HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Getting gamma'd (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32523)

SoCalGal 02-06-2008 08:18 PM

Getting gamma'd

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS A RE-POST FROM 2008 - PLEASE SEE TODAY'S UPDATE :-)

I am getting gamma'd on Friday. Met with the neurosurgeon today. I liked him a lot and felt much calmer after meeting him. He works under Keith Black (who only sees cash cases now). I am seeing Dr. Ray Chu. He walked me thru the procedure and I told him I would try my best not to be a pain in the as*. He seemed to have a good sense of humor which is good because - well you know how important laughter is to me. He also seemed very compassionate. And extremely competent. He has done hundreds of gammas and has been in charge of training others since they acquired their gamma knife in 2004. Or something like that - it's hard to listen when your heart is pounding in your ears. I'm ignoring the fact that he's perhaps 30 years old. I guess it's a young technology so a young doctor is a good match. At least he didn't make any comments comparing me to his mother. That always hurts the ego:). In fact when I said I was going to a spa on Saturday he offered to carry my bags so maybe he was hitting on me? Okay - there's your proof that I have no brain. Oy...

Seriously - I just keep thinking that somehow this will all be okay and I will be okay. After all- I was raised by a woman who spent a year in an iron lung during the polio epidemic. My mom was only 12 at the time she was stricken with polio.

If she could do a year in an iron lung- on the polio ward- in isolation - then I can do a day in a halo at Cedars with my girl husband and my boy friend.

I know several of you have been gamma'd and lived to tell the tale. If you have any tips let me know. Otherwise a prayer or two my way on Friday would be appreciated.

Lots of love...
Flori

Bill 02-06-2008 08:31 PM

Hi Flori!,,,,,, thinking of you and praying for you. You are such a strong woman, I know you can handle anything thrown your way. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Love,, Bill

caya 02-06-2008 09:15 PM

Flori,

I will be sending positive thoughts and many prayers your way on Friday.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

all the best
caya

Jean 02-06-2008 09:35 PM

Done....

Flori,

May the Lords healing hand touch you and bring you health in body and spirit.

Will be keeping you in my prayers "especially on Friday"
Keep the faith and keep that beautiful humor.

Sending Hugs,
Jean

Chelee 02-07-2008 01:56 AM

Flori, I don't have any tips for you...but I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad to see you still have a great sense of humor while you have a full plate at the moment. I just had to laugh about your comment with the surgeon picking up on you and its proof you have no brains. (You are so funny!) :) I choose to believe he WAS hitting on you. (You go girl.) lol

May this all be a distant memory before you know it. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. You hang in there...we will all be thinking of you on Friday.

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX 02-07-2008 06:00 AM

Flori!!! He'd better be real young, cause you're gonna live real long! ma

Believe51 02-07-2008 06:27 AM

Flori...

Your post sent shivers down my spine hearing the spirit and fight in your voice. What great example Mother has been to you and a blessing to be raised by such a Warrior!! Prayers are always sent to you Dear Flori and your name sounds sweet rolling off the tongue when I do. Friday will be full of prayers and positive thoughts sent to you by many others here too that have grown to know and love you. Before I go I must mention what a great example of a Warrior Flori is to me and how she has brought to my family peace, hope, courage and love. Ed and I love you Flori. Best of luck My Friend. Try to focus on something pleasant that you will do for yourself when you are done. And Flori, remember that we will be there in heart while you are there. WHAT TIME ARE YOU GOING TO BE THERE????>>Believe51

PS: You really did not need to provide proof that you have lost your mind. Oy...LOL and smiling!! Love>>Marie

PinkGirl 02-07-2008 08:15 AM

Hi Flori
You always make me laugh ... I am sure the young
gamma surgeon was hitting on you ... why not?

Keep on believing that everything will be okay and
that you will be fine. That's what I'm doing.

I will definitely be thinking about you and sending
extra good vibes on Friday. I know that you have
the strength to get through this.

Faith in Him 02-07-2008 10:24 AM

Flori,

I be praying for you on Friday. Your spirit will get you through this.

Tonya

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-07-2008 01:31 PM

Friday is Gamma Day. Okay. Gamma doc sounds perfect for the job.

A day in a halo at Cedars w/your girl husb and your boy friend. Followed by a day at the Spa. Well thought out strategy, Morning Glory! THAT'S what I call a plan!

My prayers are speeding your way as I type. And they'll be w/you all day Fri -- from 6:30 AM your time (9:30 AM in my world). I am picturing you surrounded by a radiant white light. An aura of healing! Close your eyes and see your chakras appear in technicolor! I think purple is for healing. Maybe gold. Go for both.

Giant hugs enwrap you, my sweet Sister Flori! Blessings on your head...
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

StephN 02-07-2008 02:47 PM

Just DO it!

Dear Flori -
My Gamma Knife was quite tolerable and successful. I was allowed to wear my own clothes and chose some comfortable and soft burgundy velvet sweats. Bring slippers.

They should let you bring in your own music (CDs) to hear during the procedure. The machine is totally silent and there is NO other noise. So bring tunes that make you feel relaxed and encourages healing energy.

The neurosurgeon will deaden the spots where the halo attaches. This was the only bit of pain I had during the whole thing. You can also eat, no fasting. So make sure someone gets you some tea, a smoothie, banana bread or applesauce. My jaw movement was restricted by the type of head frame they used.

They will do a quick CT just to confirm that there is nothing else to deal with. I got a print out and explanation at the end of the procedure.

You will not feel the beams being blasted through to the tumors. But you can think of their killing action on the tumors.

I know your fighting spirit will be high, and these tumors will be zapped into smithereens.

chrisy 02-07-2008 03:34 PM

Flori

I was so glad to see your post; I've been wondering what you had decided. Your young extremely competent doc sounds marvelous, and since I've seen your picture, I agree he was probably hitting on you! I'm claiming for you a smooth, easy and SUCCESSFUL procedure. What a world, when you can walk in with a tumor in your brain, walk out the same day and then be at a spa the next day!

Probably a good thing that the doctor is young and grew up with video games more advanced than pong and pac man. I'm sure he has excellent eye/hand coordination!

Be thinking of you Friday - and envying you Saturday.

Much much much love and many prayers,
Chris

StephN 02-07-2008 04:16 PM

Computer driven program

Just wanted to clarify that the Gamma Knife machine is run by a very sophisticated computer program. You will have several experts on the team. Even a physicist. They will put in your treatment plan and the computer does the rest.

This why the Gamma Knife will be accurate to within 1 millimeter of the treatment area. They will go just a bit outside the tumor bed, but that should all be explained.

No healthy brain tissue should be affected by this procedure.

Lolly 02-07-2008 05:24 PM

Flori, I know you're going to do fine, and with all the good wishes and Steph's expert advice some of those butterflies should be settling down. Just want to add, May The Force Be With You :)

<3 Lolly

Mary Jo 02-07-2008 07:25 PM

Hi Flori,

Sending prayers and encouragement for Friday. All will be well.

Love & Peace,

Mary Jo

Becky 02-07-2008 07:48 PM

Well, you are bringing a new meaning to TGIF but after that, its the weekend!! And everybody will be partying except the tumor - who won't know what hit it.

I will be thinking about you. It will go just fine and then it will be done with.

Love to you and a big hug too.

Vanessa 02-07-2008 07:55 PM

I will be thinking of you tomorrow as you have your procedure. Lots of prayers coming your way. Good luck.

chrisy 02-07-2008 09:53 PM

Well Steph, computer guided is much better!

Flori, did I remember to say how much I love you and am praying for you? You'll do great I'm sure!

SoCalGal 02-07-2008 11:47 PM

Thank you Steph - I really appreciate the details. If you can do it I can do it. I will bring some CD's and also food. The radiation oncologist was less enthusiastic about my get-a-way so maybe we'll just stay closer to home this weekend and spa in 2 weeks.

I am going to do this with some dignity - because I am going to visualize all of you whom I admire greatly. We go through things that "regular" people just wouldn't understand. Crazy-risky things to try to snap some sense into our cells.

You are so right Chris - walk in with a tumor and walk out without one. It is a miracle of modern medicine.

Love you guys. Truly.

Hope to post late tomorrow.

Gamma Gracie

StephN 02-08-2008 12:00 AM

Dear Flori -
I bet you can keep your spa date.
For me I was out driving around the very next day! Had slight headache in the morning, but with a couple of Tylenol I was fit to go.

The relief after the procedure was really a LIFT for me. The Dreaded Decadron had not really kicked in yet to give my body the fits it did for about three weeks till I weaned off of it. So, if you have to take that stuff, go on your spa trip while you are not feeling those crappy effects.

All best healing energy coming your way!