HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   5 yrs. have past.. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44926)

Jean 04-28-2010 07:03 PM

5 yrs. have past..

Hello to all,
April 14th I celebrated my 5yr cancerversery
I had hesitated to share my happy news in light of the
past few months -then I considered all the members who need to hear positive news.
I enjoyed the celebration with my husband, son and friends.
I want to share with the newly dx. that the first year is the hardest - learning you have bc, then gathering the information is exhausting - and on to treatment.

The following 2nd year it begins to become easier and the memory of chemo begins to fade.
Now after 5 yrs. I am living a happy normal life. Certainly not the same happy and normal life I lead pre-bc....but that is okay. The journey has taught me so much. For instance, I was in a farmers market and I noticed a woman who was wearing a silk scarf wrapped around her head with long flowing tails down her back.
It was obvious to me that she was in chemo treatment. She glanced at me and I smiled. She smiled back, we began chatting and I told her she looked beautiful in her scarf. She had tears in her eyes and I reached out to her and hugged her and she responded and whispered in my ear that she was having chemo trt for bc. I whispered back I understood. Since then she has completed chemo
and we have become good friends. This would never have occurred prior to my dx. I would not have had the courage to approach her.

I appreciate everything - everyday. I certainly don't let the small stuff bother me at all. (I have to admit) even the
larger stuff. After bc my attitude has changed and grown into a peaceful and flexible phase. My relationships have grown and my husband & I enjoy each day with more warmth and deeper love.

I am also thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on the board. Your wisdom, kindness is a generous gift.
I thank Christine and Joe for their wisdom to create the Her2 support group. I cannot even begin to imagine life without it.

Warmly,
Jean

Bill 04-28-2010 07:25 PM

Re: 5 yrs. have past..

Congratulations, Jean! You are a wonderful woman and will always have a special place in my heart.

Mary Jo 04-28-2010 07:38 PM

Congratulations Jean......you post here was very inspirational and oh so true. Approaching my 5 year cancerversary in a few months I feel the same way you do.

Thanks for letting us know so we, too, can share in your joy.

Many blessings Jean......

Mary Jo

flynny 04-28-2010 08:18 PM

Congrats on the 5 year mark! I love hearing all these positive stories! Thanks for sharing.

caya 04-28-2010 08:26 PM

Congrats Jean!! Wow, the 5 year mark, what a big accomplishment.

I'm coming up on 4 years out (this October), and I totally agree with you on "Don't sweat the small (or even big) stuff."

I'm also a bit more selfish, and do what's good for me, not everyone else, most of the time.

all the best
caya

StephN 04-28-2010 10:20 PM

Congratulations on becoming another member of the very elite Five Year Club!

Thank you for sharing your feelings at this important juncture in your life. And thank you for continuing to provide support and encouragement on this board.

Joe 04-28-2010 11:01 PM

Congratulations Jean..Just take it a day at a time and the years will keep rolling by. Someone sent me this interesting article about long term survivors from the NY. Times:

Long Term Survival

It was compelling as January 15th is also my youngest daughter's birthday !!

Regards
Joe

Jackie07 04-29-2010 12:14 AM

Congratulations! Jean. Thank you for being such a wonderful role-model for bc survivors. "Knowlege is power" - you certainly have proven it.

mcgle 04-29-2010 02:10 AM

More congratulations from someone 'over the pond', Jean. You were one of the first on this site to give me hope, though our diagnoses were somewhat different. Thank you for that.

Mcgle (UK) - who is also nearly five years out

lizm100 04-29-2010 05:54 AM

Jean-
wonderful news and thank you for sharing. Your story gives us hope that good things are to come to those of us who have not reached that point yet.

MJo 04-29-2010 08:58 AM

You worked hard for this milestone. Congratulations.

tricia keegan 04-29-2010 10:26 AM

Congratualtions Jean on reaching this special milestone:)

I'll be celebrating five years also in the summer and can't believe at times that all this really happened. I'm so glad you posted too and think it so important we see the good and happy threads here along with the sad. I think it provides encouragement.:)
xx

ammebarb 04-29-2010 10:59 AM

Congratulations, Jean! Your responses to my frightened first posts about my sis were life savers! I am so happy that you have celebrated that wonderful five year mark and am wishing you scores more!

It's been twenty six years since my diagnosis, and I can relate to what you say about survivorship.

It is always a gift to find the relieved and happy posts here. They are an encouragement.

Barb A.

Becky 04-29-2010 03:28 PM

Congratulations my dear friend Jean. You are an inspiration to me and all of us here on the Her2 board.

I love you!

schoolteacher 04-29-2010 03:31 PM

Congratulations Jean. You know you are my hero.

Amelia

lkc Gumby 04-29-2010 04:12 PM

congratulations Jean on your huge milestone.
I hope your celebrating in a big way!

krisvell 04-29-2010 04:21 PM

What a great accomplishment. I hope you celebrate. I just love reading success stories! It's very inspirational.

Kris....

Yorkiegirl 04-29-2010 04:33 PM

A BIG CONGRATS Jean on the 5 year mark, from another just recent 5 year person.

I just so loved your post. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Laurel 04-29-2010 07:13 PM

Jean

I am also thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on the board. Your wisdom, kindness is a generous gift.
I thank Christine and Joe for their wisdom to create the Her2 support group. I cannot even begin to imagine life without it.

Well said, and ditto! I am so very glad you are here on our board and celebrating life 5 yrs post dx! Here's to hoping for many, many more cancerversaries!

Paty 04-29-2010 09:38 PM

Congratulations Jean!! I am also on my way, I hope I reach the mark. I will be four years out in June and I agree with you in your views, every perspective of life changes or readjusts. Life is great even with cancer, if it hadn't been for it, we wouldn't be all here together knowing what love and compasion is, giving us support and love to one another.

Jean 04-30-2010 05:26 AM

Thank you all for your kind well wishes. It never stops amazing me how the collective thoughts and feelings of our special group are so powerful. What a force!

Amelia - I remember your first post...you are one big Brave Lady!

Barb - You are our Poster Lady 26 yrs! Now your sister will start packing up the years also!

Paty, Caya -You will most certainly have the joy soon!

Tricia, Mary JO, Mcgle, - Welcome soon to the Elite 5yr Club as Steph calls it! We are cheering you over the line...

Steph - You are our big sister and I thank you.

Bill- Ahhhh Bill - you know what you mean to me.

Becky - We are in this together forever! What the heck would I do without you? Love ya back sis ta....

MJO - Your warm smile keeps everyone happy.

Lizm100 - You are on your way and we are here waiting to cheer you in.

Yorkiegirl - I think we now need to start the Terrific Ten Club...

Jackie07 -Laurel, Kris, Ikc - You have made many days special for me with your thoughtful and heartfelt posts.

Joe - Thank you for the article I loved it and I sent it to a friend who is now stage IV and fighting hard. You always seem to know what we need and when we need it. Love you.

Well if I forgot anyone please forgive...know that I love you all...and I mean it from my heart, I carry each of you with me.

Hugs,
Jean

Patb 04-30-2010 04:28 PM

Adding my late congratulations to you. You were an
inspiration to me since I was one year behind you and
read all your posts. Keep up the good work and I will
follow.
patb

Nina 04-30-2010 06:34 PM

Happy five-year anniversary, Jean!!! You are certainly an inspiration to us newbies on the Board. Your caring, sage postings are always a bright spot when I visit. Enjoy your happy time!

Gerri 04-30-2010 06:36 PM

Five down and many, many more to go. Congratulations Jean!

juanita 05-02-2010 06:35 PM

Congratulations!!!!

harrie 05-03-2010 12:07 AM

Jean, congratulations and I absolutely mean it with sincerest love and gratitude.
Maryanne

suzan w 05-03-2010 12:12 PM

Congratulations, Jean!! 5 years!!! I, too, am nearing my 5 year mark and we have communicated through the years of various issues...Keep it up, Girl!!! Five years is a long time!!! XO Suzan

Jean 05-04-2010 10:49 AM

Suzan,
Thank you - and soon you also will be a member of the five yr. club...

Harrie - Sending you years of love back to you.

To our new members....never lose hope!
My thanks to all my sisters!

With Love to all,
Jean

janieR 05-04-2010 11:51 AM

Many, many congratulations , Jean.

Sorry its so very late to congratulate you.

I intend to join the 5 year club early next year.

Janie

Jean 05-04-2010 11:54 AM

thank you for the support...
Look forward to your 5yr milestone...

best wishes
jean

karen z 05-05-2010 03:47 PM

Dear Jean,
Many congratulations to you and thank you for your lovely post. You were the first person to send me a private message and you have helped me so much and given me such wonderful advice on so many occasions. Your approach to life at this point- not sweating the small or large stuff- is some of the best advice you could give us. I keep trying Jean and am slowly getting better- you have been an inspiration to me. Thank you for all you have done for me and everyone else on the site.
Love,
Karen

Joan M 05-05-2010 06:55 PM

Congratulations!

Joan

Soccermom 05-05-2010 10:11 PM

Woohooooieee Jean! Many congratulations!!!!
Marcia

alicem 05-06-2010 06:47 AM

Jean,

Congratulations!! This is such fantastic news. I loved your story about the women in the scarf. I have taken a break from the forum, all the sad news was getting too much for me. I count you as one of my friends, hope that we can meet in person some day!!

Four more years to go before I join the 5 year club, but I WILL get there!

Alice

TriciaK 05-06-2010 08:13 AM

Congratulations, Jean! Your post was so inspiring! I was so touched by your story of the lady with the scarf and the compassion you felt for her because you understood. I am also sending my love and best wishes for many more years of "dancing with NED". No one else quite understands the elation and humility we feel after dreading the semiannual PET or CT scan as it approaches, and then being told we've "passed" for another year! I am so happy for you! Hugs, Tricia

Chelee 05-09-2010 03:18 PM

Hi Jean,
I just wanted to say congratulations on your five yr milestone. Wooo hooo! (I am up and doing the happy dance.) ;) I am so glad you decided to share this with us. It is so important for the newly dx to run across posts like yours. It offers so much hope and that is so important when first starting out on this journey.

You are a true inspriation on this board, and I'd like to peronally thank you for sticking around and continuing to offer advice, support and help to those that need it. Your such a blessing in so many ways. So here's to you and NED remaining a happy couple till the end of time. :)

Much love coming your way.

Chelee

Shobha 05-10-2010 08:45 AM

Congratulations Jean! Thanks for sharing your good news! We are all starved for good news - always. Wishing you a long and healthy life.

'lizbeth 05-10-2010 06:49 PM

Jean,

I am so happy for you! I'm half-way there at 2 1/2 years.

Yippee! WooHoo! Someday I'll be just like you!

Sheila 05-13-2010 06:14 AM

Jean
So sorry I am a month late on congratulating you on your 5 years...what a great milestone, and well deserved.
You have been so much help to me and others on this journey...may you be blessed with another 50 milestones to add to your collection.

Celebrate again for me!!!!