HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How to be Annoying (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48440)

Colleens_Husband 01-17-2011 08:49 PM

How to be Annoying

AS IF THIS REALLY NEEDS TO BE PUT IN PRINT. IF YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS IT IS REALLY ANNOYING. IT IS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING AT SOMEONE OR YOU ARE VERY ANGRY. IT IS ESPECIALLY ANNOYING WHEN YOU REALIZE THE 'caps lock' KEY IS A MERE 5/16th OF AN INCH AWAY FROM THE 'shift' KEY. IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO MOVE YOUR PINKY FINGER THAT 5/16ths OF AN INCH ON A RARE OCCASION? EVEN IF YOU NEVER USE A CAPITAL LETTER, IT IS STILL BETTER THAN ALL CAPS. I'M JUST SAYING ........

Colleens_Husband 01-17-2011 08:53 PM

Re: How to be Annoying

How about typing in a color that is nearly unreadable. This is particularly annoying because you have to make a special effort to choose the annoying color. It is, however a real cool secret code to prevent those people who are bi-chromatic color blind from being included. Someone who is just annoying. like myself. The joke is on me, I cannot read this post.

Colleens_Husband 01-17-2011 08:59 PM

If you go to a restaurant, order a salad. When the waitress asks you what kind of salad dressing you would like, ask "Do you have honey mustard salad dressing?" The waitress will then say, "Yes we do! (See, I used an exclamation point because you still haven't crushed the waitress' spirit ......... yet.) "So you want a salad with honey mustard salad dressing?"

You answer, "No!!!!! I hate that stuff!!! Give me the ranch dressing."

That is pretty annoying.

Colleens_Husband 01-17-2011 09:08 PM

Did you know that if you type in all caps, the posting software will change it to initial caps automatically? That means I had to type the first post several times to defeat the 'Politinator' function of this software. How annoying is that?

Jackie07 01-17-2011 10:51 PM

Are you OK, Lee?

Uncontrolled mumbling to oneself is a sign of... ? :)

I figured out long ago that most of the e-mails in CAPITALS are spams originated from some 'Third World' countries. The exceptions are the ones from one of my junior high buddies - haven't heard from him for quite a while. Light colored print hurts our eyes and one wonders about the sender's intention.

One thing you might want to try is to type everything in your 'Word' and then copy and paste it. You should have seen me struggling with my Chinese fonts when corresponding with my friends and relatives. The 'program' fights my 'intention' like crazy (keeps giving me the wrong suggestions or just won't allow me to use the word I'd chosen because it's either at the bottom of the frequency-of-usage rank or non-exist. :)

Jackie07 01-17-2011 11:09 PM

Perhaps it's only annoying when 'pink' is used?

One wonders why 'green' (and not 'pink') is used in the rhetoric described below (certainly those smart guys did not foresee the 'green' movement...:)

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/ling003.html

StephN 01-17-2011 11:30 PM

All caps is NOT working...

StephN 01-17-2011 11:33 PM

Saying "I'm just saying" is annoying to me.
Othewise there would be NO message.

Colleens_Husband 01-18-2011 08:53 AM

Steph:

You are so correct about the 'I'm just saying' thing. It is designed to leave the writer blameless of the snarky comments that were previously expressed. I use it for the comedy value, in that I have never been able to duck blame for insensitive things I say. For some reason people expect more from me and that is truly annoying.

It is like opening a statement with "In all due respect...". Whatever follows that opening is almost never respectful. Whenever I hear, "Lee, with all due respect.....", I start evasive maneuvers and prepare to duck and cover.

PinkGirl 01-18-2011 09:32 AM

I get annoyed when someone types 'your' instead of 'you're' and I get even more annoyed (annoyeder) when someone types 'should of' instead of 'should have'. I am not the least bit annoyed by 'I'm just saying' ... I find it very forgiving ... I'm just saying ...

I don't like being YELLED at ...

NanaJoni 01-18-2011 04:36 PM

Like, you know.

Mary L 01-18-2011 04:58 PM

IN ALL DUE RESPECT!!!!!!! Mary L

Bill 01-18-2011 06:37 PM

In the grand scheme of things, it's a minor thing, but I get irritated when the person in the checkout line at the grocery store ahead of me doesn't put down that plastic stick divider bar thing that's supposed to go between their groceries and mine. I'm a patient man, a very patient man, so I wait, but once that conveyor slides forward, and a space is created, it should be the obligation of all civilized creatures to reach out and grab that damn plastic "thing" and place it between my stuff and yours. Once that space appears, and the person ahead of me does nothing, and refuses to make eye contact with me, I patiently count to 6 and a half and reach over myself, which I really shouldn't have to do, and grab that damn stick and slap it down hard enough to be heard all around town. At that point, there's plenty of eye contact, but I get my point across. And when someone gets in line behind me, I throw that stick down as soon as they have room to lay a carrot down, and say, "there you go, lass, that'll get you started". Maybe I didn't really get the point of Lee's thread.....after re-reading this post, it seems like I'm the annoying guy.....I just wanted to contribute to Lee's thread and add a little grease to the wheels of society....

StephN 01-19-2011 12:41 PM

Q: Would you like any more (fill in the blank)?? And numerous other questions.

A: I'm good.

What does that mean? That you were BAD a while ago? Why can't people just go back to using REAL answers instead of "I'm good" to every question?

Like "No, thank you." Or "I have enough." Or "Check with me later."

American English is becoming a LAZY language.

DiDi70 01-19-2011 02:13 PM

What absolutely drives me crazy is the proliferation of the word "veggies"; I can't escape it! It's everywhere! Whatever happened to the word "vegetables"?

DiDi70 01-19-2011 02:16 PM

Oh, and while I am ranting, here's another of my personal and unsolicited opinions on what's annoying:

Jazz music in restaurants. Nothing but jazz.......I am unfortunate because I cannot appreciate the horns in jazz no matter how hard I try. I have had to leave stores and restaurants as the jazz horns give me a headache and a sense of disquiet. Odd, but it's my reality.

DiDi70 01-19-2011 02:18 PM

Okay, okay; one last rant today:

The automatic addition of a 15% gratuity to the bill of groups comprised of more than 10 people.

PinkGirl 01-19-2011 04:21 PM

Vegetables annoy me. I eat enough of them to stay alive. I will eat lots of vegetables in my next life.... maybe ... I'm just saying.

imdavidson 01-19-2011 04:50 PM

What annoys me is never being able to remember if there are two "Cs" and one "S," or one "C" and two "Ss" in the word, "occasionally."

Jackie07 01-19-2011 08:12 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling

http://obsbite.blogspot.com/2010/06/grocery-store-etiquette-gaffe-on-aisle.html

[Just trying to practise the ultimate form of 'How to be annoying'. :)]