HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Prophylactic Ovary/Tube removal for ER/PR - ?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63178)

mscaruso 05-18-2015 02:05 PM

Prophylactic Ovary/Tube removal for ER/PR - ??

There is much research out there for prophylactic oopherectomy/salpingectomy if you are BRCA +, but not BRCA -

I know there are some gals here who have had this done - and would love to know why. I have discussed this briefly with my onc early on, but as my treatment draws to an end, it is something that has been weighing on my mind. I'm prepared to do anything to reduce my risk of recurrence, but only if the studies back it up.

To date, most studies I have seen support the surgery for BRCA +, not - . There is a clear benefit there.
There are only 1 or 2 studies which seem to suggest some benefit. What have you guys heard?

Tinkerbells

sassy 05-18-2015 04:01 PM

Re: Prophylactic Ovary/Tube removal for ER/PR - ??

Tinker bells,

I believe most of us who have had our ovaries removed have done so based on a positive hormonal status as opposed to BRCA status. I do not have any information concerning BRCA.

ER/PR positive Breast Cancer is fed by those hormones and chemical suppression of or removal of ovaries for premenopausal women is desired for the reduction of hormone presence.

Hope this helps.

Becky 05-19-2015 11:06 AM

I am 50% er positive but pr neg. I had my ovaries and tubes removed for several reasons. I am NOT Brca positive.

1. I wanted to be postmenopausal so I could take an aromatase inhibitor versus tamoxifen because they had better survival statistics.

2. My paternal grandmother died fom ovarian cancer

3. There are statistics that women who start getting their period later or go thru menopause earlier have a decreased risk of bc.

4. Women who exercise hard enough to have decreased body fat and hence stop getting their menses have a big decrease of getting bc. No periods so don't have big rush of estrogen every month to cause ovulation and decreased body fat too as body fat also produces estrogen.

5. As you have said, oophorectomy greatly decreases the risk of bc in Brca+ women however, these women tend to get triple negative cancer and not hormone positive cancer - especially brca 1 women. Yet oophorectomy helps them. One of the reasons researchers think why is because all bc starts by a hyper estrogen state. Too much estrogen or exposure over a longer period of time etc. So, I figured if it helped a brca woman, it might help me too. Shut it off and shut it down.

6. There is evidence that shutting down the ovaries by any means improves survival however, this is mostly done on women with hormone positive cancer.

It is certainly a hard decision bit if it gives you any pause, it is an easy opertion and a quick recovery. We are all here for you.

Heathcliff4 05-19-2015 05:48 PM

Hi Tinerkerbells,

An option would be to have monthly Zolodex shots to shut down your ovarian function, if you are considering the surgery but are unsure. I have been doing this for almost a year (and just switched to every 3 months). I am ER/PR positive, not BRCA positive.

Good luck with your decision.

Kathryn

mscaruso 05-20-2015 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Becky, yes, the idea that triple negatives who are BRCA + get oopherectomies is what has my wheels spinning. The ovaries continue to dribble out various hormones and androgens even post-menopause. There is one study out there that seems to suggest it is the androgens that fuel some of the breast cancers. My onc is very conservative, so I will revisit the issue with her. I am finishing up H soon, so I have some time. My GYN used to be gynecological oncologist - now in private practice for high risk patients. I am going to bring it up with her as well.

Thanks guys! Bright wishes for good health for all my sisters.

Tink

europa 05-20-2015 08:45 AM

I did the zoladex shots for 2 months and stopped. I had every side effect appear and in the most magnified way. I gained 17 pounds in 2 months , had a face full of menopausal acne, major hot flashes and severe joint pain. So because I was already peri-menopausal (they ran tests) and my original tumor was not super dependent on estrogen, they gave me the thumbs up to stop the shots. I will however be getting an oopherectomy when I'm 46 as it's closer to a natural menopausal age.