HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Infertility and Breast Cancer? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52045)

Kellennea 11-04-2011 02:36 PM

Infertility and Breast Cancer?

I would be interested in knowing if anyone here was an infertility patient at some point prior to being a breast cancer patient.

I have under gone several rounds of infertility treatment, including 4 IVF cycles... thats ALOT of hormones being injected over the years.

Both my surgeon and my oncologist seem to think there is no link. I find this hard to believe considering my cancer was ER/PR+.

Thoughts?

k.

Jackie07 11-04-2011 03:40 PM

Re: Infertility and Breast Cancer?

I only had had three infertility treatment - first month taking some kind of pills, then 2nd and 3rd months artificial insemination.

I believe the time was around fall of 1998 (or 1999). By 2000 (or 2001), the ultrasound found three uterine fibroids and I was (ironically :) given birth control pills to 'shrink' it.

When breast cancer was found in my annual mammogram in 2003(hubby felt it 30 hours before the scheduled mammography - or we might never have found it as it was on the edge and I was flat-chested), my gynecologist told me to quit taking the birth control pills (He did not know that I'd been diagnosed with breast cancer until I called him on the phone.) The tumor was tested and found to be Her2+++ and Er+.

I took Tamoxifen for 3 years before the recurrence was found 4 years after the lumpectomy (the surgeon thought she'd gotten a 'clean margin', so the new growth had been interpreted as 'scar tissue' - yet nobody had informed me about it.) It's the exact same cancer - Her2+++ and Er 5%.

3twins 11-04-2011 05:46 PM

I spent almost 7 years undergoing infertility treatment. While my Onc has said the same as yours, I am convinced 7 years of playing with hormones created the right conditions for my diagnosis. I had 3 IUI's and 3 IVF's.

3twins

Pray 11-05-2011 12:48 AM

Hi Kell,

I carried my sisters son (which was my brother in-law and sisters embr.), so my body had to have the same cycle timing as hers. My husband had to give me shots to do so. I have forgotten the name of the shots. It was 13 years ago! Of coarse I asked my onc. if doing that had anything to do with my bc and he said no.

Peace,

Your Friend,

Nancy

laureen 11-05-2011 08:29 PM

I took clomid for about 5 months. 2 years later, stage iii, but not er+. After chemo cycle has been normal. In fact, I have had two babies in past 2 1/2 years. I needed the chemo to cure my infertility.

NEDenise 11-07-2011 06:16 AM

K-
My husband and I were in fertility treatment for nearly 5 years before we conceived our eldest son. My cycle was stopped and started repeatedly... I got pills and shots galore...I had blood drawn 72 times in one 5 month period...When I was pregnant, I popped progesterone pills like M&Ms...but my cancer is ER/PR negative...so I really don't think it had anything to do with my BC. In fact, my onc was quick to reassure me that it had no effect.

Not sure if my belief is right, but I wouldn't trade my boys for anything...not even a clean bill of health...so for me the point is moot. But, if it hadn't gotten me 2 great kids...I'd be looking for butts to kick!

Good luck in your quest for answers!
Denise

norkdo 11-07-2011 10:13 AM

3twins: re your signature line which i italicised here..... you are ER/PR negative. Rest assured the pill or hormone treatments of any kind could not have caused your cancer!!!!!!!

I spent almost 7 years undergoing infertility treatment. While my Onc has said the same as yours, I am convinced 7 years of playing with hormones created the right conditions for my diagnosis. I had 3 IUI's and 3 IVF's.

3twins

norkdo 11-07-2011 10:15 AM

to denise;
re your signature line italicised below: you could not POSSIBLY have gotten your cancer from either the pill or miscarriage or fertility treatments as you are hormone negative.

K-
My husband and I were in fertility treatment for nearly 5 years before we conceived our eldest son. My cycle was stopped and started repeatedly... I got pills and shots galore...I had blood drawn 72 times in one 5 month period...When I was pregnant, I popped progesterone pills like M&Ms...but my cancer is ER/PR negative...so I really don't think it had anything to do with my BC. In fact, my onc was quick to reassure me that it had no effect.

Not sure if my belief is right, but I wouldn't trade my boys for anything...not even a clean bill of health...so for me the point is moot. But, if it hadn't gotten me 2 great kids...I'd be looking for butts to kick!

Good luck in your quest for answers!
Denise
1/11 - needle biopsy
2/11-Lumpectomy and axillary node dissection - Stage 3, ER/PR-,

NEDenise 11-07-2011 01:23 PM

Hi Nora-
It's not as cut and dry as that, unfortunately. Besides estrogen and progesterone, LOTS of other chemicals and hormones are used in infertility treatment. And, since we don't know what causes cancer....we can't be 100% sure what doesn't either.

But again...no regrets here...it got me my beautiful sons...and I wouldn't give that up for anything!!

Denise

3twins 11-08-2011 11:30 PM

Norkdo,
Thanks for pointing out my signature because It made me realize that it is incorrect. I am ER+ and am just completing my first year of Arimidex.
3twins