HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone on Keytruda or Opdivo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63938)

yanyan 10-15-2015 10:52 AM

Anyone on Keytruda or Opdivo

My Onco said Opdivo is available for me if I want to use it. Opdivo and Keyteuda are both PD-1 drug. Anyone on it ?

Mtngrl 10-15-2015 01:27 PM

Re: Anyone on Keytruda or Opdivo

I'm not taking them, but I wish you well and I hope it will be your ticket to NED.

Amy

MaineRottweilers 10-15-2015 05:05 PM

I have not heard of either drug. I hope they are kind to you but kill cancer, dead.

donocco 10-15-2015 06:01 PM

Ive heard of Kaytruda. I believe the generic name is Pembrolizumab. The dose is 2mg/kg every month or every three weeks. I forgot. So far it has only been used a lot for melanoma with some success it appears.

The PD-1 inhibitors fight cancer by stimulating the T-Cell immune system Auto-immune side effects such as hepatitis and colonitis are listed. These are serious but apparently can be treated by stopping the drug and taking a fairly high dose of Prednisone for a while. These reactions may not be common. People become frightgened when they read all the side effects in the PDR.
But the purpose of the PDR insert is as much to protect the company legally as to provide info. Youll have to talk with your doctor as to how common serious side effects are

Paul

yanyan 10-15-2015 08:24 PM

A friend of mine has ovarian cancer and she is also given this medicine. One of them has severe side effects not sure which one so she's on the other one. With keytruda you need to be tested for PD-1. However my Onco doesn't think chemo alone is enough to eradicate my problem so he's pro immune therapy. He ok'd me to be off chemo for 4 weeks after my 5th round of chemo to receive immune therapy in China. I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.

Pamelamary 10-15-2015 08:54 PM

There is a trial here in Melbourne, where one woman I know with Stage IV breast cancer has just begun treatment with Herceptin and Keytruda. I don't know much more than that though. Good luck with your new treatment..... Pam

michka 10-16-2015 07:47 AM

YanYan I am sorry you still have to look for new treatments but I believe in immunotherapy. I hope you will have good results and minor side effects. Hugs. Michka

yanyan 10-16-2015 02:56 PM

Thank you everyone for your encouragement! I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks in Europe this summer with my 9 yr old. She is been wanting to visit the Eiffel Tower and Amsterdam. This trip is on the bucket list.

Lucy 10-17-2015 07:34 AM

They've recently had commercials for opdivo. It says it's great for killing cancer but the possible side effects were pretty significant in a long term sense. I can't remember what they are right now but I do know that it made me think I would have to seriously weigh the pros and cons of taking it before I would consider it as an option, should it be offered to me. You want to feel you've done everything you can but the decisions aren't always easy. Best of luck to you.

donocco 10-17-2015 11:57 AM

The PD-1 inhibitors stimulate the immune system by preventing
the PD-1 protein from binding to receptors in the T-Cells. Its a control mechanism. You need T-Cell immunity to survive but if it becomes too active, you get autoimmune diseases like Lupus Erythymatosis, Hashimotot's thyroiditis etc etc. Some medications can induce Lupus, the two big names are Procainamide (for abnormal heart rythym) and Hydralazine (to treat high blod pressure).

The side effects you are hearing are drug induced autoimmune side effects like Autimmune Colitis and Autoimmune Hepatits. These are serious but not that common. If they occur the Opdivo,
Kaytruda whatever can be discontinued and high dose Prednisone or equivalent can be given for awhile. I wouldnt underestimate these side effects but you have to be careful not to overestimate them. A lot of the drug info put out by the drug companies is legal protection. They will mention any and every side effect possible to avoid being sued. The autoimmune colitis is real but not that common.

In the PDR info for Opdivo the incidence of auto-
immune colitis requiring steroid treatment was 2.2% The incidence of auto immune hepatitis was about 1% although maybe 20% of patients had a significant rise in liver enzymes. A rise in liver enzymes is not necessarily serious but the doctor will watch the patient closely

The common Opdivo side effects are rash, prurutis, cough, peripheral edema, dizziness and others.

Paul

agness 02-13-2016 02:01 PM

Any updates?

Any HER2+ gals trying off-label Opdivo or Keytruda?

"The level of PD-L1 expression overall didn't seem to make a difference in response rate in breast cancer."

PD-1 Blocker Gets Few, but Durable, Breast Cancer Responses
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/SABCS/49052