HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Fire up the flux capacitor...new drug trial for me! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53436)

chrisy 03-12-2012 01:09 PM

Fire up the flux capacitor...new drug trial for me!

Oooh. Probably should have posted this BEFORE the Benadryl drip:)))))
Well,I can still blame the iPad spellchecker.

Im 90 minutes away from my first dose of yet another study drug, mk2206 whIch is an akt inhibitor. It is a small molecule dru, take in pill form, which targets a growth signaling pathway downstream from her2...- as well as some others if I recollect the slide at sabcs correctly.

It's somewhat back to the future for me - this is the trial iwas trying to get into last June, but couldn't because my platelets were too low post TDM1.

It is another phase 1 dose escalation study, but in this case they have already found the MTD and are just expanding participants in at that dose. Unlike the mm302 trial that didn't do much but maybe was just not a high enough dose in my case.

So perhaps there is a reason why this trial was a no-go for me last year..

Although the mk2206 is a targeted therapy, In dthis study it is combined with herceptin and taxol, so in a way that's kinda back to the future too as my initial therapy in 2004 was TCH.

Hoping this will be a killer combo!

karen z 03-12-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Fire up the flux capacitor...new drug trial for me!

Sounds like a dynamite combo!!!
Keep us posted every step of the way.
Love,
Karen Z

JennyB 03-12-2012 01:54 PM

I hope so too - good luck xx

ElaineM 03-12-2012 02:50 PM

It sounds like you are once again a pioneer. Good luck on your latest journey. Take good care of yourself.
Let us know how it goes. I have my fingers crossed for you too.

Laurel 03-12-2012 05:13 PM

To boldly go where no man (or woman) has gone before!!!!! Good luck with the voyage. Hope you zap those Romulens (sp?) along the way!

1rarebird 03-12-2012 05:49 PM

Chrisy,
Once again I am so thankful for yet another brave woman like you taking the risks so others (even men like me) may eventually benefit from their effort. I am hoping that in this case there are plenty of rewards in store for you. Thank you.
--bird

KDR 03-12-2012 05:55 PM

Go, Chrisy! Wishing you speedy results and final destination to NED.
Love
Karen

Mary Anne in TX 03-12-2012 07:06 PM

I second all the well wishes. ma

Debbie L. 03-12-2012 07:07 PM

>>So perhaps there is a reason why this trial was a no-go for me last year..

YES! Holding that thought, with lots more good thoughts added . . .

Debbie Laxague

Paty 03-12-2012 07:36 PM

Great Chrisy!! Best of luck with this new trial for you. Hugs.

caya 03-12-2012 08:20 PM

Go Get'em Chrisy!!

Wishing you a speedy voyage back to NED!!

all the best
caya

Pray 03-13-2012 05:12 AM

Thank you Chrisy! You have done so much all ready Gods blessings to you!

NEDenise 03-13-2012 05:26 AM

Flux capacitor?
Romulans?

I knew I loved you guys for a reason! Sci-fi geeks unite!
Go, Chris! While you're zapping Romulans...hope you also catch any cancer beasties trying to "Kling-on" to your healthy self! And, I hope the future has you back to NED soon!
Denise

PinkGirl 03-13-2012 06:31 AM

Is Barry with you?

Emelie B 03-13-2012 08:22 AM

Well, if doc can't get the flux capacitor working, I am sure Scotty would be glad to beam you up.
Best of luck on your new journey and a big "thank you" from all of us.
Wishing you the best,
Emelie

Sheila 03-13-2012 09:50 AM

Flux Capacitator....is that something to cook Potato Balls in??? And you could spell that while on Benedryl???
i am impressed.....hoping this new drug will be your prince....I mean your frog! We know you have to kiss alot of frogs before you find your prince!

BonnieR 03-13-2012 10:39 AM

I'm with the others. You are a rock star! For alot of reasons beginning with being able to type all that technical stuff whilst on Benedryl! I would be sitting there drooling.
Keep the faith.

StephN 03-13-2012 02:26 PM

My money is on a good initial whack, finding NED, cutting back to maintenance and holding that course. No dragging anchor this time!

tricia keegan 03-13-2012 03:29 PM

Good luck Chrisy, live long and prosper !

KsGal 03-14-2012 12:43 PM

Prepare for liftoff! You certainly are a trailblazer. I know we all appreciate so much you ladies who are willing and able to do these drug trials and help us get closer and closer to that cure we have all been waiting for. Go get em, Chrisy!!!!! Lots of positive energy being sent your way.

Delaney 03-14-2012 01:30 PM

Best wishes Chrisy, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

chrisy 03-14-2012 04:31 PM

hahahaha

You guys and gals all crack me up!

Today, I'm the one feeling whacked - but at least I made it out of bed and to work by 8:30 today as opposed to yesterday when I slept straight through till NOON! Didn't even hear the phone ring with the "Hey Chris, are you ok?" call.

I imagine it will take a little while to figure out what's doable in terms of my work schedule. Last time I had taxol, I would get treated on Friday afternoon then just chill all weekend. Different story getting up and going to work the next day. Maybe the good news there is I can be dopey at work and fully ready to play on the weekends!

I've been VERY spoiled by all the years of relatively "easy" targeted therapy, been a while since I've been smacked down by a real chemo! Can't wait to drop the steroid dose, my face looks like a strawberry.

Steph, I'm with you - slap it down, get it back in a maintenance mode and definitely no more dragging anchor.

No Pink, Barry is not with me, but the "treatment room" which is really an old hospital room is quite dreary so next week I'm bringing in some decorations for myself. I'm thinking flamingos and palm trees. I have those things already, so need to do special shopping. I have to focus the shopping on some new hair as I think I'll be needing some in a couple of weeks.

Wish it was all as much fun as it sounds...but I guess ya can't cry and moan ALL the time.

Sheila, we gotta get you some potato balls. I think you're obsessing. Not that I blame you!

Jean 03-14-2012 04:46 PM

Chrisy
Here is to amazing results...as you are an amazing woman.

Best Wishes,
Jean

Laurel 03-14-2012 05:33 PM

Flamingos, palm trees, pina coladas (sp???) ......

Sorry to hear Taxol is knocking you off stride. I had my eyebrows an lashes after 4 rounds of AC, but then came that stinkin' taxol and there went my lashes and brows. Must say I am not a fan either, Chrisy.

tricia keegan 03-15-2012 12:40 PM

Taxol was'nt so bad for me after a/c but I too lost my eye lashes and brows and developed some neuropathy but overall I found it to be fairly okay to tolerate.:)

fullofbeans 03-15-2012 05:59 PM

All the best with the new trial and sorry to hear about taxol side effects but hey strong stuff strong results.. best wishes

sassy 03-15-2012 07:54 PM

Taxol wasn't one of the fun ones for me..........but I bet you will MAKE it FUN! If anybody can--you can. How about Taxol Parasols??????

Hang tough!

Joan M 03-16-2012 06:46 AM

Yes, just take the pink flamingos off the front lawn and bring them to the hospital, that should cheer up you and everybody else. But if you do anything, just get back to NED!

Joan

Jackie07 03-16-2012 11:52 PM

Sending you good vibes, Chrisy. My chemo schedule (in 2007) on Thursday afternoons went well for me when I was teaching full-time. I was able to work on Friday and then slept through Saturday and Sunday.

KDR 03-17-2012 06:34 PM

Chrisy,
Wishing you the best on this protocol. Taxol was originally in mine, then let go. Will that be the case for you?

Love
Karen

chrisy 03-17-2012 10:34 PM

Karen,
The protocol doesn't drop taxol, but after a few cycles you do get to "skip" some. I have a ways to go before even that milestone tho!

Psyching myself up for #2 on Monday. This is a shorter day just infusions, not waiting around an extra 6-8 hours for a blood draw afterwards. I'm also wondering if the herceptin "loading dose" partially accounts for how wiped I was. In addition to the 12 hour day right after the time change:)

So, a new adventure next week! Also, at some point I'm supposed to get a port..but this gang is not super good about scheduling and communication. The nurse told me last week that everyone on this trial has had to get a port, even if they've had prior chemo peripherally. She thought there may be something to do with the interaction with the study drug. Between that and shopping for hair it should be a busy week!

PinkGirl 03-18-2012 07:44 AM

Hey Chris Y ... It's okay with me if you want
to take my picture with you when you're hair shopping.

Mtngrl 03-18-2012 07:49 AM

Good luck! Praying this is your ticket to NED again. (And that it helps others as well.)

Lori R 03-18-2012 10:07 AM

Chrisy,
Thank you...thank you!!! You are so brave to try these new drug combos. I am so hoping this proves to be another magical combo.

Best wishes....Lori

chrisy 03-18-2012 01:08 PM

HAHAHAHA PinkGirl - I'll do that! Or maybe I'll take KDR's photo too. Why not have multiple looks!

Yesterday I was channeling my inner Alan Brady...
On that topic, I know most of you are TOO YOUNG to remember the old Dick Van Dyke show, and I'm showing my age by telling you this...but my mom's favorite episode was one called "Coast to Coast Bigmouth" in which Laura Petrie accidentally blabs on a TV Game show that Alan Brady (her husband's boss played by Carl Reiner) is bald. There is a scene where he has all his hairpieces sitting on their stands and he's talking to them. I did that last night, hauled out all my old wigs, washed them and lined them up in the bathtub...auditioning them for the next party hair girls club.

Check it out here if you want...the scene with the hair is near the end

http://www.hulu.com/watch/114027/the...0,vepisode,1,0

Laurel 03-18-2012 06:25 PM

Not remember the Dick Van Dyke show? I LOVED that show! Remember how they slept in separate twin beds? Mary Tyler Moore was only 18 when she began that show!

Go smack the s*#t out of that cancer crap this week, Chrisy! I'll be cheering for ya!

stl4 03-22-2012 07:59 AM

Chrissy, We have chatted a couple of times on private chats. I just completed my 26th round of taxol and herceptin and will continue on this until I start to have some adverse side effects. So far nothing!

You are such an inspiration to me since our stories are so similiar.

I think you were wiped out do to the herceptin loading dose. I went on vacation last week and had a week off. I was given a double dose of herceptin the week before and it knocked me for a day.

Keep up the fight, we are all behind you.

Pam

fullofbeans 03-30-2012 04:59 PM

Sounds good and like a powerful combo..go Chrissy I think you have such an amazing attitude!