HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tykerb Diet (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47120)

msleslie 10-10-2010 06:54 AM

Tykerb Diet

Would like to know which foods/drinks work well for those of us on Tykerb. I'm starving but afraid to eat anything because of the stomach cramps and diarrhea. Let's share our learnings here.

Delaney 10-10-2010 08:11 AM

Re: Tykerb Diet

I'm on tyverb and xeloda and have learned to avoid eating too much cream and cheese. Otherwise I can eat what I like.

ElaineM 10-10-2010 10:24 AM

I would ask our dietician Tanya about that.I did read that it is not good to eat grapefruit when taking Tykerb though. There are alot of ladies on this board who took Tykerb, so they might have some ideas.
I would imagine that any food that helps to slow down diarrhea would be good. You could do a search on foods to prevent diarrhea and see what comes up. How about low fiber carbs like white rice with a small portion of cooked low carb veggies and a low fat protein source? A low fat diet might be good too. Dry toast and a banana with a cup of tea might be a good breakfast.
A good quality Yoghurt with lots of probiotics is usually good for over all digestive and intestinal health.
Good luck. Healthy eating.

msleslie 10-10-2010 10:54 AM

That is correct - we can not have grapefruit. I'm looking for real life lessons from those who are currently on the drug or have previously taken it. Here is what I have learned so far: Avoid dairy, fancy coffees, whole grains. I'm able to eat white toast, meat, canned fruit, jello, apple sauce.

my2boys 10-10-2010 07:25 PM

Hi Msleslie,

I am currently on herceptin and tykerb. I find that dairy seems to bring on diarrhea right away, so I stay away from dairy.

I would recommend bagels. It sounds silly, but they work great. I put a very little bit of butter with jelly on a bagel and it sits great with me. I can also eat apples, bananas, spaghetti and tomato sauce (not too much) and white rice without reaction. No problem with meat, chicken or fish, just make sure they are well cooked. I stay away from ice cream or anything too cold to drink, but I don't seem to have a problem with coffee or tea in the mornings.

Just the other day, my doctor told me to try and add small portions of salad back into my diet a little at a time because she thinks that over time I will be able to eat a normal diet. I have been trying small servings of raw carrots and lettuce/tomato for a few days now....unfortunately I had a reaction each time I did, but if I take an immodium right away, it seems to stop it. I will continue as my doctor suggested because I would like to think that I can enjoy fresh fruits and veggies again real soon.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

msleslie 10-11-2010 11:15 AM

my2boys - I too miss my salads and fresh fruit but I'm afraid to go anywhere near them right now. Living off of bread(pastries), meat, jello,canned fruit is getting to be pretty boring for me. How is your energy level? I'm planning to take a Caribbean vacation in July while still on Herceptin/Tykerb combo - I'm praying that this will not be a mistake.

Barbara H. 10-11-2010 11:29 AM

You have to be careful at first until you adjust to Tykerb. After that I found that I can eat anything. If I start to notice an issue then I cut back. It doesn't happen often, and I feel it is essential to eat healthy. As a teacher there I times when I just can't run to the bathroom, and that can be a problem.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

msleslie 10-11-2010 11:42 AM

@Barbara - The weird thing is that I've been on Tykerb since August but this was the first time I experienced the severe issues. I will slowly try to introduce fruits/veggies back into my system next week. Thanks for the tips!

my2boys 10-11-2010 02:13 PM

msleslie, My energy level has been just great. I was on different chemo than you. I was on AC/TH. Fatigue isn't too bad. I did the TCH last year and I was a bit more fatigued than this time around, but not too bad.

They started me on Tykerb in June at 750mg per day and I was fine until late July and they had to stop it for a few weeks. I started up again after few weeks at 500mg per day and once I was okay with this dose, they doubled it to 1000mg per day. I did take two vacations over the summer, once while on Tykerb/Taxol/Herceptin and once while I was taking a break from Tykerb, but I was on Taxol/Herceptin. I was fine for both of them. No alcohol consumption though. This is a no, no.

Just remember to take the immodium at the FIRST SIGN of trouble and you should be fine.

I think that my trouble started when I waited too long to take immodium or lomotil. I learned my lesson and don't wait anymore.

Trying salad again tonight.....wish me luck?

Stay strong ladies,
Anne

ginnyg898 10-11-2010 03:25 PM

Thanks for posting this question, MsLeslie! I am on the same therapy and since my first infusion I have been living on tea, water, and as much chicken soup as I can keep down. Good to hear that my body may soon start recovering!

SoCalGal 10-14-2010 04:39 PM

I've had pretty good luck with a couple of things...gluten free and dairy free diet for 3 1/2 years seems to be easy on my system. Tykerb plus all the chemo add-in's plays havoc on your gastro system. Some avoid wheat and dairy - others have added a nightly dose of immodium as a preventative. I recently met with a gastro doc who is also a friend. He said that many people can tolerate foods at a reduced dose. In other words, when I told him I missed eating a big crunchy salad, he said try a very small salad and it will probably be fine. He also said that unless my lifestyle was suffering, there was no reason to worry about non-formed stools a couple of times a day. I found that no two days were alike, no two reactions were the same and it was just a one day at a time approach to getting thru the day. Ms Leslie - I did not have cramps or pain, just the poopariahs all the time. There are many women who have been on tykerb with good and great results for a long time! One last tidbit of advise, to avoid dehydration drink not just water with electrolytes but you'll need to consider replenishing sodium, too. Trader Joe's has an instant MISO SOUP in a packet with a big sodium load that would help me stay out of the critical low ranges. PM me if you want any other info!!

vlcarr 10-14-2010 05:21 PM

Just wanted to share that I had no stomach problems while on Tykerb/Herceptin--had an issue one time but avoided salads and the usual stuff I knew would upset my stomach.

Msleslie, I had really bad stomach cramps while on TCH and it seems I remember they got worse around the 3rd one. I was not on Tykerb at the time like you are but wanted to share that. Could is be possible it's the TCH and not the Tykerb? Just wanted to throw that out since you mentioned you had not had the problems before.

msleslie 10-14-2010 05:22 PM

@SoCalGal - I plan to take a field trip to Trader's Joe tomorrow. I will look for the soup since my nurse also indicated the importance of sodium. I was told to stop the Tykerb for one week to give my body a rest. My medical team was concerned about the severe issues I had earlier in the week while taking imodium around the clock. Next week, we will reintroduce the Tykerb into my system. I will also be looking for drinks that help with electrolytes.
@my2boys - Where you able to handle the salad go?

msleslie 10-14-2010 05:25 PM

@vlcarr - thanks for the info - it is very possible that it was Chemo#3 but of course it is difficult to tell which drug is causing a symptom since I'm on so many meds at one time.

ElaineM 10-15-2010 09:35 AM

Don't forget potassium if you have diarrhea. Potassium is just as important as salt in the diet. People loose potassium when they have diarrhea. Potassium helps heart function and it helps keep blood pressure under control. Healthy heart function is important when taking Herceptin and Tykerb. Eat some potassium rich foods like bananas, which by the way are also good when a person has diarrhea. Drink alot of water. Alot of regular markets have miso soup now. Miso is made from agged fermented soy and is a little salty. There are two kinds, red and white. I like the milder white miso.

msleslie 10-15-2010 11:31 AM

Yes, I've been eating the bananas & drinking coconut water which is suppose to have more potassium than bananas. Thanks!

my2boys 10-16-2010 06:21 AM

Small salad was just fine....hooray!! I even ate a pear yesterday. Now I will wait a day and try again.

I think that the Tykerb is better tolerated when the chemo is out of the mix. No way I could have done this when I was on Taxol with Herceptin and Tykerb.

hezzy_9805 10-19-2010 02:33 PM

When I started Tykerb I couldn't find anything to balance eating and freg.bathroom breaks. I started diphen/atrop and take one the first five min. Im awake, than take one five min. after taking Tykerb. IF off on time than, well no balance with the digestive system. Other than that balance is great I love the med

pibikay 10-25-2010 12:05 AM

My wife is on seperated buttermilk, applejuice and btrads and rice.Seem to work