HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MBC Triple positive's here's an exciting possibility (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67085)

Cathya 05-12-2018 03:28 PM

MBC Triple positive's here's an exciting possibility

Background: I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4 mbc and to the lungs. Whereas I was triple positive previously I am now her2-. As such I am taking a new CDK4/6 inhibitor Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole.

Here is an article "CDK4/6 Inhibition Refined in HR+ Breast Cancer, as Novel Combos Emerge" including Dr. Slaman's comments (we've ALL heard of him).

https://www.onclive.com/web-exclusiv...-combos-emerge

I have been lurking and reading posts by members on the community.breastcancer.com Ibrance topic and I saw a woman who was originally diagnosed in 2002 who has stage 4 bone mets which are Her2+. Imagine my surprise. I texted her to inquire as to how she is taking a drug only recommended for her2-'s and here is her reply which I found very exciting

"hi Cathy - I used to hang out at her2support.org the first couple of years after my original dx in 2002. i was so sad to see that christine passed. 😢 She is the one who inspired me to get herceptin off label 4 years before it was approved for early stage BC.

I’m so sorry to read about your MBC diagnosis. I am only a few months into this with bone mets. So regarding Ibrance (I take it with Faslodex) my doctor said that it was only studied in Her2- people to rule out the Her2 variable and fast track it. They are starting trials now for Her2+ and he said we have no reason to believe that it won’t also work for the triple positive people as it really is targeting the hormone positive side of the equation. So he said let’s try to run it through insurance and a see if they notice.... they did not so we are rolling with it!"

I also googled and found a pilot study for her2+'s with this drug. Designed for triple positives with brain mets

http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/..._suppl.TPS1110

I really really hope this helps give hope to those of us out there who need it.

Bless you,

Cathy

Laurel 05-12-2018 04:38 PM

Re: MBC Triple positive's here's an exciting possibility

Good stuff there, Cathy! Thanks for posting it. I am triple positive.

jra40 05-14-2018 10:26 AM

I too am triple positive - thank you for this post!

tricia keegan 05-14-2018 02:08 PM

I was triple pos also Cathy and so far NED but good to know this is out there.

SoCalGal 05-14-2018 04:19 PM

This is a good share, thanks for that. Cathy I know so many women who are doing well on Ibrance so hope this is your magic bullet. Sending hugs.XXXFlori

Cathya 05-16-2018 10:38 AM

http://www.cancernetwork.com/breast-...ancer/page/0/1

CDK4/6 inhibitors for HR+/HER2+ advanced breast cancer
Preclinical data suggest that combining a CDK4/6 inhibitor with anti-HER2 therapy may be effective in this setting.[29] Ongoing clinical trials with palbociclib (PATRICIA [NCT02448420], PATINA [NCT02947685]), ribociclib (NCT02657343), and abemaciclib (monarcHER [NCT02675231]) are all examining the benefit of a CDK4/6 inhibitor added to HER2-directed therapy or HER2-directed therapy and endocrine therapy for patients with HR+/HER2+ advanced breast cancer.

Cathya 07-08-2018 12:42 PM

Hi all;

Lauren just posted the following results. She's taking Ibrance and is Her2+.

Jul 6, 2018 10:44PM - edited Jul 7, 2018 12:17AM by LaurenH

Hi all - had my pet scan today and surprisingly, I got results just before closing time at 5 today. I haven't read the report yet but after 5 months of Ibrance and radiation to my single rib met, I have no new cancer and the rib appears to be healing bone Not consistent with active cancer so i am elated!

Dx 12/2002, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)
Dx 2/15/2018, IDC, Left, Stage IV, ER+/PR-, HER2+
Targeted Therapy 2/21/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab)
Targeted Therapy 2/23/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib)
Radiation Therapy 3/1/2018 External: Bone
Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)
Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)
Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)
Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere)
Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary

Carol Ann 07-08-2018 12:58 PM

Wow that's great and good to know this drug is another possibility!

Carol Ann

Pamelamary 07-09-2018 01:00 AM

Thanks Cathy - good news indeed..... Pam

Cathya 07-22-2018 11:07 AM

Hi all;

I posted this under another topic but wanted to be sure to post my results after posting Laurens who is her2+. My tumour has turned her2- but this is being used for both. There apparently will be a paper on this in December.

I'm very happy to report that the Ibrance/Letrozole appears to be working. I understand that you have to give this time so after three months (I just finished my 3rd cycle today) I am super stoked to see these results. I'll post the results below. My abdominal CT with contrast was reported separately and NED there so don't think ovarian spread is an issue....although I haven't spoken to my oncologist yet. I see him Aug 2nd. Here we go:

COMPARISON: February 23, 2018.
LUNGS AND TRACHEOBRONCHIAL TREE: Previously 6 mm nodule anteriorly in left
upper lobe has decreased to 4 mm in diameter on image #114. No new pulmonary
nodule.
LYMPH NODES AND MEDIASTINUM: No enlarged thoracic lymph node.
PLEURA AND PERICARDIUM: Previously seen left-sided pleural nodules have either
significantly decreased or resolved. For example
Previously 25 mm anterior paramediastinal nodule has decreased to 12 mm in
diameter.
Previously 27 x 11 mm pleural nodule at upper posterior aspect has decreased to
13 x 4 mm in diameter.

---------
IMPRESSION:
Significant interval improvement, partial response.

Pamelamary 07-22-2018 02:20 PM

Sounds great, Cathy! Hope this new treatment continues to work well for you for a long time to come.
Best wishes.... Pam

Carol Ann 07-22-2018 03:06 PM

Wonderful news! Hope it continues to work and getts even better for you!

Carol Ann

Becky 07-22-2018 09:21 PM

Yeah. I'm so happy about your news