HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Started anti-depressant feeling funky (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62895)

snolan 03-25-2015 07:34 AM

Started anti-depressant feeling funky

I started on Efforex anti-depressant two days ago, and have been feeling light headed, weak and tired. All the side effects are normal for this med just wondering if anyone else has had this and how long did it last. I know it can take up to 4 weeks for the med to start to work does that mean I will feel this funk for that long?
Suzanne

jaykay 03-25-2015 08:40 AM

Re: Started anti-depressant feeling funky

When I started Celexa, I had to cut my dose in half. Felt the same way as you on the full dose. Found the half dose worked fine so kept it that way.

sarah 03-27-2015 10:10 AM

I've always heard it takes a while for the drug to build up to have any effect. and yes as jaykay says you can take 1/2 or even 1/4. If you go off them, you should keep lower the dose, not just stop them abruptly.
hope they help you
hugs
sarah

Nurse4u2day 03-28-2015 10:33 PM

I hope your feeling better... I know for some it takes about a week plus for your body to adjust to the medications

snolan 03-30-2015 10:53 AM

I stopped taking in on Saturday it was giving me constant headaches, constipation, muscle fatigue. Calling my Dr today to see if we try something else or just go the counseling route.

JessicaV 03-30-2015 12:32 PM

Hi, I work as a psychologist. I have seen different antidepressants hit different people in amazingly different ways, and there are many different ones on the market. I have seen one make person A suicidal, but work perfectly for person B who has horrible symptoms for the antidepressant that helped person A. Most of them upset the balance of several very carefully inter balanced biochemicals, one that makes you calm, one that gets you excited or anxious, one that makes you feel happy etc. Starting or stopping or changing the dose makes waves and throws the balance out again. And it takes a week or two for the waves to settle. I encourage anyone with troublesome symptoms to discuss them in depth with their doctor, and to continue the conversation until you are happy with what you are taking.

Finding the right counsellor or psychotherapist for you is much the same: you have to be prepared for a bit of a quest and not settle for something that is not right for you. It can be hard to push through this stage of either, but stick to your guns and be ready to try one, and if necessary say this doesn't work for me, and not worry about offending anyone. The wrong person can be a waste of time or downright harmful.

Personally, I see antidepressants as a useful mostly to take the edge off unbearable pain, but they don't change anything. Seeing the right person, or finding the practices that really work for you like mindfulness for some people, reduces or nullifies that pain. My own philosophy is that I want to learn to resolve what is wrong, to change not just mask a problem.

I wish you the energy and courage to seek out the right solution for you.

snolan 03-31-2015 10:08 AM

Jessica I like your advice, my depression is not anything bad, I don't have suicidal thoughts or pain. I have just had a change in my support system on a few levels and am finding it difficulty to deal with and it is changing my behavior. I don't like taking meds to just hide something but rather try to fix the issue. I talk with my Dr today may try the counseling route.

JessicaV 03-31-2015 04:07 PM

A change in your support system is upsetting. Hope you can find a good counsellor, and also that you get the support you need.
Do you know about the Bad Day Box system? To set it up, your "wise-mother" self goes collecting or shopping with and for your "hurting child" self. They need to be items that will not damage your quality of life by adding alcohol, drugs or too much sugar or too much fat, or break the budget. The aim is to get a collection of items that brighten things for you when you are having a really bad day. On a bad day, and only on a bad day, you can open the box and take out one item of your choice that will help. It not only brightens your day but reminds you that whatever happens, even when you can't find any part of you able to comfort and console the hurting child within, that wise-mothering part has left these symbols of herself for you.
I put into my bad day box a couple of unread books by my favourite murder mystery writers, a couple of special scented teas, a bottle of bubble-bath, and a couple of books of affirmations that hit the spot for me. Plus a list of the people I really can email or call for a chat at any time (even though when I am feeling bad I may tell myself nobody would want to hear me whinge.) Plus some swiss chocolates which I eat one of when I think chocolate will help.
It may seem like mind games but I find it works for me.