HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Vinorelibine + Herceptin??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60798)

WayTooYoung 04-20-2014 07:14 AM

Vinorelibine + Herceptin???

Hello Ladies,

I went for a second opinion and the Oncologist at Sunnybrook suggested two treatments:

1) Vinorelibine + Herceptin with Focal Radiation in the future for lung met

OR

2) taxol + Herceptin

My first Oncologist recommended just Affintor + Aromasin which this Dr did not agree with as it does not target the Her2.

He tells me Vinorelibine is easier to tolerate and that I should be able to work. He also says I would be able to keep my hair...but when I look online, I see a list of all the adverse side effects associated with chemo (nausea, hair loss, fatigue, etc). FYI...this is the option I am leaning towards.

I had Taxol before without Herceptin...it make me sick and did nothing for me tumour wise. Dr says if I combine it with Herceptin though, he's confident it will work.

If anyone can chime in with their experiences...I would appreciate it.

Nurse4u2day 04-20-2014 09:34 AM

Re: Vinorelibine + Herceptin???

I don't know anything about the vinorilibline, but the TH. I do. I have a very aggressive cancer and toss in her2 lucky me. Anyhow I did the 4 dd Ac and lost all my hair on that , also bad se. I have now been on TH for 2 1/2 months . My hair actually started to grow back.other then that few side effects. The worse for me is the tiredness . While on AC my mass ( sheets no ball of tumor that's ibc for you 5cm x 5 cm) slowly started to shrink, progress yes but not what I was hoping for. I am now on round 10 of 12 of TH and we can no longer feel anything. Oncologist says my tissue feels like plain old breast tissue. You have a tough decision ahead of you . When I did the AC I to had to decide between AC and some newer tx that just came out in oct 2013. And in all honesty if the taxol didn't work before you would have to press me hard to try it again even with the herceptin . But I have heard it works great with herceptin as it is with me thus far.

StephN 04-20-2014 12:42 PM

Hello -
I had ALL THREE at once on a weekly basis. Taxol, Navelbine (vin) and Herceptin. This is not a usual treatment and I was in a small trial. A couple of us from that group of 20 are still alive today and NED many years later.

Taxol and Vin work during the cell division process - each at a different phase. Maybe you would look up how these drugs work against the cancer cells and see how they work synergistically with herceptin. All three drugs have a different way of helping shutting down the cancer cell division.

Don't look for the side effects until any show up. Our imagination can be pretty lively. I mainly had fatigue and mouth sores. Just concentrate on the drugs killing the cancer cells as fast as they are dividing.

Adriana Mangus 04-20-2014 10:09 PM

Hi,

I was on Vinorelibine and Herceptin and it did the trick for me for quite a long time, first time around - - 2003- same mets as yours.

I guess it's up to you to decide, I would have a conversation with my onc and make a decision based on his medical experience, how many patients has he treated, length of practice, etc.

As far as side effects, just a mild diahrrea nothing major this was one of he best treatment for me as it allowed me to continue working.

Please keep us posted.

Adriana

WayTooYoung 05-03-2014 08:43 AM

Hello Ladies, and thank you for sharing your experiences with each drug. I finally decided to go for vinorelibine + herceptin and had my first infusion yesterday. I did not opt for taxol + herceptin as I need to work and wanted to keep my quality of life. This morning, I just feel slightly foggy in my head and my stomach is slightly gurgly. I find warm liquids help to soothe it.

Fingers crossed this will buy me some time. I was just reading another thread about CD47 and it sounds quite promising. Any ideas when trials will begin???