HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Help, Herceptin weekly? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37542)

Snufi 01-12-2009 04:06 PM

Help, Herceptin weekly?

Hi to all, Had an appointment with the nurse today to go over chemo treatment scheduled for Wednesday. She tells me Dr. wants to give me TCH every 3 weeks but also herceptin every week for the next 18 weeks and then to complete a year. This is the first I eard of this. My dr. told me last week herceptin given every 3 weeks with chemo. The other 2 drs consultes with told me the same. Has any of you heard of Herceptin every week like this for Stage 2A. I told the nurse I wanted to stick with the every 3 weeks treatment and she said okay. why did she even bring up the herceptin weekly for the next 18 weeks? Am very confused.

ninicruce 01-12-2009 04:46 PM

Hi, Snufi,
I had a 4 course of regular chemo, then a course of Herceptin with another drug every week for 2months or so. Then I began a year long course of every 3 weeks. I believe this is standard. This is my 2nd time for BC after a break of 15 years, so I am being extra agressive and have continued my Herceptin for over 2 years. There are very little side effects- they monitor my heart every 2 -3 months and the rate has stayed acceptable. This is a great drug. I had friends 15 years ago with HR2 and they did not make it and didn't get this drug.God bless,
Jeani

Peggy 01-12-2009 05:17 PM

Every week

Hi,

I had herceptin weekly while I was having chemo and then switched to every three weeks after I completed the chemo. I think I was told my ONC thought it might be easier on my body and possibly more effective. I was also in a clinical trial and the weekly admission was part of the protocol. I asked to switch to the every three weeks after I completed chemo because I work and it was more convenient.

I had a complete pathological remission at surgery after the chemo...so for me, at least, it was a great choice to do weekly. However, I don't really think studies show any difference between the weekly and three week cycles.

I know it is stressful to think you have a plan and then find there are other ways...but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Peggy

pffida 01-12-2009 05:51 PM

I started out with it every 3 weeks. When I developed cardiomyopathy, I took a herceptin holiday for six weeks. Then I started back with weekly treatments with no further problems.

freyja 01-12-2009 06:10 PM

I also had Herceptin weekly during TCH, and switched to every 3 weeks after. My onc told me he thought it was fine to do it every 3 weeks, but weekly was the way it's been done for a long time so they just keep doing it that way, so I think either way is totally fine...don't worry about a thing.

Cannon 01-12-2009 08:38 PM

I had mine given weekly - my dr. said that his anecdotal experience suggested it was better. I took every opportunity to give myself any advantage in my treatment.

atdec05 01-12-2009 08:58 PM

I had Herceptin weekly for the 1st 6 months, then my doctor was less strict and let me do a 3-week dosage around the holidays and for me to do a summer trip.

When I did Taxol for a recurrence I had Herceptin weekly with it.

I think the weekly was slightly easier. I definitely felt more flu-like symptoms when I did the 3-week dosage, but it didn't last too long and it was convenient.

Sherryg683 01-12-2009 09:13 PM

I did taxotere, xeloda, and herceptin together. The taxotere was given every 3 weeks, I did herceptin weekly. My oncologist told me that personally, he favored the weekly doses. After I finished chemo, I continued to do herceptin weekly for 2 years. After the second year, I got tired of going to the clinic every week, so we swiched it to every 3 weeks. I have always had side effects with herceptin and it is harder physically on me to do it every 3 weeks but emotionally it is better. You are basically getting the same treatment, it's just with the 3 week dose you get triple the amount, this is what most people do. Having done them both, the weekly dose was easier to tolerate. I am adjusting to the 3 week doses and have them drip it a little slower to help with the side effects, terrible headaches and sinus issues and fatigue...sherryg683

schoolteacher 01-13-2009 05:55 AM

I also did Herceptin weekly for six months. I think it was easier on my body than when the dose was increased to every three weeks.

I have been taking the Herceptin for three weeks for five months now. I start my sixth month of Herceptin tomorrow.

Amelia

harrie 01-13-2009 11:56 PM

Snufi,
I had TCH every 3 wks, 6 times. During the TCH, I was given herceptin every wk. After the TC was done, I did the herceptin weekly until it made one yr. I had minimal if any side effects from the herceptin.
Maryanne