HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   vickie h update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41491)

Unregistered 10-19-2009 06:23 PM

vickie h update

Thank you for your support and prayers for my beautiful wife, Vickie. She has been suffering and not posting because she is worried about the others here. She is one of the most compassionate and unselfish people I have ever met.

Today she was at the hospital and Dr.'s office all day today receiving fluids as she has been very sick. They wanted to admit her, but she is fighting that and giving it her all to stay home. Tomorrow she sees a social worker and today there was talk of Hospice. I am overcome with grief at the thought of losing her. She has been my rock for 33 years, my philosopher for as long as I can remember, my best friend and advocate forever.

I don't know where to check on the TDm1 triAls, but if someone could dirrect me I will get her there somehow, anyhow. She is standing strong and holding onto her faith and hope and her humor. In the midst of all of this, she was more concerned about missing a meeting for the Homeless, which she is heavily involved in helping and raising awareness about.

Please pray for her tonight...she so loves you all, each and everyone of you who have been on this journey together all these years.

Vickie's loving Husband,
Cap

Laurel 10-19-2009 06:35 PM

Re: vickie h update

Cap,

It will be an honor to pray for your valiant, Vickie. I am so very sorry to hear she is suffering. I read her post to our dear Marie (Believe 51) earlier today and I knew she was facing her own trial.

I will pray you are able to find a way to a TDm1 trial and that Vickie has a restful night. I will also pray you have peace in this storm.

Carolyns 10-19-2009 06:51 PM

Dear Cap,

I am sorry to hear the news about Vickie. I will send extra prayers your way. Below is a link to clinicaltrials.gov. That is where the list all of the trials.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=T-DM1

Best wishes, Carolyn

Patty F 10-19-2009 07:06 PM

Cap
I am so sorry to hear about Vickie. She is on my prayer list.

Jackie07 10-19-2009 07:27 PM

Hi,

Please let Vickie know that we are praying for her.

Yorkiegirl 10-19-2009 07:31 PM

Cap I'm so sorry to read your post. Many, many prayers going out for Vickie. I pray that there is a treatment out there for her.

Sending lot's of love, prayers and many hug's.

Leslie's sister 10-19-2009 08:05 PM

I haven't been on the boards too much lately and just read some of Vickie's posts. She is a compassionate and caring person. That is very obvious in all of her posts. I will pray for her tonight and in the days ahead.

God Bless!

Lisa

caya 10-19-2009 08:06 PM

Hi Cap,

Sending lots of prayers and big hugs to Vickie from Canada.

all the best
caya

ElaineM 10-19-2009 08:20 PM

I am very sorry about Vickie. I will keep my fingers crossed for her. By the way, I posted some information you both might be interested in. Please go to Vickie H trailblazing to read it. Take care. Hugs to Vickie from Hawaii.

lexigirl 10-19-2009 08:42 PM

Dear Cap,

Thank you for coming here to let us know how Vickie is doing. I am sorry that she is not doing well. I am very hopeful that she will regain strength to continue tx. Please give her gentle hugs from all of us.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lex

Mary Anne in TX 10-20-2009 03:18 AM

Cap, thank you for taking time to let us know about Vickie. She is one very special human being! She has always seemed to glide through life on her faith and love. She has inspired me so many times and it hurts to know that she is in such a fierce battle.
I hope you get an answer about the TDM1 trials quickly.
Knowing how Vickie treasures her family, I know that you will stand strong by her now. Please, please let us know how things are and most of all let Vickie know that she is so loved and appreciated. It's not time to protect us, but to let us love and support her through this storm.
Love and prayers to each of you, ma

Mary Anne in TX 10-20-2009 03:56 AM

Cap, I checked my clinic's web site for clinical trials and found a good list. See if this will help.
Go to www.stoh.com
then to clinical trials
then to clinical trials database
then to breast cancer
Each trial gives the contact person and location.

Hope this can help find something quickly for Vickie.
ma

WomanofSteel 10-20-2009 08:14 AM

Prayers coming your way for Vickie. She is a caring person and I hope she is feeling better soon.

Shobha 10-20-2009 08:20 AM

Praying deeply for our dear Vickie. God bless her and guide her to the right combination of drugs to win this battle!

hugs,
shobha

Terri B 10-20-2009 08:34 AM

Cap,

I'm heart broken for you. I wish there was more to say. Tell Vicki that I'm praying for her.

From one Yankee fan to another.

Patb 10-20-2009 09:55 AM

Adding my prayers for Vickie. I love her spirit and
hope she finds a trial.
patb

Bill 10-20-2009 06:45 PM

I'm praying for you and Vickie, Cap. I hope she can get into a trial. Please tell her we said hello, and we are with her and you.

Faith in Him 10-20-2009 08:41 PM

Please let Vickie we love her and that we are praying for her. She is a wonderful person. Her spirit is just beautiful.

Tonya

Jean 10-20-2009 09:26 PM

Dear Vickie and Cap,
My prayers will be said for both of you.

Jean

SoCalGal 10-20-2009 09:56 PM

Cap,
Please tell Vickie I send her my love and prayers for healing. Flori

Sheila 10-21-2009 04:53 AM

Cap, Keeping both you and Vickie in my thoughts and prayers that you can get her into a trial soon....sending our love to you both.

mmoons 10-21-2009 08:19 AM

Cap,

Last year when I came to this site for the first time, your Vickie wrapped her virtual arms around me and supported me and cared for me! Please give her my love. I hope she feels the outpouring of prayers coming her way from everyone here. My heart is broken to read your post. She is so incredibly special. My love to you both.

Maureen

chrisy 10-21-2009 10:56 AM

Hey Cap,
Thank you for the update, you and Vickie are most definitely held in prayers. I cannot imagine how hard this is for you.

Check into T-DM1 trials, I believe Chelee is working to get into one at (I think) UCLA. I'd suggest calling there, or calling Genentech as the listing of locations on the clinical trials website is NOT accurate or complete. Or push her oncologist to find trials for her.

The first priority is of course to regain stability in general with her health issues. Not only for the obvious reasons, but also because this is necessary in order to qualify for trials.

Ellie F 10-21-2009 11:12 AM

Hi Cap
I am so sad to hear that Vickie is now so poorly. I cannot believe it. When I joined the board Vickie inspired me to carry on and look for other treatment options, which I did. Please search for a trial for her and please don't let her give up.
Ellie (England)

Unregistered 10-24-2009 01:04 PM

Thank you all for your prayers. Vickie is doing better today and we are looking at trying to get her to M.D. Anderson or Idaho (there is a TDM1 trial there. Her chest is bandaged now from all the bleeding skin mets, but she is such a trooper. Her sister is here with her and she is happy. She is not giving up by any means. Her strength amazes me more every day. I will keep you updated, but please know how much she loves all of you and cares deeply for your well being and peace.
Cap

schoolteacher 10-24-2009 01:11 PM

Cap,

Thank you for letting us know how she is doing. It amazes me her concern for others in the community while she is going through this. Please let us know if she gets into the trial or goes to MD Anderson.

I am glad she is better.

Amelia

StephN 10-24-2009 01:33 PM

Dear Cap -
Thanks for letting us know about Vickie.

My new mantra: Vickie, Idaho. Vickie, Idaho.

Hope you are in touch with Tolley there. She is the coordinator. I hear the trial will close soon so do not waste a moment on this.

They are just opening a brand new building and are in process of moving, so hope this will not slow you down.

P.S. From our experience with Vickie here, it is just like her to put concern for others ahead of her own plight! It is HER turn ...

Mary Anne in TX 10-24-2009 01:40 PM

Cap, thanks so very much for letting us know how Vickie is today! She's getting lots and lots of love and virtual hugs each day from her sister warriors!
I'm surely praying that she gets to where ever she needs to be to get the bestest help possible.
Tell her again how much we love her. ma

lexigirl 10-24-2009 03:07 PM

Thank you for the update, Cap. I am so happy that Vickie has her sister visiting and is in good spirits. That is good medicine there! I am hopeful that a trial will work out very soon.

Love,
Lexi

Jackie07 10-24-2009 03:12 PM

Thanks for the update. Please convey our love and prayers to Vickie.

Joan M 10-24-2009 05:02 PM

Cap,

I'm praying for Vicki, that she will find a trial.

Carolyn provided a link to the T-DM1 trial. You can also ask Vicki's onc to speak with a doc at your facility that handles trials, which can help out.

Joan

margiermc 10-25-2009 02:07 PM

My prayers are with your wife, Vickie. This is scary for me, I am newly diagnose - age47, DCIS, then liver met, all in 3 month. Now, just NED and scared. She is a fighter and God bless her - I wish I someday gain this kind of courage - I'm just lost for words, new to all this - sorry, it's a heartache for me and my family - god bless, margie

Chelee 10-25-2009 04:54 PM

Cap, some how I missed this. Vickie is such a sweet, caring, compassionate, loving woman & I so hate hearing this news. She has always seemed to have so much to deal with, yet was always finding time for all her Her2 sisters...including me. She is such an amazing and inspriational woman. I don't think there is any of us here that wouldn't do anything we could for her. I'm glad she hasn't given up and is ready to push onward. If anyone can do it...Vickie can...especially with the love and support of you by her side.

Chrisy is right...I do know of two TDM1 trials that Dr. Slamon told me about. But this study is only for patients with Metastatic Her2-Positive Breast Cancer who have not received prior Chemotherapy for metastatic disease. Which I fit into since all I've had is TCH when first dx. There seems to be quite a few TDM1 trials which is making it difficult for many of us patients that are trying to find one that we can be accepted in. Please tell Vickie I have her in my thoughts & prayers daily. She really so special...tell her I send all my love. (Hugs coming your way Vickie!)

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX 10-26-2009 05:15 AM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_16.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_8_14.gif for our sweet Vickie today! ma

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZCxdm994YYUS

michka 10-26-2009 06:51 AM

Cap, hug Vickie for me and tell her she is in my thoughts. I hope you can find a way to get her in a Trial. Love to both of you. Michka

Midwest Alice 10-26-2009 12:36 PM

I vote for Idaho! Love and hugs Vicki. Prayers for you and your family

Unregistered 11-06-2009 01:39 PM

Thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes.
We are in touch with Tolli up in Idaho for the TDM1 trial and if all goes well, we will be flying up there next Friday or the following Monday. We are waiting for the results of her brain MRI and ekg, as well as some blood tests that should be in today. If she passes these, she will be in the trial for sure. If not, her Onc in Santa Monica has a phase I trial (sounds a little sketchy) she can start with Alimta. Right now we are plahing the waiting game. Her Onc up here, where we live wants to put her on Herceptin/Tykerb but non of her Oncologists are looking at long-term survival at this rate. We are praying for anything we can get.
Her skin mets are pretty extensive, open and weeping from all the necrotic tissue. I never knew IBC could look like this and it has me worried.
She misses all of you so very much and talks about you everyday. She just hasn't had the strength to use the computer, but she prays for all of you daily. You have become her family and her hope and her dear friends. She speaks of you in such loving terms and cares for you so deeply.
I will keep you posted and as soon as her anemia gets better, she will be here to talk to you again. Right now, she is on pain meds and sleeps a lot.
Please keep her in your prayers as you are always in hers.
Cap

Mary Anne in TX 11-06-2009 01:48 PM

Hi Cap! I wish that you didn't have to write this message but one of recovery! Vicki's heart is so big and so very kind, we miss her terribly here each day. Please let us know the results of the blood work and which treatment she will be on. I keep praying for Vicki and believing with all my heart that she will conquer this awful disease one more time. Much love to you both, ma

StephN 11-06-2009 01:57 PM

Dear Cap -
I am still chanting that mantra - Vickie, Idaho, Vickie, Idaho.

There is a topical cream that has helped a lot of women with skin mets called IMIQUIMOD. I learned about a trial that is using it with Abraxane here in Seattle at the Tumor Vaccine Group open house I attended last night. The doctor in charge says that those with extensive skin mets don't do as well, but that cream is used off label.

Still the best results I have heard about with skin mets is the T-DM1. GO, Vickie! Pass those criteria with flying colors.

TriciaK 11-06-2009 07:35 PM

I feel so much concern for you and Vicki. She has been such a warrior and such an example to all of us. Please remind her again how much she is loved and how we are all praying for you both, and please let us know as much as you can how she is doing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you to find what is needed to help her. Hugs, TriciaK