HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Water retention on Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30068)

KCC 09-18-2007 09:08 AM

Water retention on Herceptin

Does anyone else retain water while on Herceptin? I had my first treatment on Friday and within three days, I gained five pounds. I am very swollen, especially in my stomach. Are there certain foods that I can eat that will releive me of some of this retention? Thanks

cafe1084 10-10-2007 05:38 PM

i take an extra 2 fiber capsules with my increased roughage intake. it helps ( some) until you try to stop the capsules, then I'm bloaty again. I've read that others have this problem and doesn't resolve until tx completes, but then it drops off fairly quickly. I find that if my stomach becomes empty, i don't get hunger pangs, but actual nausea and pain. Makes weight loss hard...wish I knew the secret, but if you find it, please share!

Grace 10-11-2007 05:02 PM

My feet and ankles were enormous while I was on herceptin. They're back to normal now, so I do think water retention is comment, at least with some women.

Mgarr 10-11-2007 05:23 PM

This happened to me every treatment. It lasted 3-5 days and I just kept drinking my water flushing it through. Good Luck

Mary

dhealey 10-12-2007 04:00 AM

This happens to me also for about 3-5 days after treatment. I drink lots of water and stay away from anything with salt in it. I have not gained any weight during treatment, I lost about 25 lbs during chemo and still have alot of nausea and reflux. Hoping this goes away in Jan. when I finish my herceptin treatments.

caya 10-12-2007 06:18 AM

Count me in on the water retention. For me it is mostly in my left leg and ankle. I've had 2 leg ultrasounds to make sure it's not a blood clot (it isn't), just yesterday at my Herceptin infusion the onc. and I discussed this as a side effect, nothing to worry about ... but YUCH, I hate the way it looks.
I take a diuretic to help.

all the best
caya

DogLover 03-13-2014 07:24 PM

Re: Water retention on Herceptin

I have a lot of fluid retention. I have swelling in my hands, wrists, face, and my ankles are huge! My eyes are watery because my doctor says the swelling is causing my tear ducts to close. My doctor told me the swelling was due to the Taxotere, but now I am concerned that it may also be from the Herceptin. I finished the Taxotere 4 weeks ago but will be on the Herceptin until October.

mjm 03-19-2014 03:09 AM

Mum's onc recommended eating watermelon for the fluid retention (something to do with electrolyte balance I think?). Seems to help, not that we've got anything to compare to as she started this in round 1.

Smoky 03-20-2014 12:20 PM

I've had lots of challenges with swelling, especially in my feet. One doc says it's the taxotere & will take months to go away completely, but the herceptin seems to cause a 5 lb gain every 3 weeks, then diuretics to get it off before the next round.

Carol Ann 04-01-2014 02:07 PM

I just had my first Herceptin only infusion yesterday and I'm bloated up like a hoptoad today too ... I have Barney Rubble feet for sure. :( Watermelon isn't in season/available yet, I'll keep drinking lots of water and see if that helps.

Thanks for this thread!

Carol Ann

jaykay 04-01-2014 04:35 PM

I've been finished Herceptin since last October and it didn't make me retain fluid any more or less than I normally do. I take 20mg of Lasix a couple of times a week - when my watch gets tight. I am prone to fluid retention and as long as I have my Lasix - it stays under control.

DogLover 04-24-2014 07:05 PM

My medical oncologist says the swelling is from the taxotere. However, my last taxotere was 2/10/14 and I am still swollen. I am continuing to get Herceptin every 3 weeks and I think it must be contributing to my water retention. I am puffy everywhere! Wrists, arms, feet, ankles. legs, face... I will be happy when this resolves.

Carol Ann 04-24-2014 07:11 PM

Hi Doglover, my onc put me on 20 mg of Lasix and potassium for 30 days and it is helping the swelling a lot. He also said it was from after effects of the taxotere.

HerSheY 04-24-2014 09:35 PM

I had water retention too about 4-5 days after tx and it gets better in 2-3 weeks. I've avoided taking the lasix because I am always abnormally low in magnesium and potassium.

jaykay 04-25-2014 11:51 AM

There are potassium-sparing diuretics - dyazide (spelling?). Blood pressure is affected (can go higher) when you retain fluid

Smoky 04-25-2014 02:24 PM

It's taken 4+ months for me to get rid of the swelling. The Lasix worked well for me, staying away from salt, and restricting my fluids. The Herceptin alone does not cause any swelling, just major fatigue for 5 days.

JDee 04-25-2014 04:22 PM

I am on Taxol/Herceptin low dose. Up to #5 and no fluid retention so far.

Dee

linzi 06-23-2014 01:56 PM

Hi, Ladies:
I got swollen with each chemo, and every time it got worse. ONC said it was Taxotere. But I had my first Herceptin only infusion 5 days ago, my swollen started from day 1 and getting worse. I'm taking 2 pills of Lasix (20 mg each), and the swollen is not under control. Called ONC today, he said I may have to take steroid to get rid of the water. How did you solve this water problem when it got worse? Anyone used steroid or higher dose of Lasix? Which one has less damage? Thanks!

linzi 06-23-2014 04:14 PM

Also, did your swollen get better or worse with each Herceptin only infusion?

jaykay 06-23-2014 07:34 PM

I really didn't have much fluid retention from herceptin only. For me, it was the taxotere. That being said, I had leftover fluid retention from taxotere for about 6 weeks after the last one. Took 40mg of lasix. Still take 20 mg a couple of times a week since I now seem to be susceptible to swollen legs. Ah, the joys of enduring side effects (not!)