HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Blood Counts and Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25203)

mindersue 08-31-2006 10:35 AM

Blood Counts and Herceptin

I'm currently in my 8th month of receiving Herceptin. Finished chemo last May and radiation in early August. I started taking Aromasin two weeks ago. My blood counts are really low. Does anybody have any experience with low blood counts AFTER chemo?

Dr. took my off Aromasin for a week. I'll get rechecked then, if not better, I'll get a bone marrow test. I really don't think it's the Aromasin, but I could be wrong.

THANKS!
Mindy

tousled1 08-31-2006 03:54 PM

I started Herceptin in June of this year and have had to have Procrit shots almost every week due to low blood count.

mindersue 08-31-2006 07:19 PM

How about Aromasin and low blood counts, or radiation and low blood counts?

Grasping for straws,

Mindy

tousled1 08-31-2006 07:52 PM

I'm not on Aromasin so I can't say how it affects blood counts. When I was on A/C and then Taxatore my red and white counts were always low. Then I was getting shots of Neulasta the day after chemo and Procrit the day of chemo.

chrisy 08-31-2006 08:34 PM

Mindy,
It can take some time for your blood counts to rebound after chemo. Are they continuing to drop on Aromasin/Herceptin or just not getting better? I've no experience with Aromasin, but have been on Herceptin alone for a year and a half and my blood counts have stayed pretty good.

mindersue 08-31-2006 09:15 PM

Thanks for the responses. My counts were low in July and lower today, after being on Aromasin for 2 weeks. My pharmacist friend said that Aromasin can cause counts to drop (about 20% of the time), as well as radiation.

I have to admit it freaked me out a little bit. : ) It just seems like they're going the wrong way. I'll wait and see how they come back in a week.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Sherryg683 09-01-2006 01:27 PM

I have been finished with chemo since April and radiation since June, I've been on Herceptin every week. I still drag butt. Yesterday after getting my scan results I decided to take a look at my blood counts, I just figured they would be fine since it's been months since heavy chemo. My white counts were very low and my red counts were right at the mininum. I don't know if it's the Herceptin or just my body hasn't recooped, but that explains my feeling sluggish. I take tons of vitamins and supplements too, so I thought my counts would be fine. My Oncologist isn't too concerned with it, but I will keep an eye on it..sherry

Barbara 09-01-2006 01:32 PM

Blood Counts

Hi:

I have been on Herceptin only for two years and my red and white counts are both below normal. They offer me Aranesp to boost my red cells but I have refused this medicine. Approximately 2-3% of patients are affected by Herceptin alone. Until you finish Herceptin it is difficult to determine if the cause is bone marrow suppression from the original chemo or Herceptin.

Barbara

Rupali 09-01-2006 02:41 PM

One of the things you need to do is to check for Magnesium and get in touch with an integrative medicine practicioner. Mine were low and they found I had a deficiency of Magnesium. I was put on Magnesium pills and evrything became ok.

Chelee 09-01-2006 11:36 PM

Mindy, I had just asked my infusion nurse about my red count staying a "little" low. Nothing to worry about...but I thought it would be back to normal by now? Last chemo was June 12th, however I still do weekly herceptin.

She said it can take up to six months for your counts to get back to normal. I asked if she thought it was the herceptin doing it? She had a bout with cancer 10 years ago and did chemo herself and she said her counts did not get back to normal till around 5 or 6 months.

I have heard about people having low counts after radiation. I would think it would take a little longer since your body has been put through so much. First chemo, then rads recently. Thats pretty hard on the body. Keep us updated and let us know if taking you off the Aromasin made any difference? (Although I wouldn't think it would..but then there is so much I don't know about these drugs? Anything is possible.) Hang in there!

Chelee

Bev 09-02-2006 08:57 PM

I went back to normal after chemo. Rads can affect counts as well. I'm sure ypur docs will have advice, but things should pick up after rads. Good luck. BB