HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mindfulness (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60689)

Mtngrl 04-06-2014 10:14 AM

Mindfulness

I recently posted in another thread that I don't believe positive thinking can cure disease. I also think it's cruel to place that burden on sick people. They feel crappy, they've been traumatized, they're scared, and they think they're screwing up by not "thinking positively."

For an insightful and brilliant look at the very American, paradoxically Puritan cult of positive thinking, I highly recommend Barbara Ehrenreich's book, Bright Sided. The first chapter is about her encounters with it when she had breast cancer.

In that same comment I talked about mindfulness meditation. It is a practice of not thinking, of detaching from the storm of thoughts that constantly rages in one's head, especially in stressful times. With practice, it's possible to enter into a "zone" of serenity and acceptance. I first learned it from a book called Wherever You Go, There You Are, by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Then I learned of a Christian version called "centering prayer."

Other practices can have a similar effect. Yoga does. Running, walking, bicycling, swimming or rowing can too. (Physical activity can also increase endorphins and boost immune function, so they are especially beneficial for people who have the ability to engage in them.)

What they all have in common is letting go: not thinking, not planning, not forecasting disaster, not worrying, but just being. You breathe. You notice, but you don't react. You notice thoughts, sounds, bodily sensations, but you don't focus on them. You just stay in the now.

For me, knitting is a meditative practice. I find it's not possible to be anxious while I'm knitting. It calms me down and centers me. I can recite prayers, psalms, hymn verses and the like while I knit, or I can just let the clicking of the needles be my mantra. It's nice to end up with tangible products (hats, scarves, mittens, socks, shawls, etc.) but it's not why I do it. It's the journey, not the destination.

I am less reactive, angry, unreasonable, and judgmental than I used to be. I am more peaceful. Whether I live another 30 years or only another 30 months, it's the way I want to live.

The present moment is all that any of us has. I want to be as fully present to myself and to the people in my life as possible. I want to be awake, aware, and at peace.

Carol Ann 04-06-2014 11:18 AM

Re: Mindfulness

Amy, once again, THANK YOU!! I needed so much to ead/hear this message today. :)

Carol Ann

BonnieR 04-06-2014 11:27 AM

Thank you for expanding on what we were discussing on the other thread. You are so much more succinct and expressive! Yes, "mindfulness" was the concept I was trying to describe. I have taken some mindful meditation courses by a follower of Jon Cabot-Zin ( but of course I forget to practice it!) and the sensation of suspension in time and space is a welcomed thing. Leaving the mind open to let new ideas float in. New insights. Moments of clarity. Peace Being totally in the moment
My special place is creating art. When in my studio I loose all sense of time while "in the zone"
And I hope for everyone to keep the faith

Saygoon 04-12-2014 11:20 PM

Thank you Ladies for the "reminder" of peacefulness and staying in the moment - I've had an I feel sorry for me day and needed to hear your words....

StephN 04-15-2014 12:37 PM

You put these thoughts so well, Mtngrl.

As I overcame my stage IV mets, people would tell me that I much have had a very powerful positive attitude.

I DID have a positive attitude, but did not think it would cure me. I knew only the drugs working the way they were intended to work would be my way out. This possibility is where I put my focus. Along with positive affirmation every night before going to sleep. (Used Belleruth Naparstek's tape on cancer.)

Mtngrl wrote, "What they all have in common is letting go: not thinking, not planning, not forecasting disaster, not worrying, but just being. You breathe. You notice, but you don't react."

Music was where I would get into a zone. I played CD's all day and evening, which helped take my mind off of "getting my wishes in order" which I never did.

Week by week, blood work report to the next report, scan to scan. I was able to stay in these small chunks of time and told myself I had to accomplish ONE thing each day. That could be as mundane as emptying the dishwasher and cleaning the counters. Or I might tackle a bit of paperwork and balance my check book. Staying in my "zone" as much as possible had the most importance. Luckily my husband was understanding and tolerant of my shortcomings.