HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Muga Scan Results (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46259)

Lauriesh 08-03-2010 02:46 PM

Muga Scan Results

I got my muga scan results, and my ejection fraction is 51. I am nervous as I have had my first dose of herceptin last week, since being diagnosed stage 4, and will be having my second one tomorrow.

How low will an onc usually let it go before they would stop Herceptin?

I will start taking cq10. any other suggestions?

thanks for any help

Laurie

Chelee 08-03-2010 03:42 PM

Re: Muga Scan Results

They usual will stop Herceptin if Muga drops below 50 which your close too. But the good thing is once you stop the heart usually bounces right back. The CO Enzyme Q10 would be a great thing to start as it really looks like it helps alot. Another thing that seems to sometimes help is when you have your Herceptin infusions have them slow down the rate at which it's given. Most get it in 30 minute infusions. I always have mine in a hr or sometimes longer. I really believe it's easier on the heart. (JMHO)

I am sure some other ladies will chime in. There are lots of ladies that have had to stop Herceptin...but were still able to continue after a break. So hang in there.

Chelee

Jackie07 08-03-2010 04:05 PM

I got the same number (51) in the middle of my chemo (TCH). The oncologist did not order another one until I had completed the 18 weeks plus 4 weekly Herceptin. I think the rule of thumb is either below 50 or when the score has dropped more than 10%.

There are several ladies on the Board that were able to increase their MUGA score by exercising and taking CQ10. I myself have mitral valve prolapse, a congenital condition, which I thought might have been the culprit.

Sandra in GA 08-03-2010 04:18 PM

Some one on the board also received a medication (could have been Cozaar) that helped her maintain her ejection faction. I am sure your doctors will know. Also, if you feel like it, several others have added walking to their daily routines. Good luck!
Sandra

Sheila 08-04-2010 06:07 AM

Laurie
I was put on Coreg by a cardiologist to strengthen my heart....they did not want me on CoQ10. The Coreg has improved my function and I have remained on Herceptin (over 7 years straight)...
Also the timing of the muga in proximity to the dose of Herceptin can affect the results....I have found that Oncologists order Mugas, while Cardiologists order echocardiogram....less radiation and a better picture of the heart! Ask for a referral to one and see what they say!

Sandra in GA 08-04-2010 08:11 AM

Thank you Shelia. I knew it started with a "c". I just wanted Laurie to have that information. Thank you again.
Sandra