HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   OLYMPIC GAMES - anyone else watching? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43891)

StephN 02-23-2010 03:23 PM

OLYMPIC GAMES - anyone else watching?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone -
How are you enjoying the Vancouver Olympics?

Have been a fan of the Olympics since junior high when I made a scrapbook of the winter games in 1964 (I think). Coming from a sports-minded family and being a skier since I was 6, the attraction is natural.

While living in new York City in 1980, I was able to go up to Lake Placid for a weekend and take in a ski and women's skating event. There was no place to stay so rode the bus back all night!

This time the rooms available were VERY expensive and the event tickets were bad enough at $200 each for 4th row seats. The border crossing luckily had only 5 minute waits on Friday. We made it back home by 1am, with clear skies and NO traffic.

The US team is doing well and leading the medals count. What happened to Russia this year??

Enjoy the efforts of these dedicated athletes.

I heard that the "ice crystals" of the torch are covered in tin foil.

Joe 02-23-2010 03:36 PM

Re: OLYMPIC GAMES - anyone else watching?

Carlsbad's own Shawn White took the gold in Snow Boarding. Danielle graduated high school with with him.

Regards
Joe

karen z 02-23-2010 05:32 PM

Steph,
Your pictures are just great!! Thanks!!

And now- another reason for Carlsbad to be on the map!! Congrats to Shawn White.

Laurel 02-23-2010 06:59 PM

Wow! You lucky dog, you! Wish I was there! I am following them, as I always do with the Olympics, on TV! Two years ago during the summer Olympics I was doing chemo. It was wonderful to spend those steroid fueled, sleepless nights in the company of the Olympics!

Hey, it that Brenda in the crowd there at the hockey game? Wow! This is like "Where's Waldo?"

ElaineM 02-23-2010 09:13 PM

I have been enjoying the Olympics almost every evening. I like anything that involves skating, snow boarding and some of the skiing events best. I live in Hawaii now, but I grew up ice skating on the East Coast.
I have can e-mail a couple of my docs. One of my docs went to the Olympics for a week. I e-mailed him some test results. When he replied he wrote that he was watching the speed skating and thanked me for the update, so I told him to cheer Ono for me. His reply was sent by his smart phone.

PinkGirl 02-24-2010 06:06 AM

Yep, I am an official couch olympian ... glued to the TV.