HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Brain Mets MRI shows great improvement (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34488)

Emmay 06-24-2008 07:52 PM

Brain Mets MRI shows great improvement

My sister has been on a new experimental therapy for bc brain mets of CPT-11 (a.k.a. Irinotecan) plus Avastin for 6 weeks (=two infusion sessions, not including yesterday's). Today's MRI showed remarkable improvement: the many large, bright areas from her previous MRI were dramatically diminished, some gone altogether.

She had said that her headaches were lessening noticeably, down to a short, slight twinge every 2-3 days, so we were cautiously hopeful, but were stunned when we reviewed today's scans. We'd never before seen such a large difference after just six weeks. My sister's neuro-oncologist said they are seeing good preliminary results with some other patients as well; it's difficult to know how much of the effect is a result of CPT-11 and how much from Avastin.

My sister's T-lymphocyte blood cell count is down, so yesterday she had an infusion of just Avastin and Herceptin (resuming after Tykerb failed for her); in two weeks she will resume CPT-11 & Avastin at a slightly lower dose, then continue on a 2-week cycle.

I'm happy to report this encouraging news, and will keep this board posted.

Emmay

lilyecuadorian 06-24-2008 08:15 PM

great news ...

Faith in Him 06-24-2008 09:40 PM

I am so happy that your sister is responding to this drug. Wonderful news.

ElaineM 06-24-2008 10:15 PM

Wonderful news !! Fantastic !!

lexigirl 06-25-2008 09:46 AM

Thank you for sharing her wonderful news!! That is really encouraging!! Give her a big hug from us!!

Lexi

Believe51 06-25-2008 01:20 PM

Emmay

Ah Sweetheart, we can never get enough encouraging stories. Keep 'em coming. Send big love to sis and let her know she will in our thoughts. Oh, I am so happy for her.......and for you too!!>>Believe51

pattyz 06-26-2008 06:23 AM

Hey Emmay!

Thanks for the 'head's up'!

This is just the greatest news, dear! Am so happy for your sister... and you!

hugs,
patty xoxo

DonnaD 06-26-2008 09:44 AM

Emmay,
Finally some good news, just what we need.

Thank you for sharing your sisters fantastic results. Keep the information coming!
Donna

chrisy 06-26-2008 10:16 AM

Wow, that's really great news! Thanks for sharing!

dee1969 06-27-2008 10:40 AM

I have new brain lesions- would love any more info you have

Hi- I am due a follow-up brain mri in 4 weeks, they suspect 2 new lesions, but are too small yet to radiate , so want to wait a month to rescan. I am very scared of a sudden onslaught of new brain mets. I got my initial, and only brain mets tumor radiated 15 mths ago and no new lesions appeared til now. I have just finished 2 rounds (6 mths each) of Abraxane in last 15mths. ( Mets to lungs. liver and kidneys- all stable except liver)I am on a 2 mth break. Am on Tykerb and Arimidex for now. I am frightened that Tykerb and Abraxane will no wonder work, as few other drugs get thru the blood brain barrier. Any new info or research leads would greatly help. I am 38 and getting very tired Many, many ,Thanks, D

ElaineM 06-27-2008 02:34 PM

Hang in there. Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Emmay 06-29-2008 06:47 PM

Hi Dee1969,

I am sorry to hear that your dr. suspects 2 new brain mets, but if they are in fact mets, it's good that they are small and easily treated with Stereotactic RadioSurgery. You don't mention how long you've been on Tykerb -- it's been effective for some Her2+ women with bc mets to the brain (since it crosses the blood-brain barrier) so if you've just started it, maybe you want to give it a little more time.

If you have been on Tykerb for a while and it turns out there are 2 new lesions, Temodar and/or Temodar plus Xeloda is being used for bc brain mets effectively with some women(look up PattyZ's posts). My sister was on Temodar+Sorafenib (an anti-angiogenesis agent similar to Avastin) and it worked very well for a while, but she was steadily losing too much weight (due to diarrhea - not everyone has this problem) so she had to switch. Before that, she was treated effectively for several years with Cyberknife RadioSurgery for brain mets as they appeared, usually 2-3 small lesions at a time.

If you are very worried about suddenly having many brain mets, there's also the possibility of Whole Brain Radiation, but there are mixed feelings about that treatment - some in favor, some opposed. You should be sure to read through the Metastasis - Brain CNS section on this site. Also, check out brainmetsbc.org.

You still have options. My sister has been through many treatments, and we were told before she started the CPT-11(Irinotecan)+Avastin treatment that we would be in somewhat uncharted territory. We are very happy that her lesions showed rapid shrinkage - however her white blood cell count dropped and she is being followed closely - they are trying to define the fine line between maximum effectiveness and toxicity in her dosage.

I wish you the very best.

Emmay

dee1969 07-05-2008 03:38 PM

Thankyou Emmay

Hi Emmay, Thankyou for your long and descriptive email, it is so reassuring to read ( and re-read). A lot of us are in unchartered territory and your sister especially is a Pioneer. I will take all her details of recent drugs and share with my doctors. Thankyou very much again Emmay. Your sister is in my thoughts; i look forward to reading more about her. I will post any relevant news i find for you both. Best wishes, keep strong, Dee