HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The other end... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33610)

SusanV 04-17-2008 11:18 AM

The other end...

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone (Even those under 40) have gotten a colonoscopy done as a result of their Breast Cancer DX. My oncologist did not suggest it, but my gynocologist did. I have put it off, almost a year now. (With no good reason I might add) I did do the other suggestion, which was go to a dermatologist for a complete skin check.

Well, Just wondering.......

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Yorkiegirl 04-17-2008 11:39 AM

I did and am glad I did, cause there were 6 polyps found, all of them were benign. Had I waited, no telling what they would have been.

Mary Jo 04-17-2008 11:55 AM

Yes I did

Hi Susan,

Yes, I did. Not on the advice of my onc. or gyn. though. I went to a GI doc because of some digestive issues and she, when learning of my breast cancer diagnosis, wanted an abdominal CT scan done and a colonoscopy. I am glad I had both. It was good to get the all clear in those areas. HOWEVER, they did fine 4 polyps and one of them was a pre-cancerous lesion. So, it was a GOOD thing I didn't wait until age 50.

I am 48 now and had the colonoscopy at age 47.

Go for it.....it was a piece of cake..............The prep. is way worse than the actual procedure as anyone who has had it will tell you.

Hugs to you.....

Mary Jo

swimangel72 04-17-2008 03:43 PM

Hi Susan - my ob/gyn, oncologist, breast surgen, plastic surgeon and all the different doctors who treated me for 16 days in the hospital ALL advised me to get a colonoscopy. The first instruction written on my hospital release information sheet was to schedule an appointment for the colonscopy. I haven't done so yet - because I kept forgetting with all my other problems. But thanks for posting this thread because the least I can do is to call tomorrow and SCHEDULE the appointment - and while I'm at it, I'll schedule my husband's too. We're both 53 and way over-due!

Karen W 04-17-2008 06:55 PM

I did and I also went to the dermatologist for a skin check.

Karen

Paris 04-18-2008 06:28 AM

None of my doctors suggested this. I have thought about it though. Are the recommendations different for colon cancer screening if you've had breast cancer? Is there a link between the two? I had asked my onc. about a possible link and he said no.

harrie 04-18-2008 06:20 PM

Because of my BRCA2 gene, it is recommended I get annual skin exams and a colonoscopy every 5 yrs instead of 10.

Soccermom 04-18-2008 06:52 PM

I have had three colonoscopies early on before BC due to brothers colon ca diagnosis ...found precancerous polyps twice and last one was clear...have 3 more years before I need another one. Piece of cake...REALLLY!
Hugs,Marcia

lizm100 05-30-2008 06:32 PM

Hi Susan-
just found this thread. My oncologist asked me if I ever had a colonoscopy & was glad that I did or she would recommend one. I had a colonoscopy done at the age of 36 two years b/4 being diagnosed b/c of digestive issues and they found a benign polyp. Also, I went for a skin check last month and ended up with a basal cell carcinoma on my scalp. Was told the skin cancer was caused many years of sun burns on where I usually part my hair.

The colonoscopy is not a big deal but I found the prep to be difficult. Nothing but clear broths, liquids and jello the day b/4. You also have be careful with what colors you drink and what color jello you eat.

Good luck,

Liz

Unregistered 05-30-2008 07:59 PM

No...No one has recommended it yet. I'm sure it will be coming soon as I will be reaching the baseline age. Yikes, I can't even bear to type that #. I don't know of any clear links, there are some studies that say BC people have a greater risk of other cancers. I don't know if the percentage rate is enough to be worried about. I guess it depends on your whole health history. Bev

Sherryg683 05-30-2008 08:38 PM

Do you still need a colonoscopy if you are having PET/CT scans every 6 months? My GP said no. I am due for a colonoscopy now, I had one done 5 years ago. My gynolocologist told me there was no need for pap smears because I was having the best tests done to detect cancer already (pet scans). I know there's different opinions on this. I am going to ask my oncologist about it tuesday. I would rather go ahead and have it done anyway because I don't know if PET/CTS detect polyps and I'd rather catch it before it was cancer...sherryg683