HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Google and links to our names and site (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45116)

Catherine 05-11-2010 08:47 PM

Google and links to our names and site

Hi,

I googled my name today. First, Last and Middle initial and my city and state. I was surprised that on about the 6th response, my name appeared with a link to our Her2 site. I clicked on it and it took me right to one of my initial postings in 2006. It was like I had signed into our site. I could move down and see how people responded to my post. I also came up under the Chamber Commerce which I expected. I am not on facebook and I try to stay anoymous (sp). So, my question to the techies....is there anyway to block my name? Personally, I would not want anyone other than my Her2 friends to read my posts. Maybe I am paranoid. In the big scheme of things it is no big deal. But it bothers me so therefore I am asking you what you think? Do you have any suggestions for my concerns?

Thanks so much,
Catherine

Joe 05-11-2010 09:49 PM

Re: Google and links to our names and site

Catherine,

I forwarded your email to our IT guy. We'll have to see what he comes up with.

This has a high priority as we try vigilantly to protect our members identity. I don't know if you realize this but we do not check out member usernames.

Also PLEASE do not put your email address as either your Username or within a post. There are robot programs that scour the internet searching for email addresses. Then you get inaundated with spam.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Joe 05-11-2010 10:05 PM

Catherine,

Please try again. I believe that I made the necessary changes. I put some specific keywords in my test post, Googled them and nothing came up.

Regards
Joe

Cal-Gal 05-12-2010 08:18 AM

Thanks Joe-

Is there any way to go back and look at our previous posts-all in one area to make sure that we didnt add our name or email?

Thanks again--

whatz 05-12-2010 02:16 PM

Google-ing our username gives the same result...(i.e. links back to our postings)

Rich66 05-12-2010 02:37 PM

I will add that it is nice to keep freely available content within the google stream. It can bring honest seekers to the site. Maybe add options to keep e-mail addresses and profile information hidden to the unregistered, if desired. Usernames are anonymous as the maker wants.

Joe 05-12-2010 03:29 PM

Use the search engine (advanced) search for all posts made under your name . They should all come up.

Regards
Joe

whatz 05-12-2010 04:17 PM

Just surprised our usernames do go forward to google. Would have made mine a little more anonymous. Can we change it?

Becky 05-12-2010 07:51 PM

Just tested me and did Becky Her2 and my profile signature came up (second hit) along with another 5 of my posts.

Not fixed just in case it is really important to some members

Cal-Gal 05-12-2010 11:04 PM

Hi Becky--

I am not an expert IT person, but this I do know from experience.

It can and might take awhile for google to change the search terms and what comes up---it could be a few weeks or even a month--it is whenever they do a reset---it varies----

I know as I have quite a bit of info about me on the internet, business related--and it takes awhile to change--

SoCalGal 05-12-2010 11:51 PM

That's why I changed my user name.
Flori

whatz 05-13-2010 05:04 AM

Flori,
How do you change your username? Just a matter of creating a new user account?