HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Shall We All Go To Pot? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31212)

MJo 11-20-2007 01:56 PM

Shall We All Go To Pot?

<TABLE class=lt14 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=lt14>

From several news reports...
A compound found in cannabis known as CBD may prevent breast cancer spreading to other parts of the body and be a realistic alternative to chemotherapy, scientists believe. However, the study carried out by the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute does not advocate marijuana use among cancer patients. It said it was unlikely that the right concentrations of CBD could be achieved through smoking cannabis. CBD fights the disease by stopping the activity of a gene called Id-1, which is believed to be responsible for the spread of cancer cells from the site of the original tumor -- a process known as metastasis. The study found CBD had this affect on breast cancer cells in a laboratory.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PinkGirl 11-20-2007 02:12 PM

Pot

That would be one way to keep
us all happy and smiling :)

Might even make the MRI's easier !

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-20-2007 02:17 PM

No Smoking Allowed...

Rather than smoke it, which my lungs and I am opposed to, we could -- MAKE BROWNIES. Even more fun!

Does increase appetite though... Which is a big plus for some. Not me, unfortunately.

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/thghts/smile

PinkGirl 11-20-2007 02:28 PM

the munchies

Andi,
I was just thinking about that - the increased appetite.
The bag of Oreos was always the first to go (that's what
I've been told :) )

lilyecuadorian 11-20-2007 03:48 PM

I hope my daugther dosent whach this news .(she is 17 year old ) ...so manys will take this like a excuse ...like me when I was in my 20's

hutchibk 11-20-2007 11:46 PM

No thanks. I enjoy having brain cells.

Jade 11-21-2007 06:49 AM

If you care about your brain cells, then don't drink alcohol either

Alcohol is a Class 1 drug (yup, together with cocaine and heroin) in terms of damage to individuals and society. Marijuana is No. 9 on this list, No. 10 being the least harmful. This won't be popular with the many "responsible" people who would never touch drugs (but who drink regularly), but the truth is, whether you want to admit it or not, alcohol is the enemy, not pot. Unlike alcohol, pot does not make people violent or unable to remember what they did while under the influence. This is a fact. Alcohol kills brain cells by depleting the brain of oxygen which causes massive brain cell destruction. So, if you don't want brain cell death, you're going to have to give up your daily tipple as well!!!

I suppose there's always tea (of course with no sugar as sugar feeds cancer cells). Gee, life's sounding like more fun all the time!

Cyber hugs,
Jade

Verna 11-21-2007 07:10 AM

Lets see....hmmmmm pot killing brain cells or chemo killing brain cells?

Brownies are sounding pretty good right now.

Have a nice Thanksgiving all you wonderful ladies!

kimber 11-21-2007 08:03 AM

I am up for the brownies!

Happy Thanksgiving girls!!

MJo 11-21-2007 08:03 AM

Sorry ladies, but apparently they refine the marijuana it and give the drug to you intravenously. It has absolutely no "mood enhancement" effect.
If this turns out to be an effective drug, I can't imagine how they will protect the acres of marijuana for medicinal use from poachers.

hutchibk 11-21-2007 01:32 PM

"This won't be popular with the many "responsible" people who would never touch drugs (but who drink regularly), but the truth is, whether you want to admit it or not, alcohol is the enemy, not pot."

Just curious, and not to be sarcastic or confrontational, but is there something wrong with being responsible that it needs to be in "quotations"?

I have worked many years in my life with alcohol abusers, pot abusers and drug abusers. The damage to brain cells is interchangeable in my experience. Is it possible that they are all the enemy when abused? JMHO.

jones7676 11-21-2007 02:04 PM

The only thing that I am afraid of is that this possibly wonderful treatment option will not be available because our powerful and rich conservative left won't allow it. I would be very happy to receive this therapy tomorrow (given my diagnosis) - whether through IV, brownies or any other way they can find to deliver it to me. I will be watching closely to see how the government, researchers, pharm companies etc. handle this because hemp is the source.

Jade 11-21-2007 02:26 PM

Hi Brenda,

No, of course being responsible is a great thing! But being a hypocrite is a bad thing. That's what the quotes were about but it didn't translate on paper. No offence, you are clearly a bright woman and I've always enjoyed your posts. What I meant was those people who consider themselves to be responsible citizens, scornful of those who use marijuana, while they get into their vehicles after a couple of glasses of wine and think nothing of driving their kids somewhere.
I absolutely agree with you that drugs and alcohol are all the enemy when abused, but my point was that when you compare the overall cost to our society, alcohol is a much larger issue than marijuana.
Now there's a new one for me.... What does JMHO mean?
Respectfully,
Jade

hutchibk 11-21-2007 03:31 PM

Just my humble opinion...JMHO.

Thanks for the clarification Jade. Yes, being a hypocrite is a bad thing. I agree!! Personally, I'm not a hypocrite in this regard (perhaps in other regards, but I hope not...). I'm not a fan of illicit drug use, alcohol abuse or wasted drivers of any kind. (family member almost killed by extremely high and drunk driver several years ago). That's what works for me and my value system. I have friends who smoke pot and drink more than they should. At least they don't do it around me. I don't dislike them or judge them, I do worry about them, but I don't feel terribly sorry for them if it causes legal, health or relationship problems in their lives.

But, I digress and that is not the focus of this thread...

Let's get back to Mjo's original post!

fullofbeans 11-22-2007 04:59 PM

Hi I have read a lot of good for THC against cancer spread indeed. Unfortunatly the research seemed slowed down by narrow minded attitude and by the fact that the real stuff was always better that what they could synthesised and therefore financially not viable (!)+the high effect was unacceptable...but from what this post seems to imply it may have changed..Yes I always found crazy that putting people through chemo is seen more socially acceptable than having people on a high..strange world we live in wouldn't you say?

MJo I could not find the research you mentioned would you have a link please? Thanks

Chelee 11-22-2007 06:28 PM

Fullofbeans, Here's a link that covers it.

http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-...195837-31.html

Hope it works?

Chelee

fauxgypsy 11-23-2007 09:12 AM

I think as a society, we are a little bit hypocritical. Alcohol is legal, in spite of all the problems it causes. Marijuana is bad, it spite of the fact that there are proven medical uses of marijuana. Our reponse in fact as a people, is not backed up by this. I would suggest that it is very similar to the time of prohibition, when alcohol was made illegal, thus fueling the crime syndicates who found a way to provide it. I don't drink often. I don't at this point in my life, smoke anything. I have never smoked cigarettes and I have seen much more damage from cigarettes than pot. Any drug can be abused: an example would be caffeine. People take huge amounts to stay awake while driving long distances. It really bothers me that researchers are hindered in their efforts to develop medicines that could help many people because of concerns that are fueled more by propaganda that facts. By the way, the University of Mississippi has a legal marijuana field for the purpose of research.

Leslie