HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   No idea where to post (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40547)

Westcoastgirl 07-25-2009 01:22 PM

No idea where to post

My husband went to the family dr for me today as his office had called, wanting to see me, having received some results from my bone density test done a week ago. Just one week from my last chemo I did not want to brave a clinic waiting room. As my breast cancer tumor tested positive for estrogen it is advised I take an aromatase inhibitor for 5 years. One of the side affects is loss of bone density so they wanted to establish a base line. I had never considered myself a person that would develop osteoporosis but it seems I have osteoporosis. The dr does not have the numbers yet so we are not aware of how serious it is but that I am in that range. I am devastated, this is very hard to deal with...all those years of wt training, walking, good diet......then breast cancer, 6 months later, now osteoporosis. It feels a little unreal but to tell you the truth I have been feeling "fragile" for a few years. Not sure how this will work in the treatment of my cancer, have my next oncologist appt in two weeks. Frightening times for me. I did not know where to go for advise but wonder if any of you out there are in the same situation as me. When do the cons outweigh the pros of aromatase inhibitors if I already have osteoporosis? Carolyn

hutchibk 07-25-2009 02:14 PM

Perhaps you are osteopenic, which is pre-osteoporosis. Both osteopenia and osteoporosis are pretty common among bc survivors... please don't feel like you are facing this alone. Chances are you had a propensity before dx, because 6 months sounds to me like it might be a bit too fast to see full blown osteoporosis. It's also the result of a combination of being forced into menopause by chemo and side effect from AIs. There are plenty of treatment options (in the US anyway) and one is Zometa (zolendronic acid) which shows very good protection against bone metastasis along with treating osteoporosis. Take your calcium and D3 supplements everyday along with Zometa.

A few things I have adopted since being dxed with osteoporosis:
1. I don't get aggressive "cracking" chiropractic adjustments anymore (which I use to love), only gentle non-cracking ones (which seem to work just fine).
2. I don't ice skate or roller skate with my neice anymore, or do anything that could obviously result in a fall.
3. I continue to exercise lightly as I am able, riding bike, walking, hula hoop, shooting basketball.

Let us know what you find out.

StephN 07-25-2009 02:19 PM

Hello Carolyn -

I am a "west coast girl" too. Live just south of you.

What many of us have found is that after chemo we get a baseline Dexa bone density scan and find that we are deficient in our bones. My onc told me that the chemo is part of the cause and can put someone at risk for osteoporosis over the line.

One other thing you might have checked is your vitamin D level, which many of us here have tested low. So, you will want to at a minimum get that level up and take probably more calcium than you might get now. (You can look up a few recent threads on this topis.)

Another thing you can take that is actually a bone rebuilder is called Zometa. It is by infusion and several of the gals here get it 2 or 3 times per year. Threads on this topic as well.

If you should be on an AI, then there are things to do to counteract the effect on your bones. So, look hard at your diet and make some changes if that would help. Youir clinic should have a nutritionist that could help guide you.

Small boned women are at higher risk anyway. Keeping the tendons and muscles in tone will help protect your joints.

Let us know how you do. And try to educate yourself about some lifestyle and diet changes that can reverse this trend with your bones.

alicem 07-25-2009 02:26 PM

I would also visit your dentist before taking any drugs to combat osteoporosis. See the following link to an article about it:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...dental+healing

hutchibk 07-25-2009 02:30 PM

Yes - you need to get all dental work attended to and healed before starting Zometa. Then you have to keep up with your dental visits. Make sure your dentist is apprised and up to speed on bisphosphenates and potential for osteonecrosis of the jaw/teeth/gums.

Westcoastgirl 07-25-2009 02:48 PM

I knew you would be there for me

I did not know where to go, was upset so came here. This dx today feels more frightening to me than breast cancer. I thought I could beat the bc. I have never had a bone density done before last Friday and went through menopause 3 years ago. About 1 year ago I upped my calcium and vit D and have been conscientiously taking 1500 mg Calcium and 1000iu Vit D spread through the day. In years before I mostly just had my one a day vitamin. I questioned my husband's visit to the dr and suggested I was borderline but the dr was adamant I had osteoporosis. What you are telling me is my life is not over. I am afraid to take AI's. Have discussed beginning them after my radiation, so in the fall. I see that you have posted some warnings about bisphosphonates and that daily doses are considered safer than longer acting meds. I just had my last chemo this past Monday and it was cause to celebrate so this new dilemma is most unwelcome and I am back to grieving.

alicem 07-25-2009 03:40 PM

You should try and get your "scores" from your Bone Mineral Density test. When my oncologist called with my results, they read off the scores to me and told me what that meant. Some of my bones were fine, some fell into the "mild" osteopenia range. Here is a good link to tell you what the range of the scores mean (scroll about half way down) . . .

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle3148.html

This would help you determine just how bad it is. Maybe like Brenda said, you are just in osteopenia.

Regardless, you SHOULD be celebrating the end of your chemo. You have accomplished quite a lot!! There are things that can be done to help with the osteoporosis/osteopenia as well. Please try to hang in there!

ElaineM 07-25-2009 04:07 PM

No idea where to post

Hang in there. Having osteoporosis is not the end of the world. It is not life threatening like some health problems are. There are many things that can be done. Most of them have been mentioned in previous posts.
I have osteoporosis. I had it before my breast cancer diagnosis and still take armatose inhibitors which do not seem to making it worse. I get around very well. I take calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. I do not have much bone pain. I do all the things I did before my diagnosis, except I don't climb on things to reach things in high places anymore. I try my best to eat healthy. I exercise. However, I don't take zometa, because I have dental issues I am still working on.
My doctor told me during dexa scans they measure our spine and hip bones against what are normal bones for a 18-21 year old which is supposed to be the best time for bones. He said no adults, including most marathon runners do not have the bones of an 18 year old after the age of 30. Also different bone areas may have different levels of osteoporosis and/or pre osteoporosis, so all the bones may not have reached the point where they have osteoporosis. Some of your bones might be totally normal for someone your age.

suzan w 07-25-2009 05:26 PM

I have a lot (and I mean A LOT!!!) of experience with osteoporosis, E+ breast cancer, supplements, dexa scans, aromatase inhibitors...see my signature!!! Started breast cancer treatment, already diagnosed 10 years earlier with osteoporosis. Hormone repl. therapy and actonel ( and calcium vit. D and weight bearing ex.) for 10 years, osteoporosis got worse. Then breast cancer dx (I am convinced bc caused by hormone repl. treatments). Arimidex for 5 years...still Actonel (caused upset stomach) switch to Fosomax...for 1 year, still stomach issues. osteoporosis about as bad as it gets. Went to rheumatologist who recommended Forteo, daily injections for 2 years. 18 months of forteo, significant bone improvement (15%), To stabilize the bones, now will have an infusion of Reclast (zometa) once a year for 2 years. In a "nut"shell that's my story! Please feel free to contact me with any ??'s!

Diane H 07-26-2009 07:55 AM

Don't have much input for you. Sounds like it would be as suggested a good idea to get a more definitive explanation of your test results. Am going for my bone scan too in a few weeks and am anxious. Have been on the AI's for almost four years and this is the first bone scan since the beginning.
LOVE your Dr. Suess quote, really cute!

Diane

Westcoastgirl 07-28-2009 10:55 AM

Thank you

I thank you for all your replies. I was feeling overwhelmed, needed help, came here and was helped. I was able to go to my onc and talk to my dentist yesterday. In two weeks when I do my next Herceptin (notice I did not say chemo....done, done!!!) I will also start on Zometa. I do not have the bone density numbers yet but perhaps it will be as you have suggested, some bones will be stronger than others. We will see, but I am reading up a storm, have encorporated jumps into my exercise regime and I have to admit my walking pace has been much more inspired these past few days. I suspect when next I wt train it will be with a more invested effort. I will be postive and work with what I have. I feel foolish though that I have allowed this to happen, thought it would not happen to me...now where have I heard that before....thanks for making me feel it was not the end of the world, that it was something I could manage. I see a plan shaping up and with grace I will hope to respond well to Zometa. Sincerely, Carolyn

hutchibk 07-28-2009 03:15 PM

If you suspect you need any dental work done, i.e. fillings, gum cleaning, root canal, crowns, etc... you should identify, treat and heal completely before starting Zometa. Just some friendly advice.

Interesting that you referred to Herceptin as "not chemo" - LOL, I did the same thing yesterday when talking to my doctor and he corrected me telling me that Herceptin and Tykerb are indeed chemotheraputic agents... targeted ones, but chemo nonetheless. I learn something new everyday.