HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   COBRA running out--what's next? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47021)

Cal-Gal 10-03-2010 08:45 PM

COBRA running out--what's next?

Hello Ladies,

I live in California.

I have been on COBRA for 16 months--Still looking for a job--but it has been slooowww---

I have heard that I can extend the COBRA past the 18 months?

Is that correct? and if so does it cover pre-exisiting?

Thanks so much---any links or info you have would be appreciated.

Big Hugs

Jackie07 10-04-2010 03:23 AM

Re: COBRA running out--what's next?

Cal-Gal,

I'm in Texas, so I don't know if things are different in California.

Before my COBRA had run out, I contacted the insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas) and learned that there's a 6-month extension available after COBRA before I had to use Texas Risk Pool. So I did the 6 month extension and then proceeded to get on Texas Risk Pool which has also been contracted out to BCBS. (Almost had a mishap because we did not realize it would take at least 4 weeks to process the application. After several phone calls, we got our application approved on the 21st - just before the cut-off date of the new regulation. I don't really understand/remember what it means, but we are covered...)

Because I have qualified for DI, I will be eligible for Medicare next January. (I think we have received the Medicare card already [?])The Medicare Supplemental Insurance provided by the big hospital in town won't have its new 'schedule' available until Oct. 15, so we have to wait for that before deciding what supplemental insurance we will pick (can afford.)

I'm getting blood drawn tomorrow and will have an annual MRI for my brain tumor(s) a week later. Everything seems to have doubled its cost since earlier this year, I've quit trying to figure out how much increase we've experienced.

The 'Omega-3 fish oil' experiment kept me wide awake...

Darlene Denise 10-04-2010 06:26 AM

There is an 11 month extension available if you are on SSDI. There are some specific time lines that must be followed in regard to notification of the plan administrator.

Also check with them to see if there is conversion to an individal plan available. With HIPPA it would not impose pre-existing clause if you have completed your Cobra and have not let time elapse. Check with your current plan and perhaps a reputable Health Insurance broker.

Cal-Gal 10-04-2010 09:29 AM

Thanks Ladies-

Not on SSDI or DI--

Good luck Jackie!!!

If there is anyone else out there in CA that has had same issue let me know--I will call insurance Co today---

Cal-Gal 10-04-2010 11:26 AM

I was told to call my health care provider--Aetna for the information on something called : CAL COBRA---which I will be eligible for, for another 18months---

My COBRA is $560 a month---no telling what that will be--I have heard that it will be double what I am paying now--yikes--

Hugs to all--