HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Feel like a mac truck ran over me (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57442)

Redwolf8812 02-25-2013 05:17 PM

Feel like a mac truck ran over me

Had taxotere with a loading dose of herceptin last Wednesday. I have severe flu-like symptoms that are debilitating. Also facial acne! This treatment is every 3 weeks. Praying these side effects wear off soon.

- Penny

Penny
http://www.carepages.com/carepages/PennyKnowles
July 2010 IDC grade 3 stage 3 er-/pr-/her2+++, BRCA2
Skin mets 11/10
1/12/11 Surgery path - complete response
Rads 2/11-4/11
Liver mets 11/11 now stage IV
Xeloda & Tykerb 12/11
Allergic reaction to Tykerb 12/11
Xeloda only 12/11
Added herceptin January 2012
Progression February 2012.
Started Veliparib (parp inhibitor) trial 3/5/12.
4/30/12 Liver met shrunk in half! Praise Jesus!
6/18/12 another 25% shrinkage, down to @3x3. Thank you, God!
8/8/12 Brain MRI - clear! Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
8/27/12 Thank You, God - another 20% decrease in liver met! Now @ 3.2x1.9.
10/5/12 stable-ish
11/21/12 allergic reaction to carboplatin
12/10/12 stable & progression
12/31/12 liver ablation
2/6/13 ablation successful but new tiny mets in liver.
Another ablation scheduled 2/28/13. Cancelled.

chrisy 02-25-2013 06:21 PM

Re: Feel like a mac truck ran over me

Loading doses are , for me, more intense so I hope that will be easier next time. Also, remember that you've been on a bit of a chemo holiday-so it s a rude shock to hit it with taxotere.

Make sure you report this to your team, maybe they can helped be sure to put them on alert you might be having an allergic reaction.

sarah 02-26-2013 01:20 AM

yes definitely mentioned these side effects. I was put on Taxol weekly because my onc wasn't sure I could handle the every 3 weeks dose. I was very tired and had some skin problems but it seemed relatively supportable so maybe that's an idea also unless you live too far away.
here we're entitled to have a taxi take us to chemo although my husband alway took me, I didn't want to add to the cost of my health care on the system.
Did they give you a list of the potential side effects? here they give out one but it would be in French but I'll see if I can get it if you'd like to see it.
take care, as you know, chemo does end
hugs and love
sarah

NEDenise 02-26-2013 06:45 AM

Penny,
Those taxanes are the worst! I hope I never, ever have to endure that again, and I'm so sorry that you're suffering with it now!

I would definitely follow the advice above and let your team know how you're feeling. And I'd do it now, while you're feeling it. If you wait, you may not be able to report as accurately...and why not get relief ASAP if any is available?

Lifting you, and your aching mind and body in prayer, my friend...
Try to rest,
Denise

tricia keegan 02-26-2013 03:19 PM

Hope you feel better soon Penny, would one of the other taxane's be easier on you I wonder??

yanyan 02-26-2013 06:03 PM

Hope you feel better ! If taxotere is too hard on you, maybe taxol instead?

Pamelamary 02-26-2013 07:02 PM

Sorry to hear this Penny, but maybe your body will settle down in due course. Speak to your doctors, but also accept that certain times during the 3 week cycle may need to be devoted to looking after yourself and getting plenty of rest.
Best wishes.... Pam

KsGal 02-27-2013 03:12 AM

I agree that the loading dose is harder on you. Im so sorry that you are feeling so bad. Hopefully the side effects get manageable after the first few days. My worst days on taxotere were the first five, and then things started to level out a bit. Lots of prayers for you...((hugs))

NEDenise 02-27-2013 07:30 AM

Penny,
How are you feeling? Any relief yet?
Still praying...
Denise

chrislmelb 04-06-2013 02:33 AM

Penny it could have also been the Herceptin. When i had my loading dose the second time around i really reacted with what could be called flu like symptoms. I also had the sorest neck. I had had Herceptin for 2 years previously and never had any reaction.

Ellie F 04-06-2013 03:29 AM

Hi Penny
Remember it well. I think this combo with a loading dose of herceptin is very hard to to,erate. Ppl told me AC was the hardest but for me it was taxotere. It also made me feel very down and I had such bad rib pain I was convinced I have bone mets. I am sorry you are suffering and hope and pray this combo will get you to NED.
Hugs and prayers
Ellie

Catherine 04-08-2013 08:11 PM

Penny, My treatment was 6 years ago, but I do remember that Taxol was the hardest for me. Do check in with your doctors or the chemo nurse and see if they have something you can take to lessen the pain. I remember I could barely stand up and cried when I did. They called me in some drugs and that helped. Hope you are getting better as I type.

Hugs,

starwishn2 04-08-2013 08:27 PM

I'm so sorry! Taxotere is so harsh. I hope you feel better soon and that your next treatment is easier on you~

Best wishes~
Jeri

IrvineFriend 04-08-2013 09:12 PM

I take Tramadol a few days when the pain really hits because I work full-time and get cranky when I'm hurting. I do this for my co-workers as much as I do for myself!