HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   HER2 Incidence by Geographical Location (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55850)

rhondalea 09-16-2012 05:58 PM

HER2 Incidence by Geographical Location

At long last, the survey.

Considering the amount of time that has elapsed, you'd think it would be more complex.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YJ27JNQ

I'm reluctant to post the login here in plain view, but if anyone wants to look at the results in their raw form, PM me, and I'll send you the particulars.

If I've missed something, please let me know, and I'll get it fixed.

rhondalea 09-16-2012 06:08 PM

Re: HER2 Incidence by Geographical Location

Afterthoughts...

Not sure I should have included the town.
Wondering if I should've asked about residence in the 10 years prior to diagnosis.
Hoping others will offer constructive criticism so we can make this better.

JennyB 09-16-2012 10:24 PM

just completed. I too think town may be overkill especially as,hopefully, lots of countries will be included?

I just spoke to onc last week he said West Australia has a Her2 rate of 10% versus the Sudan with 25%? Interesting eh?

rhondalea 09-17-2012 05:25 AM

Oh, yeah, well, there's already a big functional problem: I didn't write the PR/ER status questions in a way such that they'll be useful to see if there's a higher incidence of a particular hormone receptor status in a given area.

As for the towns, the form template is set up with demographic information from which one can choose items separately. I figured that since it was already there, I might as well leave it in, but you're absolutely right--it's overkill.

NEDenise 09-17-2012 05:30 AM

Done!
Thanks, Rhonda!

rhondalea 09-17-2012 05:08 PM

Towns are still overkill, but I just discovered that I wasn't looking at the data correctly, so my comment about hormone receptor status is incorrect.

As soon as we have a few more responses (last time I looked, 23 of us had taken the survey), I'll start to compile the data. I think I can do it in Excel and then upload it to Google Docs...or something like that. I'll figure it out. And again, if anyone wants to look at the data within the account, just send me a message, and I'll send you the login.

I'm now on paragraph 3, and the actual point of this post is to bump the thread so more people will see it.

Nancy L 09-17-2012 06:06 PM

Are you interested in where we live today or where we lived when first diagnosed?

rhondalea 09-17-2012 06:26 PM

Hi Nancy,

First diagnosed is probably a more useful answer.

(Were I adept at survey construction, I'd likely have realized that what we want to know is where you lived when diagnosed and, more importantly, where you lived in the 5-10 years prior to diagnosis. Alas, I blew it. Edited to add: I would fix it, but by the time I realized my mistake, we already had responses.)

carlatte7 09-17-2012 06:57 PM

Haha- i've lived *here* my whole life so it doesn't matter for me! Interesting stuff-thanks!

rhondalea 09-17-2012 08:37 PM

Rough tally of the results so far. (The numbers in the first column match up with the numbers from the individual responses. I put them in so that when someone sees a mistake, it'll be easier for me to fix.)

If we want a large sample, posting the survey link to the HER2 forum at BCO is probably the next thing to do. I'm torn about that, though, because I have an idea that we could make it a little more complex and get such useful information as, say, age at diagnosis.

For the record, I'm finding this a lot more interesting than doing what I ought to be doing now that I've got enough energy to do anything at all. :)

Edited to remove graphic. Link to results, here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmjt4nq4cz...%20Survey.docx

Pray 09-17-2012 08:46 PM

I think you Rock! Rhonda, I do appreciate the time and effort you are putting into this. Even more so the fact that you are enjoying it! Thank you! Thank you!

JennyB 09-18-2012 04:58 AM

Thank you so much for all this Rhonda I too think you rock!!

rhondalea 09-18-2012 08:23 AM

Y'all are so sweet, but I think "rocky" may be more apt at the moment.

As an example of that, I meant to ask Jenny about her onc's statistics, and then I just...forgot. Now that I remember, though...Jenny, can you ask him where he got those numbers? I've googled myself silly looking for a geographical breakdown for HER2, and no matter what search terms I use, I get garbage.

Anyway, here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmjt4nq4cz...%20Survey.docx

I didn't want to keep pasting updated lists, so I am sending you to my Dropbox instead, and I will let you know each time it grows. As of this morning, we have 36 responses.

If anyone has trouble with the link, please let me know.

MikeF 09-18-2012 09:34 AM

Just added Barbs info
Thanks;
Mike

rhondalea 09-19-2012 06:08 AM

Thanks, Mike.

We're up to 48 responses now. I also asked about posting the survey to BCO, and I'm waiting for a decision from the moderators.

Pray 09-21-2012 11:02 AM

Are we going to put this at the top of the her2 group so it can be seen all the time? Thanks again Rhonda your amazing!

rhondalea 09-22-2012 12:50 PM

We now have 63 responses.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but on Wednesday, I asked permission at BCO to post a link to the survey in two of the forums. I was told my request would be reviewed, so I'm waiting patiently for a reply.

I still can't find anything in Google, but I cannot fathom that keeping track of this is not being done by someone somewhere.

LeahM 09-22-2012 01:22 PM

added my info

rhondalea 09-22-2012 02:51 PM

Updated with your response, Leah, along with several more.

Y'know what would be nice, Nancy? Instead of sticky for just the survey, it might be helpful to have a sticky post with links to key information in these forums. A link to the survey could then be included in that post.

IMO, the least confusing way to do is to have one person responsible for the original post, which will then be updated as needed. Discussion can follow within the same thread, but it will be the original post to which others can be directed when they have questions about specific subjects.

I have no idea if what I just wrote makes any sense. I'm all a'boggle today.

adelay 09-22-2012 03:21 PM

My info added, thanks for doing this.