HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Doctor diagnosed with Cancer talks about food. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44289)

ElaineM 03-19-2010 11:48 AM

Doctor diagnosed with Cancer talks about food.

"My Diagnosis
Diagnosed with brain cancer 16 years ago, David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD was told by his oncologist that changing his diet would not impact his results. He was determined to prove his doctor wrong. Through months of research and traveling the globe, he discovered a multitude of cancer-fighting foods that helped him live a longer, healthier life. Now, you can benefit, too. Add one or more of these foods to every meal to optimize your full potential to prevent and fight cancer. "
Please ollow link for the rest of the story.
http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-c...-cures-healing
I always thought if doctors experienced cancer for themselves they would truly understand and go out and find ways to help themselves and their patients even more than they do now. This article is an interesting read !!! Be sure to click on the arrows below the photo for information about the foods and how they might help.

VirginiaGirl 03-20-2010 05:02 AM

Re: Doctor diagnosed with Cancer talks about food.

I have his book, Anti Cancer: A New Way of Life, read it a few years ago and have to admit it kind of scared me, because it is so hard to eat in a truly healthy way. I am re-focusing my energies on nutrition and picked his book up again. My onc has never recommended, nor have I asked him for help with, seeing a nutritionist, but when I told him last week I'd started seeing a holistic nurse for this, he was very happy. He clearly views it as supplementary support, though, not a potential cure, but I was glad he was happy about it. Anyway, I'd recommend his book, as well.

TanyaRD 03-23-2010 07:00 AM

I have not read his book. I don't yet believe that nutrition will cure a cancer that has already developed. However, the evidence is mounting that in many cases it is key in prevention and more recently discovered as a benefit in preventing recurrence in some cases. I often compare good nutrition to good fuel in a vehicle. You wouldn't put bad gas in your car and expect it to run well. You can't feed your body junk and expect it to run well either.

ElaineM 01-18-2012 03:07 PM

I went to the anti cancer book website and watched the lecture last year, but someone gave me the book for Christmas. I am reading it and finding it very useful now.
Unfortunately the author passed away last July, but by learning about nutrition and healthy living he was able to live alot longer than his doctors expected him to live.

Mtngrl 01-22-2012 05:07 PM

Dr. Servan-Scrhreiber talked about the cancer "terrain" that we create with diet, mental habits and lifestyle. He did not say that following the recommendations in the book could be a "cure" in and of itself, and did not eschew medical intervention. But he believed his lifestyle choices helped him keep the cancer at bay. He said the kind of brain cancer he had was usually very aggressive but his was "well mannered," for 17 years anyway.

Most importantly, he emphasized that healthy eating, healthy mental habits and exercise gave him a vastly improved quality of life. The discipline of trying to have a healthy "terrain" made him a better person.

Significantly, he did not say there are just one or two foods that can help boost the immune system and deal with cancer. He said we should eat lots of fruits and vegetables, avoid red meat, drink green tea, exercise, use herbs and spices, avoid sugar, eat foods with a low glycemic load, and maintain a healthy weight. Also, he points out that unlike drugs, foods and seasonings have been in use by billions of people for hundreds of thousands of years. It can't hurt!

He was French, so he also said one glass of red wine a day is healthful. He believed the studies linking alcohol with increased breast cancer risk were flawed.

I'm not advocating any specific behavior (especially not the alcohol--I don't feel qualified to buck the current state of science on that). I just wanted to expand a bit on what Elaine and the article said. (By the way, Elaine, the link didn't work for me.)

It's a good book. I was sad to learn that he had died (of the brain cancer), but that doesn't take away from the usefulness of the book. I, too, recommend it.