HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I fell and broke my femur (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51843)

Pam P 10-20-2011 06:42 AM

I fell and broke my femur

I am so discouraged! I fell - just went down so fast I don't know if I lost my balance or tripped. Broke my right femur. Luckily I'd already had the rod in place so it's not as "big" a deal as it would have been. I'm back to being homebound with a walker. Can't drive. Have to let it heal. The rod lets me have weight on it but it isn't steady and my balance is so much worse. One step forward 3 steps back it seems. I was just starting to feel stronger after the rads and now this. What a bummer. I have only until Dec. 10 to be in shape for my son's wedding. I won't be dancing but pray I won't need the walker. I don't have much pain - ibuprofin takes are of it so that is good. This isn't as bad as a bad cancer report but yet another challenge to deal with. Thanks for your support on this. Pam

Mel3 10-20-2011 06:51 AM

Re: I fell and broke my femur

Gosh, Pam, I'm sorry to hear this. You have been through so much. I pray for strength and healing for you, and that you will be without a walker and standing strong and smiling at your son's wedding.

caya 10-20-2011 07:34 AM

Sorry to hear of this Pam - You certainly didn't need this (who does?).
Rest up and try to regain your strength as you look forward to your son's wedding - something happy to focus on!!

all the best
caya

Jackie07 10-20-2011 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear that, Pam.

Your story reads very similar to my Father-in-law's. He had refused to use the walker and cane after his initial surgery/rehabilitation several years ago. So he fell again and had to have another surgery.

It's really hard to find the right balance. He 'only' lost his footing when he was in a hurry. Now he's much more careful and would hold on to the wall or 'something'.

Hope you feel better soon.

PinkGirl 10-20-2011 08:53 AM

Dang it Pam ... so sorry to hear this news. Be patient and let it
heal ... don't think too far ahead ... you know, you can always decorate
your walker with nice flowers to match your dress :) ... the possibilities
are endless ...

michka 10-20-2011 09:16 AM

Oh no Pam, I was hopping you were better now. You have to be patient again but I hope you will feel well for your son's wedding! Hugs. Michka

chrisy 10-20-2011 09:19 AM

Oh Pam - so sorry to hear this. take care of yourself and hope you heal quickly

Ceesun 10-20-2011 09:26 AM

Pam, so sorry to hear this---heal well and enjoy the wedding! Ceesun

Emelie B 10-20-2011 09:34 AM

I am so sorry for you! I have not broken my femur, but I had surgery for plantar fasciitis last Wed. Been on crutches until yesterday, and now I only need one crutch and the walking boot. I too have been, and will be, house bound until I get the stiches out next week. Patience in not one of my virtues, but I am trying to be a good girl.
Let's be "good girls" together and dig down deep for that elusive Patience thing!
Take care lady and know you are NOT alone.
Emelie

BonnieR 10-20-2011 09:54 AM

I was thinking along the same lines as Pink Girl. If needed, decorate the heck out of the walker! You have been very good at making lemonade so I know this won't hold you back. But I am very sorry it happened, of course.
Keep the faith

KDR 10-20-2011 10:03 AM

Pam,
So sorry! Wish I were there to help you out,
Your friend,
Karen

NEDenise 10-20-2011 10:06 AM

Oh, Pam!
I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. What a pain!!
But...when the wedding rolls around... I have a feeling, walker or no walker, your son will be thrilled that you're there! Your lucky new daughter-in-law too!

I'm still going to pray that you'll be able to walk on your own by then...but it will only make the day easier...not more beautiful!

I hope each day gets better and easier!!
Sending you a ((hug)), through cyberspace!
Denise

ElaineM 10-20-2011 10:25 AM

Oh no Pam !! I am so sorry to hear about your accident.
You need to write a book about all the stuff that has happened to you since your diagnosis.
I know you wil be at your son's wedding on December 10th. I know your son and his bride will be thrilled to see you at their wedding with or without a walker. If you still need the walker you can decorate it to match your outfit or to match the wedding theme.
Who says you won't be able to dance? All you need is a nice partner to help you. Smile Pam !!
If you enjoy dairy products and leafy green veggies now is the time to enjoy more of them.
Take good care of yourself. I have my fingers crossed for good healing all around.

schoolteacher 10-20-2011 03:31 PM

Pam,
Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are feeling better.

Amelia

Pray 10-20-2011 03:57 PM

Hi Pam,

I concur with Karen, I sure wish we lived Closer I would love to be there for you! So sorry this happened to you. Gods blessings to wonderful women!

Also, Gods blessings to your Son and Daughter-in-Law. I wish them good health, and great joy on their big adventure together!

Your Friend,

Nancy

Laurel 10-20-2011 04:48 PM

Pam,

I am so sorry to hear of this set back, Pam, but I think you will be beautiful at that wedding walker or no walker. How exciting for you to be seeing your son wed. I will pray you will be able to leave it at home for the big day.

sassy 10-20-2011 06:31 PM

OH Pam! I am so sorry you have another issue to deal with. But I know you will be at your son's wedding, beautifully decorated walker or not!

Trish 10-20-2011 11:26 PM

So sorry to hear that, but glad the pain is manageable with ibruprofen. Hope it heals enough for you to be comfortable at the wedding.
Trish

Pam P 10-21-2011 05:57 AM

Thanks everyone for all your cheer and encouragement. I am more achy now than initially, maybe it's just part of the process. I have never broken a bone before. I continue to be very bummed out by this but your kind words help so much. Thank you.

CoolBreeze 10-21-2011 12:30 PM

Let me add my voice to the chorus of well-wishers. Here's hoping you feel better soon.