - it has also helped several people with treating their cancer. If she has low blood pressure, I would be very cautious as it can cause low blood pressure. It is best taken at night, rubbed into the gums and the serving size is about half a grain of rice. She will sleep well, and it will increase her appetite. It may also be effective against the cancer :)
Please keep us updated.

TanyaRD 11-25-2014 10:41 AM

Catalina,
Poor appetite can be difficult to manage and is frustrating for both the patient and the caregiver. Here are some tips that may help. Also, Megace or Marinol appetite stimulants may be a good idea to discuss with her oncologist. Sometime, Remeron may also be appropriate to help stimulate appetite. These drugs can take up to 4 weeks to start working so don't quit them thinking they aren't working.

Cool foods are often better tolerated because their is not as much odor.
Try cool canned fruit, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, meat salads like chicken, tuna or egg for extra protein
If her mouth is not sore then tart or citrusy or vinegary foods may taste appealing. Sometimes if the taste is a little off these strong flavors help to even things back out. I've actually had patient have success with eating a dill hamburger slice pickle before a meal to help perk up the taste buds. (sounds weird but sometimes weird works!!!)
Smoothies or homemade milkshakes using peanutbutter, powdered milk (for protein), fruit, etc may be well tolerated.

Best wishes,
Tanya

TanyaRD 11-25-2014 11:06 AM

Catalina,
I just thought of one more thing. If your wife is complaining of supplements tasting too sweet you may add a little coffee or buttermilk to help cut the sweetness.

Dakini52 12-30-2014 01:58 PM

I appreciated the response siting Marijuana oil. When I was going thru heavy chemo treatments early on in my case, I discovered that Marijauna was extremely effective in helping me maintain my appetite, nausea level and sleep regiment. I continued working throughout chemo, surgery and radiation only missing a couple of weeks for surgery. While this is still an unorthodox treatment it was highly beneficial for me.