HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   12 years and still counting (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247)

ElaineM 12-30-2010 10:52 AM

12 years and still counting

Happy New Year !! Hauoli Makahiki Hou !!
I couldn't let this occassion pass without wishing all of you peace, good health and joy in 2011 and beyond.
I was diagnosed in early January, 1999. A doctor told me I had 6 months to live at the beginning of 2000. I remember that day. I did not say anything. I just laid on his exam table quietly, but in my heart and mind I decided that was not going to happen to me !!!!!!!!
I didn't know how I was going to accomplish that task that day, but I figured it out as I went along. I learned as much as I could, was not afraid to challenge doctors when it was appropriate to do so and found ways to get the things I needed. This journey has not always been easy, but I kept going even though I changed the route a couple of times.
I changed doctors when I needed to do that. On the other side of the coin I am still working with one or two doctors I first saw in 1999. Thankfully they are willing to travel with me through this journey.
I am still learning and putting one foot in front of the other. I promised my doctors I will be showing up for check ups when I am 90. That is my goal.
Never give up !!!!!!! Determination, believing in the possibility of success, learning as much as we can, refusing to give up, and being proactive and aggressive are the keys to long term survival.
All the best to each and everyone of you !!!!!!!!!! Never give up !!!!!!!!!!!

Joan M 12-30-2010 11:04 AM

Re: 12 years and still counting

Jackie,

Happy New Year! And many more years of NED! You encourage me!

Joan

Ellie F 12-30-2010 12:48 PM

Me to !

Ellie

caya 12-30-2010 01:01 PM

Big congrats to you ElaineM!! Thanks for sharing, gives hope to all of us..

Happy New Year!!

all the best
caya

GracePang 12-30-2010 01:13 PM

Elaine,
Happy New Year! such an encouraging mesaage. Would love to know your history of fighting the disease (I am relatively new to the site and sorry for not knowing).
Grace

tricia keegan 12-30-2010 02:02 PM

Wow Elaine, what an encouraging post to read as I logged in this evening and many congrats to you on reaching this milestone!!!

Like Grace I also would love to know your past treatment and diagnosis, did you have herceptin at any point???

Thank you so much for posting and sharing this and a very Happy New Year to you!!! xx

Pam P 12-31-2010 03:53 AM

Elaine = what a beautiful message of your determination and success! Congratulations on 12 years. Keep counting........all the way to that 90 year old check up date and beyond.

pibikay 12-31-2010 04:12 AM

All the best Elaine

Sheila 12-31-2010 05:32 AM

Congratulations Elaine...12 years...what a milestone....you give such inspiration to those of us behind you.....can't wait for you to celebrate 25!!!!

Mary L 12-31-2010 09:01 AM

Congratulations Elaine and many more!!!! Mary L

Delaney 12-31-2010 10:10 AM

Elaine, congratulations, wow, I envy you. Were you er - or er+? what treatment did you have?

adelay 12-31-2010 10:32 AM

Congratulations...stories like yours keep me going and give all of us so much hope! Happy 2011.

mmoons 12-31-2010 03:25 PM

Elaine-

What an amazing post and story! I LOVE it!!! I am printing it out and saving it to re-read when I need to (which might be often). Thank you so much for sharing your success. It is great to read!

Maureen

krisvell 12-31-2010 05:52 PM

Elaine,
Happy New Year to you! I was feeling pretty down today. I just read the cure magazine and they have a new ad for Herceptin. For the treatment I had (TCH), it says it reduces the rate of recurrence by 33%. It really bumed me out. You have really inspired me tonight. THANK YOU!!
Kris....

Jackie07 12-31-2010 06:04 PM

Happy New Year!

ElaineM 01-01-2011 01:08 PM

Aloha,
Thank you for your kind words everyone.
Some of you have asked about my stats and/or treatments. Discussing my stats and treatments was not my purpose in writing this essay.
My purpose was to share something else with you.
It takes alot more than medical science to be a long time survivor of a major health problem. Medical science is important, but medical science is only one part of the plan.
I sincerely hope that each and everyone of you can find the things inside of you that will help you be a long time survivor.
All the best to you in 2011 and beyond.

chrisy 01-01-2011 06:09 PM

Elaine,
thank you for sharing your post. Along with perhaps many others, I particularly needed that today. Then as I was scrolling down to reply, I saw your SECOND post on the thread. I think I needed that one even more.

Thanks, happy new year, and God bless.
Chris

Jean 01-02-2011 07:47 PM

Elaine,
Congratulations!!!!
You are a beautiful role model for all of us.
Your strength and love of life is beautiful.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
May the New Year continue to bring you joy.

hugs,
Jean

LoisLane 01-03-2011 12:40 PM

Hi Elaine. What a wonderful inspiring message. I want to wish you a very happy healthy new year as well. You are always a bright spot on the site, have helpful kind messages. Must say you live in a beautiful part of the world. I went to Hawaii about 25 years ago and fell in love with your home. still trying to get my husband to go there keep telling him about the amazing golf etc. I told him if we stay a few nights in L.A. it would break up the flight. I think he is just not crazy about the direct flight from Toronto. Anyway thanks again Elaine wonderful news Love Lois

Mary L 01-03-2011 04:32 PM

Greetings from freezing PA. Today was my onc appointment and my bloodwork was perfect and the node under my chin was just a node under my chin..... and that is not where you usually find recurrence. It is hard to find it now as it has gone down. He feels it was my body fighting against the bronchitis my husband had. I do not need my ct scans done untill spring He said, you do not have cancer so stop worrying! The place where my cancer has recurred has always been skin mets on my mastectomy site and my Dr. says if it should return that is where it most likely would be. I feel so much better. I had myself really stressed out over this. Thank you for sending me prayers & good wishes. Mary L