HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   c- section (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37693)

LAURIE 01-24-2009 08:08 PM

c- section

date has changed, thursday the 5th now. Well the time is almost here. I am scheduled for a c-section on Wed. the 4th. (due date is the 12th, but major roids have made me opt for c)

Tiptoe and Tex are here with me for the big event. I promise to post pics of us. (before and after). I did a belly cast last week and tip and tex are sleeping in it right now.

I am working through next Friday and then have a couple days to get ready. I was shocked that my docs only say 6 weeks off of work for c-section and not 8. I am going to look into the legalities around it. I see my oncologist on Monday, I cannot imagine even if I had bad blood work he would even tell me before the baby is born. I am thinking about canceling the appointment but I know all the nurses would love to see my big belly.

We still have not decided on a name yet. Thank you to Bill and everyone else who have given suggestions in the "name lauries baby" thread. The top name contenders are Lucas, Noah, Phoenix, and Clancy. I promise to keep you all posted.

Cannon 01-24-2009 08:29 PM

So excited for you, Laurie! You are living life, and bringing more life to the world. Thank you, and all best wishes.

Rebecca

caya 01-24-2009 08:38 PM

Good luck Laurie - I hope everything goes well for you.
In Canada women are allowed one year off from their jobs with a certain percentage of their pay - not sure exactly how much, since the last time I had a baby was nearly 20 years ago - then I got 4 months off with I think 60% of my usual pay (there is a maximum).

Love the baby name choices - keep us posted.

all the best
caya

ElaineM 01-24-2009 08:46 PM

c-section

Your friends here are all hoping for the best and looking forward to your baby's arrival. Please post a photo after he arrives.

freyja 01-24-2009 09:25 PM

Yay!

So excited for you and your family, Laurie!
You're an inspiration to people everywhere. Life goes on. You are so strong and brave. This is sure to be a VERY special boy. And I have two names in the finals, woo hoo! I was really close to using Phoenix for my son. When the time came we thought he was a Lucas, and it suits him so well. You'll know when you see him for the first time...or if you need to wait a few days that's o.k. too. Take your time.
Phoenix is suitable though, since it is a bird that is continually reborn from it's own ashes...Life goes on.

I'll be thinking of you on the fourth.
Celeste

StephN 01-24-2009 09:57 PM

Dear Laurie -
Was thinking about you today and was hoping for a post. Thanks for the update.

About the c-section. My daughter had one after laboring all night, and she healed really well. Went for another "c" with her second child, and again healed well. I was surprised at how fast she was able to do things.

Hope you will have some good help in the first few weeks, so you don't get too worn out. Sounds like you are pretty strong if you are still working.

Take care and just remember all the love and healing vibes the mascots are spreading around you.

harrie 01-25-2009 01:13 AM

Oooohhh Laurie!! Time is coming soon, how exciting!! Did you decide on your son's name?
Maryanne

Liz J. 01-25-2009 08:24 AM

Dear Laurie,

Wishing you all the best. This is the most exciting time of your life. Can't wait to see pics.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

RhondaH 01-25-2009 09:40 AM

Laurie...

I am SOOOO excited for you...on a message board that sees so much sadness, it is wonderful that you have given it life AND hope. Take care and God bless.

RobinP 01-25-2009 10:16 AM

God bless, this is the most wonderful time for you, as you bring new life into the world. I hope you take Steph's advice and line up plenty of help ahead of time for you and the new baby. Take care!

Mary Anne in TX 01-25-2009 11:39 AM

How exciting!
Wait til that little rascal finds out how many "mamas" he has!
ma

Becky 01-25-2009 01:55 PM

Dear Laurie,

It may not have been the fastest pregnancy on the face of the earth for you (it never goes fast enough when you are the pregnant one) but it sure seemed fast to me.

You are on the home stretch. I have 3 children and I had 2 of them by c-section. I was supposed to have the third that way but she had other ideas and I went into labor before my surgery date and it was a rapid labor. By the time I got to the hospital, it was too late to do a c-section. If I had taken alittle more time in route, I would have probably been in the newspapers.

C-sections are not that hard but you will be having major abdominal surgery as well as the fact that your uterus will be involuting and going back to its normal small size. Also, unlike other abdominal surgeries, you have a tiny baby who wakes up in the middle of the night. Get help if you can so that all you have to deal with is feeding our little nephew. You have not said if you will be breast feeding. If you are not, have the hubby feed "junior" for the first week or so (during the night) so you can get a good, healing rest in. I breastfed but my hubby would get the baby and put the baby back to bed.

Eat nourishing and healing food - lots of protein. If you can't get help with the cooking and housework, try to get prepared this week by cooking alot of stew and freezing portions - things like that. Make sure all the laundry is done before you go and everything is ready for baby boy.

Make sure to buy extra sanitary pads. You will still have the vaginal bleeding after the birth. Always extra long with wings overnight are SUPERB. You get some in the hospital and some to bring home but its not enough and your hubby will just die if he has to get them. Plus that type of Always is really good.

Have your bag ready anyway because you could go into labor (as I know:)).

Yippee for you. There's nothing better than a new baby to love.

Paty 01-25-2009 04:59 PM

Laurie,

Best of luck, hoping everything will be just fine.

Paty

sassy 01-25-2009 08:13 PM

Laurie,

Its hard to believe the time is almost here! I'm so happy for you and your hubby.

Both my boys were by c-section. Got along great. One other piece of advice--have some "large" cotton "granny" panties on hand. My ob-gyn wanted me to wear loose all cotton panties until my incision healed. My maternity panties were not all cotton, so I had to send my husband to Walmart to buy some for me. He was having a hard time finding the right size, when a sales clerk asked if he needed help. He told her what he needed and why, then asked if a size 12 would be OK since he couldn't find a size 9. She wisely told him, if I said 9--he better find a 9. I might not be too pleased with a 12!

Best Wishes!

schoolteacher 01-26-2009 05:33 AM

Laurie,

Wishing you and the baby the best. Let us know how things are going. You are truly a warrior.

Amelia

Jean 01-26-2009 08:08 AM

Laurie,
So excited for you! I had to have a C section also, 24 yrs. ago, boy the time does pass fast. I can remember I did go back to driving on th 6th week and was feeling good...

Wishing you all the best and keeping you and baby in my prayers.

Kind Regards
Jean

MJo 01-27-2009 11:35 AM

I agree with Becky - it seems only yesterday that you announced your wonderful news. Like my sisters on this board, I am excited for you and looking forward to the baby pics.

Sheila 01-27-2009 12:23 PM

Laurie
I bet Tip Toe is getting excited....my niece Zakia has a birthday on the 2nd, my grandaughter Eden on the 3rd, and now Lauries little guy on the 4th...LIFE IS GRAND!
Good Luck...we are all so happy for you!

WomanofSteel 01-27-2009 02:13 PM

Wow the time flew by! Good luck to you. I hope all goes well.

freyja 02-03-2009 11:26 AM

Blessings!

Best wishes and love to you, Laurie! I'm thinking of you. I'm going to light a very special candle for you and your family tomorrow. I have really, really good feelings about it. Wish I could be there to help change diapers and feed you, but I'll be sending good thoughts instead.
Love, C