HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   cancer strikes my family again!!!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39716)

charlotte 06-02-2009 05:48 PM

cancer strikes my family again!!!!

There was a song a long time ago, that went something like this... If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all>
My Niece just found out a few days ago... She has cancer all in her spine, on the hips, legs, and of course the brain. I honestly don't know how to advise her.. She says she "feels numb".
I told her if she didn't like the way the Oncologist is treating her,(uncaring) to go to another one.second opinion at least..
Any suggestions? I usually come here for guidance, knowledge, and a caring group of folks, to listen to me.

The Dr. wants her to take radiation first , then oral chemo. I forgot to ask her what type of cancer it is.
She is very nervous about all of this just hitting her, when a few weeks ago, she was at work.. (said she had some back aches now and then). Now this diagnosis.!!!
thanks for any responses... Charlotte

eric 06-02-2009 06:11 PM

Charlotte, what awful news. I'm so sorry for you, your family and most of all your neice. I agree with you, it's very important that she have a Dr that she trusts. That being said I would act quickly to set up other Dr appointments as I'm sure she will want to move quickly on attacking this beast.
I also understand your feeling regarding rotten luck. At times I struggle to look at the glass as half full but the truth is that looking at things half empty won't benefit us or our loved ones. I always think of a saying that I read on this site (excuse me if I don't have it exactly)...."this disease may dictate how long I live, but I won't let it dictate HOW I live".
Eric

CLTann 06-03-2009 02:31 AM

Charlotte, it is certainly a devastating situation. Still, we should do the best we can to check the progression and make the patient as comfortable as we can. I really doubt radiation will materially improve the situation, since there are so many sites under cancer attack. A whole body radiation treatment will rob the body strength and weaken the normal function. Excess radiation dosage will increase the new cancer formation. Instead, a systemmatic chemo regimen may be the right thing to do. Additionally, the alternative medication may relieve the discomfort suffered by the patient. Regardless how you handle it, it is a difficult situation. My sincere best wishes.

schoolteacher 06-03-2009 04:54 AM

Charlotte,

I am so sorry to hear about your niece. I will pray that she finds peace.

Amelia

Shobha 06-03-2009 08:31 AM

Charlotte,

I am praying hard for your niece. I pray that she will find the right team of doctors and the right combination of drugs to help heal her.

God bless you and your niece.

love,
shobha

WomanofSteel 06-03-2009 09:17 AM

I am very sorry about your niece. I definitely think a second opinion is a good idea. If anything it would give her the opportunity to meet with another doctor who may be more compassionate.

chrisy 06-03-2009 12:32 PM

hi Charlotte,
of course she is in shock and numb - that would be the case regardless of who the doctor is. That said, I think she probably does need to move quickly but that does not mean she doesn't have time to get another opinion. It is, as others have said, important to trust your "medical partners" and also to get input from a true expert in whatever type of cancer she's dealing with.

She may get the same treatment recommendation, but might be able to embark with greater confidence. Or she may find she has completely different options. Either way, a quality second opinion is definitely in order.

Sheila 06-03-2009 01:19 PM

Charlotte
I agree that it is important for her to be comfortable with her health care team....and it sounds like she needs to get another opinion rather quickly so treatment can begin. Is she anywhere near a larger cancer center that could offer more options? I will keep you both in my prayers....hoping they can find a treatment that will help her and be easy on her.

Believe51 06-03-2009 02:14 PM

Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear this news of your niece, this is a terrible blow. I have to agree with the girls in speaking of these second opinions. Her poor little head must be reeling and it is no wonder why she is numb, it is so much information to digest at once. I am saying prayers for you both as you go from Auntie to caregiver on her team. Stay strong and know that I will say prayers for you both. Again, I am so sorry Sweetie, I wish I could just give you a giant hug right now, please accept this cyberhug. Keeping you both in heart>>Believe51

charlotte 06-05-2009 03:50 AM

thanks to all who gave some sound advise. I will see my neice this week end.this place is so comforting to me when I get there. I will give ya'll an update when I know more have news..