HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Clinical Trials (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vaccine "cures" Her2 in mice (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49815)

Cure4Cat 04-29-2011 03:12 PM

Vaccine "cures" Her2 in mice

Has anybody heard anything about this? It is from 2008.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0915083343.htm

It seems like an excellent result. Does anybody know why it is not moving forward. It is sad to see a potential cure stalled.

Thanks,

Cat

Jackie07 04-29-2011 11:29 PM

Re: Vaccine "cures" Her2 in mice

Below is the abstract of the most recent paper involoving Dr. Wei-zen Wei and the Her2 vaccine:

Cancer Res. 2010 Oct 1;70(19):7431-41. Epub 2010 Sep 7.
Antibody-dependent natural killer cell-mediated cytotoxicity engendered by a kinase-inactive human HER2 adenovirus-based vaccination mediates resistance to breast tumors.

Triulzi C, Vertuani S, Curcio C, Antognoli A, Seibt J, Akusjärvi G, Wei WZ, Cavallo F, Kiessling R.
Source

Department of Oncology-Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.

Abstract

Cancer vaccines may have applications in the therapy and prevention of mammary carcinoma. To investigate such applications, we constructed a recombinant adenoviral vaccine expressing a kinase-inactive mutant form of human HER2 and introduced this into BALB/c wild-type (WT) or HER2 transgenic mice. Here, we report contributions by antibody responses and natural killer (NK) cells in tumor protection in this model.

One i.p. vaccination protected WT mice from the HER2-expressing mouse carcinoma D2F2/E2. Half of the HER2 transgenic mice were protected fully and long term after preventive vaccination. Tumor growth in mice that eventually developed neoplastic lesions was delayed. Protection in WT and HER2 transgenic mice was associated with high or low levels of IgG2a antibodies, respectively, whereas CTLs were observed in WT but not in HER2 transgenic mice. Depleting CD4(+) or CD8(+) cells in vaccinated WT mice had limited effects, suggesting that protection was largely independent of CD4(+) or CD8(+) T cells.

In contrast, antibody-mediated tumor rejection seemed to contribute significantly based on a loss of protection in mice deficient for Fc-γ RI/III or B cells.

Further, a role for antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) mediated by NK cells was indicated by evidence that vaccine protection could be abolished by in vivo depletion of NK cells. Lastly, NK cells and immune sera purified from WT or HER2 transgenic mice exhibited efficient ADCC of HER2-expressing tumor cells in vitro.

Our findings define a critical requirement for NK cells in vaccine-induced protection against HER2-expressing tumors.

Ellie F 04-30-2011 10:07 AM

Hi Jackie and Cure4cat
Thanks for posting. This researcher is a world leader. A professor at my centre used her first her 2 vaccine in Scandanavia. Whilst this wasn't totally sucessful it showed the direction that needed to be followed. Sounds like they are now well on the way! Wonder when this will be available in trials??

Ellie

ElaineM 04-30-2011 11:15 AM

Bring it on !!!!!!! A vaccine is something that I have wanted from day one twelve and a half years ago.
By the way, Cure4Cat, how did you get the Petuzumab? I am not sure I am spelling it right, but has it been approved or was it in a clinical trial?

Cure4Cat 05-02-2011 07:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. It is too bad there still in the mice phase. I hope the bring it to humans soon!

Elaine, I received Pertuzumab as part of a clinical trial. It has not been approved yet for standard use.

Cat

DeenaH 05-07-2011 03:12 PM

I actually emailed Dr. Wei directly when I did a little research on this a couple of months ago. I was just Googling Her2 Vaccines and an article about her research came up. Her response to me was that it hasn't reached human trials yet due to lack of funding. Very sad because it sounds so promising.

I am currently trying to get into the vaccine trial in Seattle.

Cure4Cat 05-07-2011 07:18 PM

Thanks Deena! I could not find Dr. Wei's email but I did email the hospital about it. They were vague on the delay but it did sound like funding was part of the issue. I asked for more specifics to see if there was anything I could work on with regards to fundraising. They said that they would forward my email to Dr. Wei but I never heard back. I would hate to see a delay due to lack of funding. It sounds similar to the challenges faced with Herceptin. If it is purely funding we (the Her2 community) should work together in finding funding either through corporate donations or something else. There must be something we can do to help. I just wish we had more info on the issue (i.e. What amount of funding is needed?). All the best on your vaccine trial. If you don't mind, I would love to hear more about your experience with it going forward.

Take care,
Cat

DeenaH 05-09-2011 06:06 PM

Hi Cat,

Here is her email address: weiw@karmanos.org

Her email to me was very personal and very nice. She inquired about my spirits. I can tell she cares greatly about what she is doing. Her specific reason for not being in clinic with this is that the "regulatory and financial challenges are significant". Obviously it isn't just money. So frustrating!!

I have been thinking a lot about her response since I got her email a few weeks ago, and have been wondering what I can do to help bring funding to this particular thing. Maybe I will email her to ask her. I have no experience on how to do it, but would love to start a grass roots movement. I just walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and even Susie's sister started somewhere. I just wish I knew where to start!

Deena

Cure4Cat 05-09-2011 06:27 PM

Hi Deena!

Thank you so much for your response!! I feel like we are on the same page.

Cat

lk1 06-13-2011 09:01 AM

Cure4CAt,

Have you found a trial yet? I'm also looking into which is best to get into
Thanks
Laura

Cure4Cat 06-13-2011 08:29 PM

Hi Laura,

I have not found one yet but I am still looking. The link below gives some info on an interesting upcoming trial. I am hoping to learn more. From what I know so far it should be open in about 6 months to 1 year.

http://www.tapimmune.com/collaborations/

Cat

Rich66 06-15-2011 05:12 PM

For what it's worth, I have seen some research suggesting low dose metronomic chemos might work to knock back some of the unhelpful immune factors that hamper cancer vaccines.