HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Does your port hurt - have to wear bra 24/7? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61575)

knmtwins 08-03-2014 08:46 AM

Does your port hurt - have to wear bra 24/7?

So, I am a larger breasted woman, 38DDD, if not DDDD, and let me tell you if I don't wear a bra 24/7 the area around my port hurts more, but there is a constant discomfort. It was put in almost a month ago, 7/11, and has been used twice, once for TCHP chemo 7/16 and once for fluids 7/21. I feel like the pull of my sagging breast, either from gravity or when I move hurts the area around it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Lnmum 08-03-2014 09:02 AM

Re: Does your port hurt - have to wear bra 24/7?

My port is uncomfortable, too. I have to sleep with a pillow wrapped in my arms and seat belts hurt. I long for the day I have it removed. My general practitioner said the port may be pressing against a nerve. For now, it is necessary. My veins blow with any and all IVs!

linzer 08-03-2014 09:08 AM

I've had my port for 8 weeks. It's not uncomfortable during the day, but I find it is a bit when trying to sleep on that side (left) or on my stomach. It also itches sometimes lately. Perhaps more healing going on around incision etc. I can totally see that it would possibly hurt if a breast was pulling on it. I'm a 34C so that isn't an issue I can comment on knowledgeably. Sometimes I also get a funny sensation with the tubing leading off of it comes in contact with a nerve. Just a split second little zap and then done. Maybe you could chat with your oncologist about it just to double check that all is well. From what I've read, lots of people have love/hate relationships with the port. I'm glad that I have mine, but also would prefer not to :) Good luck - I hope you get some relief and figure out something that works for you.

Nurse4u2day 08-03-2014 05:17 PM

My port hurt and the tubing at times would protrude like a lot . It took a good 4 months for the pain and irritability to go away. At first I wanted it removed once chemo was done and mastectomy . But now finally I am use to it and don't often think about it anymore . Mind you though once I'm done with my Herceptin I want this thing out. I am glad for it now however, glad my Surgical Oncologist encouraged me to keep it until then. As for expanders Argh lol

CoolBreeze 08-05-2014 07:37 PM

I have my port in my arm. It is not comfortable there either but since it is permanent I don't really think about it much.

I wouldn't suggest you have it taken out and put in your arm but I am posting this for anybody who might read it who doesn't have a port yet. It is unusual but not impossible to have it put in your arm. You need to ask for it ahead of time so they know what type of port to get.

In the meantime, I would get some soft bras to sleep in. Maybe those coobie kind? Or a sports bra. You probably don't need that much support, just enough to keep the port from pulling.