HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   CNN Report Promising Cure Vaccine (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45422)

Sherryg683 06-02-2010 11:15 PM

CNN Report Promising Cure Vaccine

Got a call from a friend today, she saw this report on CNN about what they are saying is a promising cure for breast cancer, it's a vaccine...Anyone heard any more on it. One report said they could start trials of it on humans within the next year....here's link...sherryghttp://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/31/breast.cancer.vaccine/index.html

Sherryg683 06-02-2010 11:15 PM

Re: CNN Report Promising Cure Vaccine

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/31...ine/index.html

sorry link got scrambled in with my signature

Jean 06-03-2010 12:21 AM

Yes Sherry I did watch it on the news and it was in our newspaper.

They are calling it a BREAKTHROUGH headline reads:

BREAKTHROUGH may end breast tumors.
The test study on mice have been overwhelmingly favorable results. Dr. Vincent Tuohy who led the resarch at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio said there was evidence in the initial tests that the vaccine could prevent cancers from forming and stop the growth of existing tumors.

If it works in humans the way it works in mice, this will be monumental. They believe this vaccine will someday be used to prevent breast cancer. Researchers injected the test vaccine into six mice that were specifically bred to be prone to breast cancer. None developed any signs of tumors. Six other mice bred in the same way were
injected with a placebo vaccine and all developed tumors.

The drug makes the immune system attack a particular protein found in most breast cancer cells and in the mammary tissue of breast feeding women.

If clinical tests of the vaccine on humans are successful, women over 40 could be vaccinated.

This is an early stage study, and large scale clinical trials will begin to find out if this vaccine would be safe and effective in humans.

As I listened to the news I had tears streaming down my face, thinking of all our losses this year and hopefully the bright future that awaits us. (of course there will be years of study).

Each day we get closer.
Jean

Lori R 06-03-2010 05:18 AM

Sherry and Jean,
Thank you for posting!! This is great news and I sure hope they figure out the details quickly. I am encouraged by the study coming out of a respected institution such as the Cleveland Clinic. Hoping that it enables them to acquire resources to move this forward.

As always....your insights provide me with a hope boost for the day.

Sherryg683 06-03-2010 08:45 AM

It said that they will probably start trials in humans with a year. I am so wondering what they will require to be admitted into the trial...i would love to get on this vaccine.....sherry

bejuce 06-03-2010 10:19 AM

Same here... I'm waiting for a vaccine trial to be open at Stanford in the Fall, but this one in Cleveland is looking very, very promising.

Ellie F 06-03-2010 11:47 AM

Hi Marcia
Do you know what type of vaccine trial they will be opening at Stanford?

Thanks Ellie

Faith in Him 06-03-2010 03:56 PM

I hope this is the answer for many of us.

bejuce 06-03-2010 04:04 PM

Hi Ellie,

Not sure yet, just know that it'll be open soon and it may be a possibility for me according to my oncologist. I'll keep you all posted once I find out more about it.

Marcia

Patb 06-03-2010 05:10 PM

This is wonderful news but they came on with
this big announcement on our news and said
cure for breast cancer coming up and went on about
it. If people need it now that was very misleading.
It could be years to be available. That it is good
news is true, but not yet.

hutchibk 06-03-2010 05:30 PM

Uh oh, here comes the contrarian downer...

Absolutely, this is reason to be hopeful but healthy skepticism should always rule the day when considering mouse-model research. Researchers are optimistic, but they also always warn that it's a big leap from results in animals to similar results in humans and there is no guarantee the treatment will make it to human trials... and according to the article, there is no funding for human trials at this point, though it has been applied for. I have read about 8 different news stories about it and not one of them has said that the FDA has approved human trials yet. If it does translate to wonderful results in humans, experts speculate it will take at least 10 years to get the vaccine to mainstream use.

All that said, I hope beyond hope they are on to something and that they HURRY!

Rich66 06-03-2010 05:39 PM

Maybe insights from this will inform things already underway.

1rarebird 06-03-2010 06:02 PM

If this vaccine pans out to be the long sought "cure" for breast cancer, then the doctors involved will be Nobel prize winners in medicine. I certainly hope to see them in Norway one day accepting the reward ---

bird

Debbie L. 06-03-2010 06:07 PM

(I'm surprised that anyone is ever able to post as "unregistered". I've tried repeatedly, thinking it would be faster than logging in - and I can NEVER get those dang anti-spam letters correct. Sheesh.)

So, this report is interesting but is nowhere close to being a breakthrough, or the cure, or anything LIKE that. This report is about SIX MICE. There are legions of studies with incredibly impressive results in mice that did not turn out to work, at all, in humans.

Gary Schwitzer has an excellent website where he critiques news reports of medical advances, and he does a great job of reminding us when the media headlines overstep the reality of what is being reported. If you are interested in medical/cancer news, you owe it to yourself to have a basic understanding of what is important vs. what might, maybe, someday, perhaps -- turn out to be important. Here's what he said about FOX news (and others) reporting on this story:

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/blog...st-cancer.html

If you find that interesting, you could also check out a website referenced by Gary, and look especially at the link to their criteria for "what consumers need in stories" (box on top right): http://www.healthnewsreview.org/

It's good that scientists are asking these important questions and keeping us posted about what they're finding. But it's bad that the media can at times be so irresponsible in how they report these things. For inspiration, check out Gary's recent report of how a breast cancer advocate took a southern California NBC affiliate to task for their poor reporting: Sandra Spivey speaks out

Don't get me wrong. I am actually pretty excited about the potential for a prevention vaccine. But it's FAR from ready for prime time.

If you've made it this far, you are interested. Another excellent opportunity for breast cancer advocates to educate themselves (and with that knowledge, to help others) is offered by NBCC. They now have two versions of their Project LEAD program, to educate interested advocates about the science. The program is free (thanks to grants from Avon) and they offer scholarships to help with travel and lodging, if needed: Project LEAD

(Here's what NBCC says about this vaccine report: MICE)

Debbie Laxague

StephN 06-03-2010 06:08 PM

The following sentence told me all I needed to know. It is not for the likes of me who already HAVE the disease.

"However, he speculates it will take at least 10 years to get the vaccine to normal, healthy women at risk of developing the cancer."

How they will determine who is "at risk" for developing breast cancer looks like a tough nut to crack. Just being a living human is a broad category!

I must point out that there are numerous other projects being worked on which are meant to spur the immune system against some other targets. My money is on another study in progress that will not take as long as 10 years from now.

Laurel 06-03-2010 06:10 PM

Hey, Brenda, what I say to your post is: "crap on a crapstick!" That's right, you heard me! CRAP ON A CRAPSTICK!

You know, since you have posted that at times here on Her-2 I have co-opted it. Boy, does it throw the locals here in Pa! I just tell them it's a Tx expression! BTW, is it?

Well, gang, it sure would be nice if this does work in humans and fast tracks for all of us and our daughters (and I guess sons, too, Rarebird).

Jean 06-03-2010 08:54 PM

I realize it is only 6 mice...and that it will take at least 10 years of additional study. But we have to start somewhere. Just remember how herceptin started.

I also agree the news revs it up -
I am still praying that the cup is half full and who knows what is around the corner.

That's my story and I am sticken to it!

Love to all,
jean

Christine MH-UK 06-04-2010 10:38 AM

I was also a bit disappointed that this is being talked about in the press as something that will prevent all breast cancer in the future when the vaccine will not do anything to prevent breast cancer occurring in young women. Because its target is also present in the breasts of breastfeeding women, the inventor is talking about only giving it to women over 40. Since I was diagnosed in my 30s, I am not impressed.

MJo 06-04-2010 01:09 PM

I saw the researcher on the Keith Olbermann show on MSNBC a few nights ago (Olbermann said his mom died of BC). The researcher said what others here have reported -- he doesn't have any funding and it will take 10 years before this reaches the public. My thoughts were "speed it up" and where can I sign up for the shot!

Lien 06-04-2010 04:04 PM

Sounds tempting, doesn't it, to sign up. But we have no idea whatsoever about side effects and long term effects. Yes, if one has mets and is at the end of the chemo rope, one might consider signing up. But so far it has only worked in 6 mice.

It would be wonderful if it worked, though and I do hope they get funding and can start doing more tests. I read it's not just BC they are working on, but other forms of cancer too.

Jacqueline