HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin without Taxol? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27888)

justnina 04-20-2007 09:50 PM

Herceptin without Taxol?

Hi all,

First time to ask questions but I've been reading and learning, thanks to all of you!
Back story:
I was diagnosed last year with 1.3cm IDC, sentinal node biopsy neg.,Her3+,ER+PR+. My Oncotype DX score was 27. I had a partial mastectomy, (clear margins),dose-dense A/C, 4 rounds, 2 weeks apart, and dose-dense radiation, (I was given this choice) every
day for 15 days. I was then started on Herceptin, every three weeks, but was never offered Taxol. It appears that, from what I've read, it's typical to give the two together. I asked my onc about Taxol and she said since I was stage 1 she didn't think I needed it. Has anyone else been given the same advice?

As it turned out I was only able to finish 7 months of Herceptin due to ejection fraction problems-the first time it happened I took a six-week break from Herceptin and my e. fraction went back to normal. Restarted Herceptin and it nose-dived again. At that point my onc advised me to quit altogether because she said that "it has not been proven that a full year of Herceptin is actually necessary" and she also said that she "didn't want to cure my cancer and leave me with heart trouble." Anyone get similar advice?

PS: My hair is coming in curly--new for me but I've heard it's pretty common-how long does it stay curly?? Just wondering...

Thanks for staying with me through this looong e-mail...

All good wishes,

Nina

Jean 04-20-2007 10:19 PM

Justnina,

I am stage 1 and I had taxotere plus herceptin.
Will finish my one yr. shortly.
Hope this helps you.

Jean

hutchibk 04-21-2007 01:20 AM

hmmm - I think many docs feel that way about stage 1... I got taxol and herc only after I had recurrence, but I also didn't get herc as a first line drug either. It wasn't available in wide access at that time. I had to wait for recurrence before I could get it.

I am curious as to others answers here.

Hopeful 04-21-2007 06:57 AM

Justnina,

You joined the board after the thread below was posted, so I don't know if you saw it. It may contain information that could be useful to you: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...eferrerid=1173

Best of luck with your treatment.

Hopeful

justnina 04-21-2007 08:23 AM

Thanks so much for sending this thread. I hadn't seen it and the last post helped me to understand my onc's reasoning. She's well-respected in the New york area where I live and I do trust her opinion but didn't understand it.

Once again, this wonderful Web site has come through for me. !!!

Nina

penelope 04-21-2007 09:13 AM

Yup same thing happened to me. My onc said that given my 7mm tumor taxene's were only a 1% benefit to me but I was able to finish 1 year.

I read all these women having AC+TH and know that I did not get T and it scares the crap out of me. But 1%!!! That did not sould worth it. I wonder what the absolute risk reduction was for AC followed by H. What were you quoted?

justnina 04-22-2007 08:49 PM

Hi Penelope,
I'm afraid I wasn't given any statistics. I wish I had asked!

momdeeco 04-23-2007 06:14 AM

I had to seek a 2nd opinion for Herceptin. I also asked the doc about taxol and neither one thought it was necessary. I had to stop Herceptin after 6 mo. due to ejection fraction. Both oncologist agreed to discontinue the Herceptin and not restart it because it hasn's been proven that 1 year is best. Very similar to your situation. She didn't want to "cure" cancer and cause heart failure.

Isn't it exciting when your hair starts to come back in! I have been done with chemo for about 1 year, and my hair is still very curly. I love it though! Takes me about 60 sec. in the morning to get it ready to go. It is wash, dry, fluff!
I've had many haircuts since last April, and think I will keep it short as long as it stays curly!

God Bless,

justnina 04-23-2007 07:02 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. Your situation does resemble mine and that gives me a lot of reassurance.

As for my hair, I certainly agree. It's easy to care for. But I'm not at the point where I can bear to cut it yet. I'm too attached to it(literally and figuratively) because I'm so happy it's back!!