HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Prophylactic Mastectomy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61624)

MaineRottweilers 08-10-2014 05:29 PM

Prophylactic Mastectomy

I scheduled it! August 19th I will have my port removed along with my right breast. I am really looking forward to being flat and balanced and free from that darned port!

I soul searched long and hard over have the prophy mastectomy. I made my decision and asked God to confirm my choice. On Friday I started having breast pain. It started as a dull ache (like pre menstrual) and evolved throughout the day to PAINFUL, hot feverish and slightly swollen on the underside. That's a clear enough confirmation for me. This troublesome lump of flesh just has to go.

My dilemma is this: do I wait it out and let my surgeon know the morning of surgery or do I call tomorrow to let him know that I am experiencing breast pain and may be harboring an infection or some such?

hestko76 08-10-2014 06:27 PM

Re: Prophylactic Mastectomy

I would call and tell the surgeon's nurse about your symptoms. He might want you on antibiotics for the next week. But, it's your decision! Good luck with the surgery.

Nurse4u2day 08-10-2014 10:54 PM

Absolutely call not only your surgeon but your Oncologist !
I had a bmx at my Dx , never really thought twice about it and no regrets ether

LizzElliot 08-11-2014 08:38 AM

only because of IBC, I would definitely let Onc or Surgeon know. Especially if it's same or worsening. Best to be sure. :)
I'll be behind you with bi-lat 2nd week in September.
And I'm also a Hashimotos! lol. been in that for 13 years now. :)
Lizz.

Adriana Mangus 08-12-2014 03:47 PM

Hi,

Would definitely talk to a doctor before proceeding with surgery. If you are having an infection anywhere in your body it would only get worse due to the sedation and recovery post surgery.

Is it possible you have fibrosis? I have had pain mostly in my right breast, - the affected side- - for ever, was told by primary physician it was due to fibrosis, I agree with her, and have no concerns with it any longer.

No mastectomy here, but statistics shows that it does not significantly reduces the possibility of a recurrence. I trusted my doctors, back in 1994 the surgeon talk with me about all the risks associated with breast cancer, and decided to keep my breast. No regreets, even though I recurred in 2003, my quality of life has been great and have no complains-- grateful to be here- - thank you Dr. Slamon.

Best of luck,

Adriana

MaineRottweilers 08-12-2014 05:45 PM

I have an appt tomorrow. Pain is still there but significantly lessened. Swelling and discoloration are much better too. He still wants to see it before we proceed.