HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mom (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35366)

Rich66 09-02-2008 11:47 PM

Mom

Mom had stage 2 her2 pos dx nov '04. had surgery, rads and arimidex. Had stomach issues in the last few months, went to a new onc (old one left), had CAT scan which shows "tumors" on liver according to Mom.
She goes in for biopsy Fri. I fear the worst. If anyone can give something to hang onto, please do.
Rich
richreilly at hotmail

Alice 09-03-2008 03:12 AM

Hi Rich,
Your mom is so lucky to have you. There are so many sons that don't seem to be concerned by this disease. If your mom truly has tumors on her liver there are many on this site that have been fighting the battle for a very long time. If the tumors are there I hope this will be the case for her. We will all say a prayer for good news and please let us know how we can help.
Alice

Lori R 09-03-2008 05:17 AM

Rich,
I agree with Alice. You mom is very lucky to have a son supporting her. Loving support certainly helps with this battle.

Now....from a "liver mets" gal. Please have HOPE. I certainly do. I was diagnosed with breast cancer almost a year ago. They found a couple of liver mets. Since that time, taxotere + the wonder drug Herceptin knocked it out.

I have been off Chemo since February of last year 2008.

As Alice mentioned, there are many drug options available these days that allow for a high quality of life even while fighting the cancer. Believe me, I have my mental list going of what to do next. We even have women on the site that are participating in trials that are VERY promising.

This is a FANTASTIC site and I am so glad that you found it. We have many supporters that participate. So please keep on writing.

There are MANY, MANY reasons to remain hopeful. One day at a time.....Lori

mts 09-03-2008 06:14 AM

Bumping this one up

Believe51 09-03-2008 07:42 AM

Rich

Welcome Rich, sorry we had to meet this way. I am also so sorry to hear about Mom's illness and want to personally commend you for your search to help her. Finding out about a loved one having this terrible disease is tough to comprehend and much data to filter. You have taken the first step by coming here. These family members are full of knowledge, support and wisdom.

Hang tight dear Rich, help is on the way. We have many members here that either have liver mets, have researched them or know someone whom has them. There is a wealth of knowledge and love here to embrace you and Mom as you continue on this journey. We will send you links to try to help aid your research for answers. Some of the things you learn you can take to the doctors for 'ammo', as they may spark more questions!

I hear the panic in your voice and have heard the same from mine in the past (and sometimes still do). This time for you may make you feel helpless and you may think you have no control over anything. You do Sweetheart, you have come here to search for help and that is a great first step. You are Mom's best advocate and I commend you for your dedication. The answers you get here or the questions you gather for her doctor will help those feelings lighten up a bit. Try to take a step back, breathe deep, search the forums. Search bar is up on top and very user friendly. "Liver Mets" should be enough. Any specific questions or feelings, please start a new post so you can get your own replies.

It is a tough job to be a caregiver, please take care of yourself while helping Mom. Also, we will be following her journey so post to us when you know more and you have the time.

I will be thinking of you both on Friday and holding you close to heart. Best of luck Rich's Mom, we are here for you. And Rich, a special prayer for you, you are a peach>>Believe51

Faith in Him 09-03-2008 08:57 AM

Rich,

I echo the rest of this wonderful group. You're a wonderful son. Please know that even if your mom does have tumors on her liver that there is lots of hope. Many, many women here have and currently are dealing with liver mets. Maybe your mom did not have herceptin up front since she was dx in '04. Herceptin has helped loads of women and men with this disease.

Keep the faith,
Tonya

Rich66 09-03-2008 09:14 AM

I came here a lot early on. Mom has emphysema and is now 71 which made for hard decisions/varying info on how she would handle chemo. She had a marginal MUGA too. 4 different doctors recommended against chemo or the then herceptin/adria trial but it was technically open to her. I feel less like advocate, more like 41 y/o baby.

chrisy 09-03-2008 04:13 PM

Rich,
No matter how old we get, our parents are still our mommy and daddy, and we are always their babies.

And although of course you are worried, do not lose heart. People can, and do live with cancer, even liver mets and although it is not curable (yet), it is treatable. For some people it can be managed as a chronic condition.

Sorry to hear about your mom's likely recurrence. Even though she has other issues she is dealing with which may complicate treatment decisions, there will still be some treatment options available to her. You still don't have all the information you need but are on the right track to get it with the upcoming biopsy.

If liver mets are confirmed, her oncologist should also ask for other tests (bone scan, brain mri, ECHO), because it is important to know what you are dealing with.

At that point, you can start looking at options. You will of course need to work within your mom's overall health issues, but many treatments are available that can be effective for a long time and with much less toxicity. It's not like it used to be in the past. Since she did not have chemo before, she may respond very very well to treatment.

Getting the heart checked out is probably the key, as the Her2 targeted therapies can impact heart function, although it is more of an issue when adriamycin has been part of a treatment plan.

If the disease is confined to only the liver, she may be a candidate for local treatment to the liver with RFA (radiofrequency ablation) which is not too invasive...but also not yet proven or "standard of care" so it's tough to get it paid for by insurance or medicare.

Anyway, do not lose heart, there is lots of hope out there. The picture is changing every day as researchers focus on more targeted therapies like herceptin and tykerb which go after the cancer without destroying the patient.

I'm still here 4 years post mets diagnosis, am nearly back in remission and plan to be around for quite a while.

Hang in there
Chris

Sheila 09-03-2008 04:59 PM

Rich
What a lucky Mom to have such a caring son! So glad that Chrisy responded, she is the official master of anything liver....and is living proof that mets are treatable...you are both in my prayers that if new disease is found, you will be able to take it head on and find the treatment easy on your Mom.

juanita 09-03-2008 05:35 PM

Can't give you any advice, just want to offer prayers for you and your mom.

Rich66 09-04-2008 10:50 AM

Any suggestions for top notch Oncs in a reasonable range from Madison, WI?

Sheila 09-04-2008 05:14 PM

Rich
How far are you from Chicago....or Milwaukee??

Rich66 09-04-2008 05:16 PM

Mom's about an hour from Milwaukee, about 2.5+ from Chi

Sheila 09-04-2008 05:43 PM

Rich
MaryJo on our board lives in Sheboyban, and it seems that she goes to Milwaukee....I could give you some top BREAST onc. in Chicago...is she up to that travel...sometmes its good to get a cutting edge opinion, then try and receive the treatment closer to home. Let me know.

Rich66 09-04-2008 07:52 PM

Any info and recommendations appreciated.
richreilly at hotmail

loveher 09-05-2008 02:25 PM

Hi Rich,
dont lose faith! i know it's really hard too see your mom going through so much.
my mom has had her 2 breast cancer for 9 years now, 7 years stage IV.
i really hope your mom's biopsy goes well. and i hope you take comfort in knowing that all of us people on this board are in the same boat as you.

Believe51 09-08-2008 10:46 AM

Rich

Thinking of Mom and you today. I hope that everything went well for the biopsy Friday and that the results are all that you pray for!!>>Believe51

PS: Any luck with locating a doctor??

Rich66 09-08-2008 11:26 AM

DOn't have results yet. Been gathering info for potential drug approaches and theraspheres etc. No decision on 2nd opinions..maybe Rush in Chicago...or??
Thank you for thinking of my Mom. wishing you the best with gamma knife. if you have a minute, consider sending a note to WHO about Kanzius. I think the world should be moving together on this.

Rich66 09-09-2008 12:20 PM

Liver mets appear to be confirmed. Awaiting er her2 stains

Cannon 09-09-2008 06:01 PM

Rich, sorry to hear the news is not what you and we hoped. You are being a great help to your mother - I have often felt that being the patient was easier than being a caregiver. Wishing you and your mom all the best,

Rebecca