HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   controlling Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47287)

hezzy_9805 10-19-2010 02:57 PM

controlling Tykerb

I started Tykerb less than a year ago. I had severe diarrhea for months and couldn't find any control. I was trying the BRAT (bread,rice,apples,toast). After some time I found out about diphen/atrop (lomotil) to control freq.bathroom breaks.
Im taking 5 Tykerbs 500mg. If I take diphen/atrop the first five minutes Im awake, and the first five min. after taking Tykerb I have NO side effects, tummy ache, freq.bathroom visits with diarrhea .... nothing!!!!

Just hoping this helps someone else too.

Laurel 10-19-2010 07:02 PM

Re: controlling Tykerb

Wow! I have long appreciated the effectiveness of Lomotil.

pibikay 10-24-2010 11:59 PM

My started on Tykerb and Xeloda on the 22nd.23rd morning was terrible for her. The Onc suggested cutting Xeloda for a day and if needed to take 1 Tan of Immodim a anti diorreal.Ysterday she started Xeloda againand this morning the frequency incresed and she has taken an immodium.

pibikay 10-25-2010 12:07 AM

BTW hezzy PBK again. Is lomotil an anti diafrreal?
All the best

Sandra in GA 10-25-2010 05:22 PM

Yes it is an antidiarrheal. Here in US it is by prescription only. I found that taking one Lomotil along with 2 Immodium at the very first sign of any problem worked. The suggested dose of Immodium is two after the first stool and one after each succeeding one up to (I think) 4 or 6 a day. I hope this helps your wife.

Sandra

Nano1 01-21-2011 12:00 AM

I began Tykerb 7 days ago. terrible diarrhea began within 2 days. I have found nothing that controls it. I also began Endocort ( intestinal sterorid) and Lialda in Aug 2010 for lymphacytic colitis. I am back again going up to 20x per day to bathroom. If one is not within 5 feet of where I stand, I am in big trouble.

Im going to speak to Dr about either changing Tykerb dosage. or removing from from treatment plan..dont know where to go at this point in time.

Stage 3B ER/PR + Her-2+
5/10 Lymph nodes +
Right Masect 1/05
ACT 2/05- 6/05
RADS 6/05 - 8/05
Tamoxifin 8/05- 6/2010
RECURRANCE 11/2010 Plueral Effusion ( 4 liters)
BONE METS

Trish 01-21-2011 12:10 AM

I started Tykerb/Xeloda Dec 2007 and developed severe diarrhoea and vomiting to the point of being hospitalised for dehydration on two occasions. I had to have breaks and the dose of both drugs was adjusted. I was thought to be particularly sensitive to that drug combination but I was on it for a year until some progression of my liver mets was noted at the beginning of 2010. I am now on Tykerb/Herceptin/Abraxane but I only take 750mg (3 tabs) rather than the 1250mg (5 tabs) recommended dose. Diarrhoea is a minor and not inconveniencing issue. Trish

Nancy L 01-21-2011 09:32 AM

I started Tykerb 2/2009. Dr. Slamon prescribed 1000mg of Tykerb plus Herceptin every three weeks. He told me 1000mg of Tykerb, not 1250mg, is the recommended dosage if you are also on Herceptin. If you are ONLY on Tykerb, the recommended dosage is 1250mg. After five days on 1000mg, I had a severe allergic reaction from Tykerb----hives all over my body. Dr. Slamon changed my dosage to 750mg (3 tablets) and that is what I have been on for two years and still NED.

I have diarrhea but it is controllable with diet and lomotil. I know that drugs definitely affect people differently and most physicians do not take the time to fine tune dosage for each patient. When a drug company does a study, they do not try to study different factors like weight, age, other medication interaction, etc. This is true for all drugs---not just cancer medication. My husband is extremely drug sensitive and gets every side effect listed on the information. Half of a standard dose of anything is all he needs to get the same result. I know it is scary to have a dosage adjustment for a cancer drug, but based on my experience you may want to consider this approach and talk to your oncologist.

Trish 01-22-2011 02:33 AM

As I understand it the trials go for the maximum tolerated rather than the minimum effective dose, so hopefully your oncologist can adjust the dose for you. I didn't realise 1000mg was the recommended dose in comb with Herceptin as I have never been able to cope with that level, but still responded really well and had no progression for a year. Recently since adding the 750 mg daily Tykerb (I had severe diarrhoea and skin probs at the 1k mg dose) to my Herceptin and Abraxane my tumour markers have plummeted. Hope your treatment goes well.
Trish

Trish