HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My port is out! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56966)

hestko76 01-03-2013 04:45 PM

My port is out!

This am, I had my port taken out! I was only given a local to numb the area. I felt tugging and pressure, but no pain. Nearly a year ago, on January 5th, 2012 the port was placed. It was such a great feeling to close this year of treament....... 6 rounds of TCH, 33 radiation treatments, and 17 total herceptin infusions.

Now, I will only go to my oncologist every 3 months.

What a way to start 2013! I hope all of us have a wonderful new year....

starwishn2 01-03-2013 04:54 PM

Re: My port is out!

Congratulations!!! I can not wait until I am finished and my port can be removed. Have a great 2013!!

Jeri

Becky 01-03-2013 05:01 PM

Congratulations! A new year and a new you.

NEDenise 01-03-2013 06:27 PM

Yay!
What a great way to start the new year!!
All the best!
Denise

KDR 01-03-2013 06:30 PM

Oh, wow, congratulations! Almost a year to the day! This is my dream!
Happy New Year!

Karen

hestko76 01-03-2013 07:25 PM

Thank you all for your good wishes..... I sincerely hope and pray that you all will have great news in treatments, trials, scans, etc. in 2013. Her2 people are very special!

NanaJoni 01-03-2013 07:50 PM

A wonderful, free feeling....and a good way to start the new year. congrats.

karen z 01-03-2013 09:21 PM

What a great feeling. I remember it well.
Happy 2013!

Paula O 01-04-2013 05:09 AM

Wooohooo for you, Helen! Congrats for completeing your tratment plan!

My port will be out soon too in my doctor's office. Did you watch the procedure? How long did it take? Was there much bleeding?

I wonder why some doctors take them out under general anesthetic when it can be done under a local in the doctor's office. Maybe some people would be grossed out and rather be asleep. Do you guys figure it's equally safe either way?

Paula

hestko76 01-04-2013 07:44 AM

My port was taken out in an OR. There were 4 techs and 2 doctors in the room. I couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight. I questioned that.....since I was only to have a local?? IF the removal proved to be tricky..... catheter sticking.... breaking..... tissue around port was severely bleeding..... then they could immediately start a regular surgery.
My body was draped with a surgical cloth, so I saw nothing. It was a good thing I was not claustraphobic! Since U of Arizona is a teaching hospital, I heard the head surgeon "teaching" the resident how to do the procedure. I told them I watched a port removal on You Tube, and it seemed to go much quicker! There was more internal stitches put in than I thought there would be....
Good luck with your port removal!

Jackie07 01-04-2013 09:23 AM

Congratulations! Helen.

My port was removed at my oncologist's office in the hospital clinic. An intern (Resident?) did it under supervision. I believe only the area around the port was 'numbed' before the procedure because I saw the whole thing... (and asked to keep the port for souvenir... :)

SoCalGal 01-04-2013 11:01 AM

Congrats! It's a great way to start 2013!!

KsGal 01-04-2013 01:54 PM

Thats awesome! Congratulations...way to start a new chapter in the new year! :)

Pray 01-04-2013 05:49 PM

Happy new year and that it is! Gods blessings!

chekmark 01-05-2013 04:54 PM

Isn't funny how we remember those dates so well, day of dx, day of first chemo,day of last chemo. I wish I could forget some of those dates but they are stuck in my head. What a great accomplishment for you for the New Year. Cheers to many healthy years to you and everyone.

Joanne S 01-05-2013 10:34 PM

Congrats on completing your major milestones! I'm happy for you. Prayers for continued NED for you!

Deb33 01-08-2013 07:02 PM

That's wonderful. I LOVED getting rid of mine. Had my last Herceptin and walked to a docs office in the same building and had it removed with a local. She asked if I wanted to see it or take it home!!!!!!! No thank you.
Congratulations and Happy Happy New Year.

IrvineFriend 01-08-2013 07:16 PM

Congrats and you give me hope as mine goes in on Friday. So this time next year, I hope to be sending the same message.

Do you do anything special to celebrate these milestones?

caya 01-08-2013 10:04 PM

Congrats Helen - getting that port out is a big milestone, and a great way to start 2013!

all the best
caya

hestko76 01-09-2013 06:58 AM

Yes, we did celebrate milestones. After chemo was done, we went to San Antonio, TX River walk. To celebrate the end of radiation, we went to Las Vegas. To celebrate the last herceptin, we celebrated Christmas with family. I also had lots of people praying for me, and God is in my heart.....
You will do fine..... be positive, keep reading.... knowledge is POWER!