HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Weight Gain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57963)

Redwolf8812 04-30-2013 05:21 AM

Weight Gain

The T-DM1 has me feeling slightly nauseous. Not bad, just enough to make me lose my appetite for most of the day. I have been consuming way less calories and still gained weight! Grrr! I feel like I'm part of someone's cruel joke. Cancer and weight gain. Perfect together. Oh, and yes, I exercise. Not marathon-training, but I still get at least 20 minutes of cardio/day, plus some weight-bearing work-outs. Had to go buy some new clothes and went up yet another size.

- Penny

P.S. "Perfect together" is a play on words. It used to be Jersey's slogan. "New Jersey & you. Perfect together". Just for those trivia-minded folk. :-)

Laurel 04-30-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Weight Gain

Ok, that does just majorly suck. No other way to express it. I am sorry and hope this is just your body adjusting.

NEDenise 05-01-2013 05:09 AM

Penny...Hunny...under the heading of "misery loves company"...let me share...

I am 5 foot 8. At the beginning of this nightmare, two years ago...I was 153 pounds, and a slim size 10, that I did absolutely nothing to maintain. The ballooning began almost immediately upon the introduction of the first chemo drug and has not slowed one iota!

At my last weigh-in, I tipped the scales at 207 pounds! On a good day...my steroid bloated belly can be squeezed into a size 16 slacks. Otherwise...look for me in granny-worthy stretchy things. It's okay though...because my swollen face looks so other-wordly...I don't think anyone notices what I'm wearing anyway. :)

Diet and exercise? Yep...got that covered. Better at that than I've ever been...lotta good it's doing my figure. I do think it's helping inside though. I try to tell myself that someday...this too shall pass...but sheesh, it sucks right now.

So for now...I try to hear my Aunt Mary's voice in my head...she used to refer to herself as "Fat and Jolly"...and she was, God Bless her! I'd rather be thin and jolly...but that's just vanity talking. My doctors don't see the extra weight as anything to even comment on. So...for now...I'll just keep avoiding mirrors, and scales. :)

I hope my company in your misery helps!
Love and prayers are always headed your way!
Denise

PS - I remember "New Jersey and you-perfect together"! Governor Tom Kean....right? Makes me crave a Jersey tomato sandwich right this very minute!!

suzan w 05-01-2013 10:51 AM

I agree...I really started adding pounds after oophorectomy...frustrated

sarah 05-01-2013 11:03 AM

gained 15 pounds during chemo (Taxol) and have never lost it. trying now to lose some. Didn't expect it.

BonnieR 05-01-2013 11:47 AM

I thought I would loose weight when I finished AIs...Doctor thought so too. Instead, I have been gaining and weigh more than I ever have. Must admit to having been indulgent and now it is coming back to bite me. But aside from desserts, my eating habits are quite good.. but I need to get back on the Weight Watchers track
Just remember, keep your eye on the prize. Weight is the least of our problems, really. It is just the way things are at the moment. It wont always be this way...
keep the faith

KsGal 05-01-2013 12:09 PM

Im there with you too. Im 5 foot 3 and ended up weighing 171 after my battle with dexa and whole brain radiation. I had never seen a number like that on my scale in MY LIFE. I had to sit down and cry. Someone at the store asked me when my baby was due. We just never know which side effect we are gonna get from these things, do we?
I totally lost my appetite and really have to struggle to get down anything, and the doctor says it is because my liver enzymes are so elevated. Maybe yours are too?
Right now Im just on Tykerb and Herceptin, and Im back down to about 146 pounds, which is about 10 pounds more than I was when I started this cruddy dance with breast cancer. I still look like a pregnant woman, just a smaller pregnant woman. Shoot, sometimes I even feel happy that I look well enough people would assume Im pregnant rather than having stage IV cancer. ((hugs)) to you.

Redwolf8812 05-01-2013 03:38 PM

KSgal - I am also 5'3" and started out at 146 and am now up to the 171. Lot in common so maybe I can get down to the 146 with you.

Denise - I will bring you a jersey tomato sandwich if you'll bring me a roast beef sandwich from Nick's on 20th and Jackson!

- Penny

starwishn2 05-09-2013 11:33 PM

YUP! Weight gain here as well. I had just lost 40 lbs when I found my lump so my body never had time to stabilize on my new and improved weight. Cancer/chemo does play dirty tricks on us!!

Hang in there.... Like Denise said - jolly is good!
Jeri