HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hello from Colorado (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63728)

Mtngrl 09-08-2015 07:36 PM

Hello from Colorado

Hi everybody.

I'm in Denver. I got here August 27, and the moving van came about 3 days later. (It's all a blur!) I'm still working on cleaning, repairs, and organizing, and living among unpacked boxes, but there's a semblance of stability and normalcy starting to develop. I'm back in the house I bought in 1996. I left in 2008 to go to graduate school, and I never expected to be able to hold onto it. But here I am.

I have a new oncologist and a new pulmonologist. They are both personable, bright young women, and I like them. The oncologist ordered blood work when I saw her last Friday and, for the first time in years, everything is within normal limits. My platelets have been a little low and liver enzymes a little high ever since I was on Kadcyla.

Denver is more dry than Boston, but there are still a few trouble spots in the house in terms of chemicals and/or mold that make me ill. Today I put on my respirator and made another pass at the bathroom, using steam, vinegar, and elbow grease to get rid of the moldy caulk and yet another layer of ancient grime. I also cleaned the bedroom rug that I brought from Boston. (It had been in the living room in that space.) This evening I feel really good and the neuropathy in my hands and feet is noticeably diminished. Luckily the weather is perfect, and I'm able to keep windows open and fans going to keep airing out the house. Before I got here my kids coordinated removal of basement carpet that had been ruined by pet urine and feces, plus got moldy. To top it off, there were numerous solid "air fresheners" all over the basement. I'm horribly sensitive to that stuff.

Life is good.

suzan w 09-08-2015 07:51 PM

Re: Hello from Colorado

Wow, sounds like you've got your hands full!! Good luck, and safe breathing! I once rented my house to someone who only had "one little dog" ha!!! We ended up with new floors due to dog urine, mold and other unwelcome substances.

BonnieR 09-08-2015 11:31 PM

New beginnings!
Keep the faith

Pamelamary 09-09-2015 12:56 AM

Hope you settle both quickly and well, Amy.
Best wishes..... Pam

Carol Ann 09-09-2015 07:30 AM

I am so glad and excited for you, Amy! :)

YAY! That you are feeling well, that is wonderful!

Carol Ann

Mtngrl 09-09-2015 07:40 AM

It's exciting to be back. This is my hometown. I was gone seven years, and a whole lot happened in that time.

Of course it's stressful too, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Amy

caya 09-09-2015 04:23 PM

Sounds great Amy! It's always nice to go home!
Glad you're feeling better, your new docs sound terrific, and of course the blood work levels being good is always a source of good news.

all the best
caya

Lisalou 09-09-2015 05:06 PM

Sounds great! Enjoy the feeling of everything being fresh and new again
Lisa

thinkpositive 09-10-2015 11:52 AM

Amy,

Good to hear things are going well for you. It must be great to have a normal blood test! Now that you are back in Colorado hopefully your issues with mold will be resolved.

Take Care,
Brenda

Becky 09-10-2015 01:13 PM

I love Colorado and the State just got better with you in it. Enjoy!

Laurel 09-10-2015 06:25 PM

Hey Amy! Sounds like you're on a "Rocky Mountain High." Can't you just hear John Denver crooning in your ear? Glad you are happy!

Kkmom 09-11-2015 06:27 PM

Hi Amy,
It sounds like you are happy to be home. Maybe it is just what the doctor ordered. Happy Fall - coming soon - Pam

Mtngrl 09-12-2015 06:39 AM

Thank you, Friends. You're the best.

Love,
Amy

Catherine 09-15-2015 06:16 AM

Happy homecoming. That takes courage to make a big move and have to also clean out from the renters. I hope you have a long beautiful fall!

Hugs, Catherine

Tresorgh 09-16-2015 01:44 AM

Glad to hear it.Welcome back.

huawei mate s schutzhülle

LizzElliot 09-21-2015 08:56 PM

Hi Amy,
I'm in Centennial ... which was probably still Littleton when you left. Would love to meet you sometime. Welcome back!
Lizz

TracyD 09-22-2015 08:45 AM

Hi Amy and Lizz - I'm also in Centennial. Welcome back Amy? Would love to meet with you both sometime.

Mtngrl 10-04-2015 09:27 AM

Lizz and Tracy--

I'd love to get together sometime. Right now I still have too much to do and not enough time and energy, but I hope that will change soon.

Amy

Dakini52 10-04-2015 04:38 PM

Hi amy! So happy to see an update from you. I have thought of you often and am delighted to know that you are doing better in Colorado. I have started having lung issues recently and am wondering if it is being on Herception for going on 6 years, however, you have made me pay a lot closer attention to my surroundings to be sure nothing is lurking there. Thanks for your always helpful point of view. I hope Colorado continues to be a healthy place for you to live. I sometimes wonder about the wetness I live in in the Seattle area and think of moving to someplace dryer. Maybe it would be a good idea. Please continue to keep us posted on your progress.
Debbie

Mtngrl 10-05-2015 05:21 PM

Hi Debbie,

Good to hear from you! Your signature is inspiring--five years NED on just Herceptin is awesome.

I'm someone who needs "Herceptin Plus" something else. Luckily, I have no problem with Perjeta other than diarrhea, which is just my "new normal." (Although I do think I get worse diarrhea in conjunction with toxic exposures). I hope my next scan will show I'm NED, and I can fall back to just H&P to maintain that status.

Lungs are tricky to monitor and diagnose. Breathing problems can have a lot of causes, some of which might have synergistic effects. I think it has been helpful for me to use a HEPA filter air purifier in my bedroom. I got one that is not only Energy Star Certified and able to filter out mold, pollen, and all manner of volatile organic compounds, but is also rather beautiful. It wasn't cheap but I'm glad I got it.

Amy