HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Vision Problems - Side Affect of Herceptin??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30874)

weezie1053 10-30-2007 05:27 PM

Vision Problems - Side Affect of Herceptin???

I thought I previously may have read that Herceptin can affect the vision? I have only one more treatment to go, but I noticed my vision is getting progressively worst. Of course, I turned 54 today which means I am 365 days closer to the senior citizen category. All seriousness, is this a side affect of Herceptin? How long after I complete my Herceptin treatment should I wait to have an eye exam? I had lasik surgery 7-8 years ago, and I was hoping I would never have to wear glasses again. I didn't want to rush and make an appointment if my vision might continue to get a little worst. On the other hand, I am wondering if I should have it looked at sooner than later.

I welcome your 2 cents...

Louise

sassy 10-30-2007 05:40 PM

I did have vision problems during Herceptin, and I believe that others have reported this too. I did go ahead and have a complete eye exam prior to finishing Herceptin, increasing the strength of my bi-focal. About six months after finishing Herceptin, my vision seemed to return to a more normal state---less blurring, etc. However, I still needed the increase in bi-focal strength. I guess I can chalk that up to growing "more mature".

Hope things go well for you.

Becky 10-30-2007 06:29 PM

Happy Birthday Louise!!!

I too had some problems but I had the most problems on AC and although I have had eye exams, it is still not perfect but much better. I have been done with Herceptin alittle over a year.

Karen W 10-30-2007 06:55 PM

I had ocular migraines that were brought on by Herceptin. My left pupil would get huge and my vision was very blurred. I would also get pain and swelling around my left eye and the left side of my face was affected too.

Karen

Yorkiegirl 10-30-2007 08:56 PM

I had vision problems as well. I waited 1 year after Herceptin to have my eyes checked and new RX for my glasses and contacts. It had to be tweaked just a little bit.

tousled1 10-31-2007 01:29 AM

My vision got worse once I started Herceptin. It seems to have leveled out now.

nitewind 10-31-2007 05:56 AM

Hi Louise, I've always had good vision. Since receiving Herceptin, I've developed macular degeneration. My onc says, no way it's related to the herceptin. Who knows?? All I know is there is nothing I can do about it, it will get steadily worse. Doc says it's "age related", I'm 56. Seems a little young to me to be "age related". My oncologist sticks by "herceptin has no side effects". Best of luck to you.
Hugs

Erin 10-31-2007 12:25 PM

After my 4th TCH treatment I started having problems with my right eye. My vision would get very blurry and I would see "ghosts" of everything - worse at night. I have needed glasses for some time now, but this was sudden and severe. Even wearing my glasses I couldnt' read or see distance well enough to drive at night. Then, after two days it cleared up and i was back to my regular vision. It has happened four or five times since then (over about 7 months). They thought it was chemo related, but I finished chemo on 5/30 and it is still happening about once a month. I have had repeated eye exams by an opthomologist and no one can find a reason. No one mentioned it as a possible side effect of Herceptin. I hope it is - if so, maybe it will quit once I finish Herceptin in 2/08. Keep us posted. I would love to hear whatever you find out.

R.B. 10-31-2007 05:23 PM

Eyesight.

DHA the long chain omega three is fundamental to eyesight.

I have asked the question before and have no answer. How does Herceptin interact in the fats pathways - trials suggest it does as part of its mechanisms.

IF (and I have no idea if it does or does not) it blocks conversion of the mother omega three found in vegetable products to the long chain product it may contribute to DHA deficit particularly in those who do not get it in their diet through oily fish or fish oil.

Please also see the Greek Diet thread.

Please discuss dietary change with your medical advisor. Fish oil can cause blood thinning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

"Dementia and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) are major causes of disability in the elderly. n-3 Fatty acids, particularly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), are highly concentrated in brain and retinal tissue and may prevent or delay the progression of dementia and AMD. Low dietary intakes and plasma concentrations have been reported to be associated with dementia, cognitive decline, and AMD risk."

Tankweti 05-28-2015 01:50 PM

Re: Vision Problems - Side Affect of Herceptin???

I have been having blurred vision and either very dry eyes or a sudden outpouring of lacrimation. I asked my oncologist about it (I was on Taxol +Herceptin weekly x 12 weeks) for early stage, node negative breast cancer. He said I may need new glasses as it has been a while. I am also now finding that I cant really see small print, even with my bifocals and this happened suddenly. So I called a local ophthalmologist's office and made an appointment. Meanwhile, here is an article for everyone to chew on. It turns out that most chemotherapy can cause adverse effects on the eye, some of them severe. At the end of the article I mentioned, it said that doctors dont tell us this because they "give priority to other life threatening conditions" engendered by chemo and I suppose the cancer itself. WHAATT!! I would say that while blindness is not life threatening it surely can change your quality of life which you are trying to protect during chemo as well as you can in the hopes you will be able to get back to your life before chemo (as closely as possible anyway).

I will try to attach the article but just in case, I will give you all the name of it:

Ocular Adverse Effects of Anti-Cancer Chemotherapy coauthored by Parul Singh in 2012. Search term I used was Taxol Optic Nerve.

Unfortunately didnt work but you should be able to find it if you type in the above article name.

tricia keegan 05-28-2015 02:30 PM

Thanks, I think its a well known fact these drugs can effect the eye sight, I had watery eyes all through chemo and herceptin for up to a year and my optician said there was no point changing glasses until I was finished.

It certainly affected my vision too as it did many of my friends too, thanks for the mention of the article and will check it out now too.

nitewind 05-28-2015 06:19 PM

Hello to everyone! My goodness, it's been so long since I've posted.
I got an email about someone with eye problems and thought I would just throw in some info.
I'm nine years out!!!! Yay. I did want to note that following the completion of my treatment, I did develop some eye problems. I now have macular degeneration in one eye. Have had to get some glasses, the other eye isn't too bad, just blurry. I attribute everything to the chemo and Herceptin, however, it did save my life so no complaints!
I hope all my old friends are doing well. I'm gonna have to check the board and see what's happening.
My love to everyone, you guys saw me thru some really rough times and I love you for it.
Susan